Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 will be Jeff Gordon's last full time season
Announced this morning. Shocking news considering the year he just had. He actually had more points than anybody in 2014, but the Chase screwed him out of another championship. I really thought Gordon would try to go for 100 career wins, he's at 92, another 2-3 good seasons, which at 43 he likely has left in him, would do it.

One has to wonder how the new format and increased pressure contributed to this.

This makes room for Chase Elliott to move up to Cup for Hendrick in 2016 now I guess. 

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/a...ports.html
Thanks given by:
Gordon starting his TV career a year earlier than expected. Will be a rotating analyst along with Kevin Harvick and Brad Keselowski for Fox during Xfinity Series races this season.
Thanks given by:
Y'all are missing out on something special if you don't tune in this season. Best drama on TV in the sports world.
Thanks given by:
Alright thebest, I'm all in on NASCAR this year. Trying to expand my horizons in the sports world. I need someone to cheer for... thoughts?

I want to cheer for someone who's always got a shot at winning, but is considered somewhat of an underdog. Bonus points for being born in the North East.
 'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.'
Thanks given by:
its going to suck having a year long love fest for Gordon...every stop being "Gordon's last".

saw Gordon played a big part in the last lap crash at Daytona today...dropping him way back to 28th.
Thanks given by:
North East drivers narrows it down pretty good lol. Joey Logano, todays winner is from Connecticut. He's a rising star, only 24 but has 9 Cup wins under his belt already. Started driving for Penske 2 years ago and really took off. Had been with Joe Gibbs racing before that and replaced Tony Stewart in the Home Depot car when Stewart started his own team.

Martin Truex Jr. is also from the Northeast. He's a big underdog though racing for a single car team in Furniture Row racing. He's won before, and is competitive most races, but he's probably a 15th-20th place car over the course of the season. Got a raw deal when NAPA pulled there sponsorship from his race team a couple years ago when he drove for a bigger operation in Michael Waltrip racing, (for something he had nothing to do with) and he's been trying to pick his career up since then.

Those are the 2 that immediately jump to mind for North East drivers anyways. There's a few more from Indiana and Wisconsin, not sure if you'd consider that North East or not.
Thanks given by:
(2015-02-22, 05:14 PM)Chris D Wrote: its going to suck having a year long love fest for Gordon...every stop being "Gordon's last".

saw Gordon played a big part in the last lap crash at Daytona today...dropping him way back to 28th.

Yeah I'm surprised at his decision to not race in anymore 500's. When he said he was open to returning for select events, I figured this would be one for sure. 

Also it looks like he got bumped down all the way to 33rd after the final results came out. 
Thanks given by:
So I watched the last 20 or 30 laps of the race yesterday. Pretty exciting stuff and it's wild to see how close those cars get at those speeds. I thought the ending of the race was bogus though and took away from what looked like would be a fantastic finish.
Thanks given by:
Yeah there are a lot of people upset about yesterdays finish. NASCAR is citing competitior safety, yet the day before in the Xfinity race they wrecked on the last lap and they let them race to the finish. Had they not, Brad Keselowski would've won instead of Ryan Reed.

I wouldn't have blamed them had they thrown the yellow flag immediately, but they must've raced for at least another 10 seconds before they did, and most of the field was probably clear of the wreck already.
Thanks given by:
David Ragan getting another shot in good equipment. He's the replacement for Kyle Busch for as long as he's out. Ragan won twice at Roush, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him have some good runs in what is probably even better equipment with Gibbs. Ragan has been around a long time, nearly 300 Cup starts already, but he's still only 29.

Joe Nemechek will replace Ragan in the #34 Front Row Motorsports car this week. They actually approached David Reutimann first, but Reutimann hasn't renewed his NASCAR license for 2015 yet. I'm sure he's kicking himself over that decision lol. Bobby Labonte may run some races for them as well in the coming weeks.

Regan Smith will remain in the #41 car this week replacing Kurt Busch. Who knows how long that suspension will be for.
Thanks given by:
Well that was a ***** up Qualifying session. Never seen so many cars not even get on track to get a lap in. NASCAR should be ashamed. 13 cars didn't get on track, and several others had little time to spare.
Thanks given by:
Gordon wins the pole for tomorrows race, and then Danica spins in front of him in practice and he can't avoid her and is now going to a back up car. Back up car is pretty good though. He finished 2nd at Chicago and Charlotte last year in it, and was in line for another Top 5 at Texas in it before Keselowski ended his season.

Vegas was one of 3 tracks he hadn't won a pole at, so stroke that one off the list. Down to Kansas and Kentucky now, and Kentucky is the only track he's raced at that he's never won at.
Thanks given by:
(2015-03-07, 07:18 PM)thebest41587 Wrote: Gordon wins the pole for tomorrows race, and then Danica spins in front of him in practice and he can't avoid her and is now going to a back up car. Back up car is pretty good though. He finished 2nd at Chicago and Charlotte last year in it, and was in line for another Top 5 at Texas in it before Keselowski ended his season.

Vegas was one of 3 tracks he hadn't won a pole at, so stroke that one off the list. Down to Kansas and Kentucky now, and Kentucky is the only track he's raced at that he's never won at.

Can you expand on this? I don't really understand what you mean by "winning a pole". I'm assuming it has something to do with starting position for tomorrow's race? 
Thanks given by:
He had the fastest time in the final round of qualifying. Starting 1st in the race is called pole position.
Thanks given by:
(2015-03-07, 07:43 PM)thebest41587 Wrote: He had the fastest time in the final round of qualifying. Starting 1st in the race is called pole position.

Right, I knew that was called pole position, but I had never heard of how the order was determined. So all the racers in tomorrow's race have to do a qualifying round to determine the order then?
Thanks given by:
Yeah. Starting last year, on most tracks there are 3 rounds of qualifying. Top 24 times move onto Round 2, then Top 12 times in Round 2 move on to the final round.
Thanks given by: encore
Oh, don't think I mentioned this encore. When you have to go to a backup car (or change the engine of your current car, which sometimes happens, happened to Harvick last week), driver change (like when Kyle Busch was hurt and they needed a replacement), or if you miss the drivers meeting before the race (which is rare but does happen), you have to start at the back of the pack.

So that's why Gordon going to a backup is a bit of a big deal. He goes from starting 1st to last lol.
Thanks given by:
I see. And how much of a disadvantage is it starting at the back of the pack? In other words, does Gordon have any chance of winning?
Thanks given by:
Sure he does. He's in the Top 10 now with 100 laps to go. It's a disadvantage because it takes longer to get to the front, and who knows what could happen while that is happening. Someone wrecks in front of you or something like that and all of a sudden your day is done. If you'd been up near the front, the chances of that happening are a lot smaller.

And if you ever have a problem yourself, flat tire, speeding penalty, loose wheel, etc it just makes it that much harder to recover.
Thanks given by: encore
Harvick wins, best car all day. Northeast driver Truex Jr. had his best run in a long time and ends up 2nd. 3 Top 10's for him to start the season off, he's looking pretty good. Would be a great underdog story if he could keep it up.

Gordon ends up 18th after racing his way into the Top 10, but Jimmie Johnson (who looked like the only guy that could challenge Harvick for more than a few laps until he had a loose wheel) blows a tire in front of Jeb Burton (Jeff's nephew, Ward's son), who was in front of Gordon, Burton slows down, Gordon can't see what is happening and doesn't expect that and runs into the back of him.
Thanks given by: