Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2015/16 Hot Stove
(2015-12-07, 02:14 PM)shadylane Wrote: I'm so glad Seager and Urias are staying put. I'm expecting de Leon's name to be included but hoping it's more Grant Holmes + Peraza.

I can't imagine Kenley Jansen is very happy at the moment though. Seems like unless he's traded it could be another Nats situation.

Seager was never going to be moved IMHO. I dont think Friedman is that dumb even with seemingly unlimited money. Thought there might be a chance Urias was dealt but with Greinke leaving that seemed less likely.

Jansen is a UFA at the end of this year so the Dodgers may not care what he thinks. I will be interesting to see who takes what role though.  Thats an insane backend of a bullpen though.
Thanks given by:
I'm really interested to see who the Reds got for Chapman.

Thanks given by:
Wade Miley goes to the Mariners for Elias and Carson Smith. Wow. Great deal for the Sox. Not sure what Dipoto is thinking on this one to be honest.

Edit: I see RHP Jonathan Aro is also going to SEA.
Thanks given by:
Dodgers lose Zack Greinke but acquire Aroldis Chapman...not too shabby Wink
Thanks given by:
And Iwakuma too, who has been one of the more underrated starting pitchers the past couple years IMO.
Thanks given by:
They got Carson Smith for Wade freaking Miley? lol wow.

Thanks given by:
Miley is underrated IMO. That Sox pen is looking formidable though.
Thanks given by:
Miley's been a decent mid-rotation starter who can eat innings with one outlier season IMO. He's better than Elias right now but the gap may be much closer next year. Elias is 3 years younger too. Factor in salary (Elias has two pre-arb years remaining and Miley is guaranteed $15M over the next two seasons) and I think you could make a case that a one-for-one swap wouldn't have been that unreasonable a trade.

Smith has emerged as one of the better relievers in the AL and has 5 years of team control, and he's essentially being traded for Aro, their 26th ranked prospect (according to MLB.com).

Although maybe I am selling Miley a bit short here. He could very easily have another solid season (Safeco should help) and be worth 2+ WAR again. Elias is less of a sure thing.
Thanks given by:
Now the Reds are telling other teams that they have not agreed to trade Chapman to the Dodgers. Interesting. I wonder if it's part of a bigger trade or if there could be a third team involved.
Thanks given by:
Maybe he's demanding to go to the Jays. Silly
Thanks given by:
That would be a first. Wink

The reaction on Twitter to the Miley trade is pretty lopsided at the moment. 69% favour Boston, 14% for Seattle. (the poll results are in real-time so that may have changed)

Thanks given by:
Man, that Red Sox trade has me pumped. They are going to have a vicious bullpen next year
 'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.'
Thanks given by:
Oh wow.... Icon_eek

Thanks given by:
Rumour is that he fired a gun and choked his girlfriend. Yikes.
Thanks given by:

I mean..... Plain
Thanks given by:
(2015-12-07, 10:15 PM)shadylane Wrote: Rumour is that he fired a gun and choked his girlfriend. Yikes.

I read an article earlier this year about Chapman that implied he was a bit, odd, to say the least.

I think it was during one of his first seasons. A reporter spent a couple days or so at his house and the overwhelming feeling the article gives is that Chapman is a weird dude. Possibly more than that. I'm not saying it painted him as a bad guy or I thought he would do something like what he is accused of but at the same time I'm not totally surprised either.

Wish I could find it.

Found it.  It was actually from 2014.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/world-/stor...ePage=true
Thanks given by:
Cincinnati Reds closer Aroldis Chapman allegedly fired eight gunshots in the garage of his Miami-area home following an October argument with his girlfriend in which she told police he “choked” her and pushed her against a wall, according to police reports obtained by Yahoo Sports.

No arrests were made after the incident, in which more than a dozen police officers were dispatched to Chapman’s home in Davie, Fla., around 11 p.m. on Oct. 30. Chapman’s girlfriend exited the house and hid in bushes following the argument that stemmed from something she found on Chapman’s cellphone, according to the police report

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/aroldis...29095.html
Thanks given by:
Apparently the Red Sox had interest in Chapman and found out about this incident a while ago while looking into him. No surprise they ended up landing Kimbrel instead.
Thanks given by:
So former Reds manager (and new Nationals skipper) Dusty Baker decided to pour a hot bottle of crazy on the Chapman fire today.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-le...51996.html

Q. Dusty, do you believe that it’s a good thing that baseball now has a domestic policy?
DUSTY BAKER: Yes.

Q. Domestic violence policy?
DUSTY BAKER: Yeah. I think it’s a great thing. I mean, I got a buddy at home that’s being abused by his wife. So I think this policy needs to go further than the player. I think the policy should go to whoever’s involved. Sometimes abusers don’t always have pants on.

Q. Dusty, you've talked to Mike and people in the front office, is there anything that you've specifically said that you think you'd like to have on a roster that you don't necessarily have at the moment?
DUSTY BAKER: Yeah. You're always in need of left-handed pitching, left-handed hitting, and in need of speed. I think that's the number one thing that's missing, I think, in the game is speed. You know, with the need for minorities, you can help yourself -- you've got a better chance of getting some speed with Latin and African-Americans. I'm not being racist. That's just how it is.

So it wasn't the 6'4 215 lb. man with a gun that committed the assault, it was the unarmed, much smaller woman? Ok.

And if you have to finish something you just said with "I'm not racist", you probably just sounded super racist.

Man, the Nationals PR staff must be blowing a gasket today.
Thanks given by:
I will never understand what the hell the nationals were thinking hiring Dusty Baker to replace what was essentially a younger version of Dusty Baker.
Thanks given by: