Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 will be Jeff Gordon's last full time season
Will Harvick finish in the Top 2 for the 7th consecutive race? He's on the pole, and has more wins at Phoenix (6) than anyone, including the last 3.
Thanks given by:
(2015-03-15, 12:21 PM)thebest41587 Wrote: Will Harvick finish in the Top 2 for the 7th consecutive race? He's on the pole, and has more wins at Phoenix (6) than anyone, including the last 3.

He is having a helva season so far. He has the #88 in the Xfinity series purring as good as his cup car #4, Should be the year of the Gordon but it looking it could be Harvick. Even McMurray was hot along with the bad boy Busch
Tomorrow Is Going To Be A Great Day!!
Thanks given by:
Yeah Kurt was faster than him at times late in the race, and McMurray almost cleared him on that final restart. Nice to see both get top 5 finishes, especially McMurray. Been very underrated most of his career IMO.
Thanks given by:
Gordon lined up 2nd with 2 laps to go but had a crappy final restart, starting on the inside didn't help. Closest he's been to winning a race this season so far, ends up 3rd after Jimmie edges him at the line.

He's been fast this year, not as fast as he was last year, but still pretty fast. He should win one in the next 2-3 months and lock himself into the Chase.

Like I said in the thread about Steve Byrnes, I was at the race, Row 47 section Q in the Alan Kulwicki grandstand, which was basically just past the pit road exit in the middle of 1 and 2. Awesome seats, though I don't think there would be a bad seat in the house at that place. Too bad Junior got into it with Kahne, loop data showed Juniors car was the fastest on the track in traffic.
Thanks given by:
Gordon has got a rocket this weekend. 3 tenths faster than anybody in qualifying. At Talladega that is huge.

3rd pole of the season for him, 80th of his career.

All 4 Hendrick cars in the Top 5. Ryan Blaney was 3rd in the Wood Brothers Ford, had to break them up a bit Silly
Thanks given by:
Gordon leads 47 laps (roughly 1/4 of the race) but a late pit road speeding penalty put him back in the pack, and then he got caught up in a last lap wreck to finish 31st.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. wins after leading the most laps (67) and basically was out front the last 45 laps or so till the end. It's his 6th win at Talladega, but his first in nearly 11 years. He dominated that place at one time, with 5 wins and 2 2nd's in a 7 race stretch IIRC.

Josh Wise comes home with a 10th place finish which is a career high for him. Sam Hornish Jr. ended up 6th in his best run since he came back to Cup full time as well.
Thanks given by:
Gordon finishes 15th in what will likely be his last Coke 600. Never threatened, and was among the tail end of the lead lap for most of the race.

Carl Edwards wins on a fuel mileage gamble, and likely locks himself into the Chase.

9 different winners after 12 races, 14 more races until the Chase, could we see 7 more 1st time winners this year? (Top 7 candidate IMO, Truex Jr., Gordon, Kahne, Bowyer, Allmendinger (road courses), Kyle Busch, Larson)

Kyle Busch ended up 11th in his first points race back from injury. Ran as high as 2nd at one time, at the current pace, Tony Stewart who is currently 30th in points would be at 438 points after 26 races. Kyle Busch would have to average a 14th-15th place finish over the 15 races he will run to pass Stewart and enter the Top 30, plus obviously win a race if he will have any shot at making the Chase.
Thanks given by:
Martin Truex Jr. wins Pocono! He finally got the monkey off his back, that's the 4th straight race he's led the most laps, but first win of the year for him.

He is having by far the best season of his career so far. 13 Top 10's in 14 races so far, he'd be the talk of the town if it weren't for Kevin Harvick being absolutely unconscious so far this season. He has 10 Top 2 finishes in 14 races so far, and has only been outside of the Top 10 once, like Truex.

That's the 3rd career win for Truex Jr., but he's got to be one of the unluckiest drivers on the grid right now. Hopefully him and Cole Pearn (his Canadian crew chief) can keep things going and be a contender this year.

Gordon, who has the most wins all-time at Pocono, ended up 14th after his strategy went to crap the way the cautions fell.
Thanks given by:
not sure I agree with how the points are given out, if Johnson and his 4 wins, 9 top 5's, and 10 top 10's, can be ranked behind Truex and his 1 win, 4 top 5's, and 13 top 10's.....and only 1 point ahead of Logano who has 1 win and 7 top 5s.

doesn't seem to reward success.
Thanks given by:
Johnson is seeded 1st. Where they rank in points, and where they are seeded for the Chase, is different. Winners get seeded, after that it goes by most points. Up until Truex Jr.'s win last week, he was 2nd in points, but seeded 10th I believe.
Thanks given by:
(2015-06-12, 04:56 PM)Chris D Wrote: not sure I agree with how the points are given out, if Johnson and his 4 wins, 9 top 5's, and 10 top 10's, can be ranked behind Truex and his 1 win, 4 top 5's, and 13 top 10's.....and only 1 point ahead of Logano who has 1 win and 7 top 5s.

doesn't seem to reward success.

Or do you mean the points system in generally? It rewards wins more than any other system they've had.
Thanks given by:
I was just looking at the rankings, and Johnson was 3rd in points...and I couldn't understand why...as he seems to be doing so much better than Truex (3 more wins, and 5 more top 5s)...

it may reward more than in the past...but it still doesn't seem right...Johnson should be neck and neck with Harvick (even if a touch behind)
Thanks given by:
Truex has finished outside of the Top 10 once all season. A 29th at Bristol. And he's led the most laps in 4 straight races, and has led laps in 8 overall so far.

Johnson has 3 finishes of 35th or worse, has only led the most laps once, and has led laps in one fewer race than Truex has. Johnson when he stays out of trouble, has been better, but he's been in trouble a lot more often too though, and that's what has him behind Truex so far.
Thanks given by:
admittedly I haven't been paying close attention throughout the season...it was just a casual look at the standings that lead me to my observation.

4 wins, 9 top fives, and 10 top tens look better than 1 win, 4 top fives, and 13 top tens....even considering laps led, and the few bad finishes for Johnson.

13 times in the top 5 (including wins), vs 5 times in the top 5....doesn't seem like it should even be close. (correct me if I am adding wins and top 5s together wrong...if wins are already included in top 5s)
Thanks given by:
(2015-06-14, 04:28 PM)Chris D Wrote: admittedly I haven't been paying close attention throughout the season...it was just a casual look at the standings that lead me to my observation.

4 wins, 9 top fives, and 10 top tens look better than 1 win, 4 top fives, and 13 top tens....even considering laps led, and the few bad finishes for Johnson.  

13 times in the top 5 (including wins), vs 5 times in the top 5....doesn't seem like it should even be close.  (correct me if I am adding wins and top 5s together wrong...if wins are already included in top 5s)

Wins are included, so it's 9 top 5's. Truex has 3 6ths and a 7th, so the difference is very little.
Thanks given by:
3rd place finish for Truex the last race (who looked to be the fastest at the end of the race) marked his 14th Top 10 in 15 races. Last time that happened was Richard Petty in 1969 lol.
Thanks given by:
Qualifying rained out in what will likely be Gordon's final race at Daytona. Lineup set based on 1st practice speeds, so Gordon starts 23rd. Gordon had won both poles at restrictor plate tracks so far this season.

Race is tomorrow night at 8pm. Usually it's a Saturday night race but with the State getting Monday off for July 4th, they pushed it to Sunday night this year. Dale Earnhardt Jr. who won the last restrictor plate race, starts 1st.
Thanks given by:
Gordon's final full time season hasn't been awful, but he certainly has not run as well as he did last year. Just 3 Top 5's so far, but he does have 12 Top 10's in the 23 races so far so he has run well at times.

He looks like a solid bet to make the Chase, but with 3 races remaining before it starts he's still not officially locked in.

Gordon ranks 13th in drivers points, but is actually seeded 15th for the Chase right now. 16 make the Chase. He's got a 55 point cushion on 17th (Aric Almirola currently), but that can disappear quick. Just ask Kasey Kahne Silly
Thanks given by:
Bristol announces they are creating a Jeff Gordon terrace for next season. Qualifying was this evening, Gordon qualified 24th for his last race at Bristol. Denny Hamlin won the pole in a track record time of 14.602 seconds. That's pretty quick for a .533 mile track Silly
Thanks given by:
Gordon finished 7th at Richmond and clinched his spot into the Chase in his final full-time season.

He's winless on the season, but is quite capable of pulling off a win or two at the tracks coming up during the Chase.

First up is Chicagoland, where he finished 2nd last fall.
Thanks given by: