Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2015/16 Hot Stove
Drew Smyly traded to Seattle.

Tampa gets Mallex Smith, Carlos Vargas, and Ryan Yarbrough in return.
Thanks given by:
Oakland close to a 2 year deal with Santiago Casilla.
Thanks given by:
2 years 11 million for Casilla, 3 million more available in incentives.
Thanks given by:
Seattle has done pretty good building the back end of its rotation.

Smyly is a good addition.
Thanks given by:
If Casilla can limit the long balls the A's should have a solid trade chip on their hands if nothing else. Good signing.

If they could do something else substantial, like sign Bautista, it's conceivable they could be in the Wild Card race in late summer. They'd almost certainly need excellent seasons from Gray and Manaea though.
Thanks given by:
Wil Myers and the Padres are reaching an extension:

That could end up being a pretty team-friendly deal. Although looking a bit more closely at Myers' 2016 season reveals one interesting stretch:

From June 1st - 24th (a stretch of 22 games and 100 plate appearances) he hit .349/.420/.802 (yeah that's an 802 SLG) and accumulated half of his entire season's WAR during that 3 1/2 week stretch. I used this site to do the calculations myself http://wahoosonfirst.com/war-calculator/...rsion-2-1/

That was a pretty incredible stretch. Is the real Wil Myers a 3 - 4 win player every year?
Thanks given by:
Danny Duffy signs a 5 year deal worth 65 million with the Royals. He was in his last year of arbitration and was scheduled to become a free agent next winter.

Could be a pretty good deal for KC if he can stay healthy.
Thanks given by:
Angels buy out Kole Calhouns remaining arbitration years with a 3 year deal worth 26 million. 4th year option (1st FA Year) worth 14 million as well.
Thanks given by:
JP Arencibia retires:

Thanks given by:
Trumbo stays with the Orioles. 3 years 37.5 million. 4.5 million of it is deferred. He'll get yearly payments of 1.5 million from 2020-22.

Also apparently incentives tied to silver slugger awards included as well. Not sure how much though.
Thanks given by:
Dodgers and Rays apparently are close to a deal that would send Logan Forsythe to LA.

Edit - Jose De Leon heading to Tampa Bay.
Thanks given by:
Twins really botched things by not getting a deal done with the Dodgers imo. The Dodgers are the only team that could've offered a quality deal for Dozier that had the need and were looking to do a deal. Now the Twins have Dozier and nowhere to trade him.

Dodgers got a quality guy to fill their 2b hole with Forsythe.
Thanks given by:
Thole signs a minor league deal with the Diamondbacks.

was sure he'd follow Dickey to Atlanta Happy
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-23, 07:45 PM)dmc23 Wrote: Twins really botched things by not getting a deal done with the Dodgers imo. The Dodgers are the only team that could've offered a quality deal for Dozier that had the need and were looking to do a deal. Now the Twins have Dozier and nowhere to trade him.

Dodgers got a quality guy to fill their 2b hole with Forsythe.

They sure did. Forsythe could very easily end up being just as good a player as Dozier over the next two seasons.

I can understand where the Twins were coming from with Dozier's asking price - it seems like the Dodgers were holding strong on JDL as the only notable prospect they were willing to give up (and I'm thrilled they were able to keep Alvarez and Bellinger especially).

The Cards immediately come to mind as a potential spot for Dozier. I don't see Wong cutting it as a starter and Gyorko is apparently playing 3B next season. I don't think Peralta's played a game at 2B in his life and Diaz will man SS. Maybe Luke Weaver could be the main piece going to Minny.
Thanks given by:
Greg Holland has signed in Colorado on a 1 year deal + vesting option. Because if there's one place where a pitcher can rebuild his value it's Coors Field. Plain

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/01/ro...lland.html
Thanks given by:
Yeah I don't get that either. Holland unless reports were overstated, was being pursued by a lot of clubs. Colorado must've made the best offer by far you would think. Go to a team in a hitter friendly environment, who isn't likely a playoff team? Must be hoping to capitalize on small sample size, with the few opportunities he may get Silly
Thanks given by:
The Rockies aren't going to win the West but I could see them pushing for a wild card spot. Especially if they can turn one of their extra outfielders into a good starting pitcher.

It's possible he feels like he has the inside track to closing duties with the Rockies. Which, given his track record, isn't that far fetched at all. Ottavino and McGee are very solid options as well but if he closes for the majority of the year on say, an 85 win team, that puts him in line for a big payday.

And I just re-visited the link and it's updated to include this: He can "earn up to $14MM next season if he serves as the Rockies’ closer." So yeah, I imagine Colorado did make the biggest offer.
Thanks given by:
Brandon Moss to KC on a 2 year deal worth 12 million. Very backloaded apparently.
Thanks given by:
Practically half the Royals' team will hit free agency after this season so I guess that makes sense.

I wonder if the O's have any plans to improve their rotation before the season starts? As a Jays fan I hope they don't. I'm looking forward to seeing 40% of the starts go to Wade Miley and Ubaldo Jimenez.
Thanks given by:
Tampa Bay signs Colby Rasmus to a 1 year deal. 5 million guaranteed, up to 7 million with incentives.

White Sox sign Peter Bourjos to a minor league deal, salary of 1.35 million if he makes the team.

Atlanta signs Kurt Suzuki to a 1 year deal. Guaranteed 1.5 million, can earn up to 4 million with incentives.

And the Angels sign Bud Norris to a minor league deal. 1.75 million salary if he makes the team, up to 3 million with incentives.
Thanks given by: