Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Album reviews
The Kills released Ash & Ice today - they're usually a good time. I met Alison Mosshart on a dread weather tour. As fierce as she is on stage, she's actually quite shy and timid off it.
Thanks given by:
Anyone listen to the new Band of Horses record yet? I really found it hard to get into much after their debut album Everything All the Time but this new one has some nice moments. Especially the song "Lying Under Oak".

Ok, just realized why I probably like the sound of this album. Jason Lytle from Grandaddy and Rick Rubin produced it.
Thanks given by:
(2016-05-27, 12:37 PM)DeanMurdoch Wrote:
(2016-05-27, 11:19 AM)shadylane Wrote: Yeah, I very much appreciate a good album start to finish. Maybe it's becoming more of a lost art with iTunes and whatnot but a lot of musicians still care.

Anyone listen to the new Stugil Simpson album? His voice says country but his music says something else entirely. I'm not sure if I love it or hate it yet.

Yeah, Sturgill Simpson is one of the few good country artists going these days. Love the new album and the one before as well.

Check out Otis Gibbs.
"I've been obnoxious.....I've been unconscious.......I've been all kinds of things that are hard to spell."

Stephen Bruton
Thanks given by:
Anyone listen to Metallica's new album yet?  I'm really digging it. Easily their best work since the Black Album.  The production is much better than their last two records.  My only gripe is with Hetfield's vocals, he just lacks the grit he used to have.

They made a video for every song and put them on youtube.  You can listen to the whole album here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...P7MZVUCdBl
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-18, 06:00 PM)Gus Wrote: Anyone listen to Metallica's new album yet?  I'm really digging it. Easily their best work since the Black Album.  The production is much better than their last two records.  My only gripe is with Hetfield's vocals, he just lacks the grit he used to have.

They made a video for every song and put them on youtube.  You can listen to the whole album here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...P7MZVUCdBl

Bought it this morning and spent my entire lunch break listening to it.   Laugh

Fantastic album!  I enjoyed Death Magnetic but this album is much better.  Like you mentioned, the production is superior.  I don't mind Hetfield's vocals.  His voice has certainly changed over the years and can't like he did in the 80's but he's still a very good singer.
Thanks given by:
Best thing

Metallica ever did.
Thanks given by:
(2016-06-11, 02:55 PM)shadylane Wrote: Anyone listen to the new Band of Horses record yet? I really found it hard to get into much after their debut album Everything All the Time but this new one has some nice moments. Especially the song "Lying Under Oak".

Ok, just realized why I probably like the sound of this album. Jason Lytle from Grandaddy and Rick Rubin produced it.

I've been a fan of this band since I first heard The Funeral on Linus Omark highlight video.  I finally heard the new stuff when I did some work up in the arctic of all places.  One of the camp cooks was playing it, and it sounded pretty good.  Everything All the Time is still my favourite, but the new one isn't bad at all.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-18, 06:11 PM)O25YearRebuild Wrote:
(2016-11-18, 06:00 PM)Gus Wrote: Anyone listen to Metallica's new album yet?  I'm really digging it. Easily their best work since the Black Album.  The production is much better than their last two records.  My only gripe is with Hetfield's vocals, he just lacks the grit he used to have.

Bought it this morning and spent my entire lunch break listening to it.   Laugh

Fantastic album!  I enjoyed Death Magnetic but this album is much better.  Like you mentioned, the production is superior.  I don't mind Hetfield's vocals.  His voice has certainly changed over the years and can't like he did in the 80's but he's still a very good singer.

Looking forward to it. I really enjoyed Death Magnetic as well. Nothing will ever compare to Master of Puppets but Metallica is one of the few older bands who I have enjoyed their new material in awhile. Didn't care for the latest Soundgarden, and it's been awhile since I've liked a Pearl Jam album. Alice in Chains new stuff has actually been surprisingly good. 

Metallica are the consummate live professionals as well, always entertain.
Thanks given by:
Enjoyed several albums in 2016,
-Finally got to listen to Disturbed's 2015 album Immortalized, David Dreiman has such an awesome voice. Saw them in Ottawa in October and it it was great
-Billy Talents Afraid of Heights Album was by far the best rock album for me in 2016. Ian D'sa is one of the best guitarists Canada has produced, the song Ghost Ship of Canibal Rats was my favourite song
Trapt released DNA which is my favourite album from them. Its Over and Unforgiven were fantastic

2017 started off strong too, one of my favourite bands Starset released their 2nd album Vessels and although its not as gooda s their debut album, it was great. Frequency and Telepathic were awesome and I love how the band makes electronic stuff work. Reminds me of Linkin Park. Speaking of LP, they are releasing a new album i May, can't wait!
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
Listened to New Years Day's album Victim to Villain, 7/10 album. I haven't heard a voice like Ashley Costello in a while.

Also heard Throw the Fights' album Transmissions, 8/10 album. I have a feeling I'm going to end up loving this band.

Checked out I Prevail's "Lifelines" album. Enjoyed the screaming vocals quite a bit 7/10 for me

Relistened to Silverstein's "I Am Alive in Everything I Touch" and "This is How the Wind Shifts". Reminded me that Canada has some great Post-Hardcore music
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
Just listened to the soon-to-be released Slowdive album (May 5). First new material from them in 22 years and it did not disappoint.

Sonically it's a bit different from what they were in the 90s but they're still devoted to the shimmering, layered guitars and reverb. I think the guy who produces Beach House did some work on it. Song writing is a little different but there are some nice harmonies going on and more intricate and exposed guitar parts than I had anticipated (a good thing, I think).

A few of the songs on the new album will translate very well to their live shows along side their classics.

Here's one of the singles.

Thanks given by:
Kendrick Lamar's new album is a thing of beauty.
Thanks given by:
(2017-04-19, 04:41 PM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote: Kendrick Lamar's new album is a thing of beauty.

It really is and the new video for DNA is excellent too (starring Don Cheadle)
Somehow it's better than to pimp a butterfly. Guy is a genius.

Also Spoon's new record is very good.
Thanks given by:
(2017-03-04, 04:14 PM)bicboi Wrote: Enjoyed several albums in 2016,
-Finally got to listen to Disturbed's 2015 album Immortalized, David Dreiman has such an awesome voice. Saw them in Ottawa in October and it it was great
-Billy Talents Afraid of Heights Album was by far the best rock album for me in 2016. Ian D'sa is one of the best guitarists Canada has produced, the song Ghost Ship of Canibal Rats was my favourite song
Trapt released DNA which is my favourite album from them. Its Over and Unforgiven were fantastic

2017 started off strong too, one of my favourite bands Starset released their 2nd album Vessels and although its not as gooda s their debut album, it was great. Frequency and Telepathic were awesome and I love how the band makes electronic stuff work. Reminds me of Linkin Park. Speaking of LP, they are releasing a new album i May, can't wait!

Agreed, ghost ship of cannibal rats is so good, def my fave song off that album. Was also at that disturbed show and it was excellent, I'm a huge chevelle fan.
Thanks given by:
(2017-04-19, 04:41 PM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote: Kendrick Lamar's new album is a thing of beauty.

It is taking forever to grow on me. The opening is so promising, Humble is great and the u2 track is actually quite good - I was afraid it'd be the most self-righteous song ever. But the rest? Not really feeling it. I'm hoping it's just a slow burn, because I was looking too forward to it. The production is ridiculous, that much is obvious.  It wasn't even my favorite release last week. That would go to Little Dragon.
Thanks given by:
Thoughts on Drake's "More Life" album?
Thanks given by: