• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
104th Grey Cup game thread
Ladies and gentlemen...

THIS is why there's two divisions.....
Warning:  Brain May not be Engaged.
Thanks given by:
Worst play of the game:
Tie:
Not holding on to the ball on the onside kick and calling for Bo to run on the 2 yard line.

Play of the game
Foot tackle by Kanneh on Bo to prevent a touchdown!

RED BLACK ARE GREY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Thanks given by:
BMO Field looked great. The atmosphere was excellent.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-27, 11:05 PM)cflisthebest Wrote: Ladies and gentlemen...

?

Redblacks still would have made the playoffs in a one division league. (they just wouldn't have hosted a game)

they still would have had to beat two better teams to win. (maybe 3 depending how they set up seeding)

it being a two division league, had nothing to do with how this final played out.
Thanks given by:
Congrats to Ottawa on a great upset! I think it should be one division, a sub 500 team shouldn't host a division final.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-27, 11:05 PM)cflisthebest Wrote: Ladies and gentlemen...

Absurd. Calgary played a tougher team in their division final and lost important players due to injury. 

Ottawa with a far weaker record had it easier. 

(and this coming from an Eskimos fan happy that Calgary lost)
Thanks given by:
I believe the second worst team in North American professional sports to ever win the championship based on regular season record.

Good for Ottawa but I hate Burris.
Thanks given by:
I went into the game hoping Ottawa would give the Stamps a run.

Man, what a game!

Happy for the diehard Ottawa football fans who have suffered so many losses - games and franchises - since the last Grey Cup win.

Happy that Calgary got humbled.

The game had me on the edge of my seat, and I really didn't care too much what happened.

Fantastic game rounds out a disappointing Grey Cup week - hopefully lessons learned for future events.
Thanks given by:
Why did Toronto get the 104th Grey Cup when they already had the 100th and 95th? I guess they just moved to a new stadium (which IS a nice stadium), but Hamilton just BUILT a new stadium, so I would have thought building a stadium trumps moving into a stadium that didn't really want you to begin with., especially since Hamilton hasn't hosted it since 1996.

With Ottawa hosting next year, I'd imagine it's going back out west the year after that, so Hamilton still probably can't host for another few years.

Anyway, the event looked great, loud engaged crowd, and the game was obviously as dramatic as they come.
Thanks given by:
While I don't watch very much CFL football anymore, I was a die-hard Eskimos fan up and till my early 20s.

In the 80s and early 90s I cared about the Eskimos almost as much as I cared about the Oilers (almost).

Anyways, I still watch bits and pieces here or there but decided to ensure I watched the 2nd half last night and boy am I glad I did.

That was an epic football game and I'm happy for the league and its fans.

Great performance by One Republic as well.

Good job CFL.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-28, 09:48 AM)Pouzar Wrote: While I don't watch very much CFL football anymore, I was a die-hard Eskimos fan up and till my early 20s.  

In the 80s and early 90s I cared about the Eskimos almost as much as I cared about the Oilers (almost).

Anyways, I still watch bits and pieces here or there but decided to ensure I watched the 2nd half last night and boy am I glad I did.

That was an epic football game and I'm happy for the league and its fans.

Great performance by One Republic as well.

Good job CFL.

I don't really watch much football, be that CFL or NFL. Not one of my preferred sports, largely because I find it pretty slow, there will be a ~5-15 second play followed by ~20-30 seconds or even several minutes in between plays if there's any kind of injury, flag on the field, timeout, etc.

I did find last night's game to be pretty fluid though, plenty of long drives, big passes, exciting interceptions, etc. Interesting to read comments on reddit where you see Americans who happened to tune into the game and found it to be very exciting relative to a lot of NFL games. There were some comments on there about how the CFL has better rules to create a more fluid game.
Thanks given by:
I saw a few moments of the game near the end, and had to change channels out of frustration. I never did follow the game clock rules of the CFL, and the clock didn't seem to move much in the final moments of regulation. Maybe you can explain them to me CFListhebest? How do they differ from the NFL?

Saw the final Redblack TD in OT. I wonder why they went for the 2 point conversion? It seems rather an unorthodox move?
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-28, 12:00 PM)Cornholio Wrote: Saw the final Redblack TD in OT. I wonder why they went for the 2 point conversion? It seems rather unorthodox move?

Its the rule - in OT, if you score a TD, you have to go for two.
Thanks given by: Cornholio
Thats an odd rule.. wonder why it exists?
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-28, 12:05 PM)RyeRocks Wrote: Thats an odd rule.. wonder why it exists?

Force the teams into the play that isn't as much of a gimme. It's more likely to end the game quicker. 

I've not read that anywhere but it's my guess
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-28, 05:35 AM)tm123 Wrote: I believe the second worst team in North American professional sports to ever win the championship based on regular season record.

Good for Ottawa but I hate Burris.

Well, both the B.C. Lions( 2000 )& Calgary( 2001 )also won Grey Cups with losing records, both finished 8-10 during the regular season I believe...
Thanks given by:
Thats actually not a good thing imo. A team with a losing record winning the championship 3 times in the last 16 years.

Too many teams in the playoffs, and wonky seeing system help create that possibility.

In the NFL, the worst team to ever win the SB was 10-6
Thanks given by:
There must have been some teams with crappy records who went onto win the Stanley Cup.
Original six - 2/3rds of the teams got into the post season, and for years afterward about the same got into the playoffs.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't point out my '79 Rams bungled their way into the SB with a 9-7 record.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-28, 12:05 PM)RyeRocks Wrote: Thats an odd rule.. wonder why it exists?

The mandatory 2 point rule is probably to cut down on the length of overtime. Compared to hitting singles after a TD the percentage for 2 point converts drops by a fair bit. So one team misses and then another hits the 2 point convert for the victory. Just my guess as to the reason.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-28, 04:40 PM)Cornholio Wrote: There must have been some teams with crappy records who went onto win the Stanley Cup.
Original six - 2/3rds of the teams got into the post season, and for years afterward about the same got into the playoffs.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't point out my '79 Rams bungled their way into the SB with a 9-7 record.

Yeah, looked it up earlier, and 4 out of 6 teams making the playoffs did lead to some stanley cup winners with a losing record.  Exact same issue.
Thanks given by: