Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2015/16 Hot Stove
It's disappointing the Jays didn't sign Price, and even more unfortunate he's going to an AL East rival.
Thanks given by:
Red Sox were the only team out there willing to shell out that kind of dough for David Price; not even the Cubs, Dodgers, or Cardinals, contenders in the National League. Granted, that would've been a bit of an adjustment for Price, leaving the East Coast and switching leagues in the process....
Thanks given by:
If Anthopoulos were still with the Blue Jays...does he offer Price $31 million?
Thanks given by:
I don't think so...because its still Shapiro making the decision.

may have played a factor in his decision to leave.
Thanks given by:
(2015-12-01, 06:19 PM)ckendall Wrote: If Anthopoulos were still with the Blue Jays...does he offer Price $31 million?

No chance in hell. He's not that dumb.

Like I said in another thread, the Jays dont need high priced FA pitching. It would be a mistake.
Thanks given by: ckendall
Here's an interesting stat someone posted over at fangraphs. The Tigers 2014 opening day rotation is currently worth $769 million dollars.

-Price, $217MM
-Scherzer, $210MM
-Verlander, $180M
-Porcello, $82.5M
-Sanchez, $80M

Also Dave Dombrowski has traded for David Price, traded away David Price and signed David Price as a free agent all in the past 16 months haha.
Thanks given by:
Yeah I saw that 'rotation' earlier lol.

What's also interesting about the Dombrowski/Price connection is that contract negotiations last offseason in Detroit went nowhere, on a team that's never had a problem spending money. Hard to imagine Dombrowski not offering him a Kershaw-like extension then.

So he goes to the Red Sox, which reportedly wanted to pull back on spending this year, and he convinces them to give Price the richest deal to a pitcher ever.

Just weird to me that this happened in Boston and not Detroit a year ago.
Thanks given by:
(2015-12-01, 11:38 PM)shadylane Wrote: Just weird to me that this happened in Boston and not Detroit a year ago.

Meh. Could be alot of things. Could be as simple as he wanted more control over where he played the next half of his career. Remember he had been traded 2 times in a year and a half. The first time was from the only org he had ever known (and reportedly he did not want to go). Gotta think that affected him a bit. Wouldnt blame him if he chose free agency just for the sole reasons of controlling his own fate.

Also, The Tigers are a massive black hole waiting to happen. In a couple years they could be where the phillies have been for the past couple years.  Would you want to sign a long term deal there?
Thanks given by:
Despite the hyperbole from Illitch, the Tigers are never going to be the top spending team in the league.

Their payroll was already around $170 million last year, I doubt they wanted to take it into the 200s.
Thanks given by:
(2015-12-02, 02:46 PM)Andrew Wrote:
(2015-12-01, 11:38 PM)shadylane Wrote: Just weird to me that this happened in Boston and not Detroit a year ago.

Meh. Could be alot of things. Could be as simple as he wanted more control over where he played the next half of his career. Remember he had been traded 2 times in a year and a half. The first time was from the only org he had ever known (and reportedly he did not want to go). Gotta think that affected him a bit. Wouldnt blame him if he chose free agency just for the sole reasons of controlling his own fate.

Also, The Tigers are a massive black hole waiting to happen. In a couple years they could be where the phillies have been for the past couple years.  Would you want to sign a long term deal there?

Price had only been traded once when extension negotiations came up in Detroit though. The Tigers had just won their division too. Ilitch has said he has no problem going past the luxury tax threshold of $189M either so I can't imagine Dombrowski lowballed him an offer, especially if yesterday his assessment was that Price was worth $217M.

But yeah, it could be a lot of things. Despite the Tigers' recent success maybe Price didn't actually see himself there long-term. Maybe the city, maybe the teammates. If it were me I'd want to play for a team with a more promising farm system as I doubt they'll be able to spend their way into another division title.
Thanks given by:
Brett Wallace is still kicking around...

signed a 1 year, 1 mill deal with the Padres.
Thanks given by:
The Cubs signed 37 year old John Lackey to a 2 year $32M contract today.

Then I saw this and laughed out loud:

Thanks given by:
ZACK GREINKE SIGNS WITH THE ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS!! Icon_eek
Thanks given by:
Thanks given by:
Hey, if you can't get Cueto, why give up trying?

What an incredible pickup for Arizona
"Larry Bird isn't white, he's clear" - Bill Murray
Thanks given by:
(2015-12-02, 02:46 PM)Andrew Wrote:

Tigers went from winning 4 straight Central Division Titles( including a pennant in 2012 )to a last-place finish. They look certainly like a team that's entering another rebuilding phase.
Thanks given by:
According to Ken Rosenthal, the 6-year deal could be worth as much as $206 million
"Larry Bird isn't white, he's clear" - Bill Murray
Thanks given by:
I heard $195M.
Heard AA would have made him an offer if he was still GM...Wink
Thanks given by:
Greinke signs record deal with D-Backs
Zack Greinke stunned the baseball world by signing with the Arizona Diamondbacks on a six-year deal worth a reported $206 million for an MLB record $34.3 million annual average.

http://www.tsn.ca
GO LEAFS GO!!
Thanks given by:
Wow. That's insane. It wasn't that long ago that some teams would have payrolls in that range.

I wonder if LA makes a push for Cueto now. They lost Grienke and didn't land Price either.
Thanks given by: