Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
All Hands on Deck! - Game #41
The Calgary Flames are in Vancouver Friday night to play the surging, and very hot, Canucks club. The Canucks are turning their pod around and are 7-2-1 in their last ten games and have won five in a row. As in other years they are getting yeoman service out of the Sedin brothers (Henrik 2nd in team scoring, Daniel 3rd), but this year some of their young guns are breaking through with strong seasons as well. Bo Horvat is emerging as a force to be reckoned with (12 goals, 15 assists) and former Flames Sven Baertschi (11 goals, 12 assists, plus4!) seems to have grown into the player many of us in these parts thought he could be. Even former Flame (and cast-off) Markus Granlund is performing with 7 goals and 7 assists. However, defensively he looks to be a liability sitting at -15.

The Canucks also are starting to get some mileage out of Louis Erickson and Brandon Sutter. Solid, but not spectacular goaltending (until they play the Flames) is being received from Ryan Miller (2.65 GAA, .912 SV%) and Jacob Markstrom (2.60 GAA, .913 SV%) who are basically splitting duties this year. Still the Canucks special teams are struggling (27th PP, 21st PK), an area the Flames have excelled in of late.

This, and Saturday's game at the Dome, are proverbial 4 pointers. Both clubs have played 40 games and Calgary is sitting in 7th spot with 44 points while Vancouver is in 9th spot with 41 points. The Flames can deal a very severe blow to the Canucks with back to back wins and I'm sure Coach Gully would like nothing finer than to do that. This year, unlike other years, the Flames can really on two solid goalies themselves that might just be the antidote to the Sedins. We also can roll 4 solid lines and play a more possession type of game. We also have the Ferlandator and other intangibles like Hathaway and Chucky. If the Canucks take any retaliation penalties they could suffer the wrath of our power play.

So. It All Hands on Deck. Time to pull together! Go Flames!

Game time is 8:00 MST on SN?

[Image: All-Hands-on-Deck.jpg]
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S. Thompson
Thanks given by: Ramtuf , Beerisfood , FlameFilosi4
Caution: take your BP pills before watching video, Old Bear  Mischief

The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it. Orwell
Thanks given by: Nanuuk
Its time to remind them wetcoasters that they don't belong in the play-off picture!!
"What's the first thing a lion does after he wakes up?" Badger Bob Johnson
"He licks his balls" Kent Nilsson
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-05, 03:15 PM)FlameFilosi4 Wrote: Caution: take your BP pills before watching video, Old Bear  Mischief

Medic! Icon_redface
Thanks given by: FlameFilosi4
According to TSN:

Vancouver is currently missing Derek Dorsett, Phillip Larsen, Eric Gudbranson & jannik Hansen
Calgary has Troy Brouwer listed as day-to-day
Whoever stepped in to replace these guys must be doing a job as the Canucks are on a roll. We can't take them lightly.
Thanks given by: KNilsson14 , Ramtuf
From a quick look at the stats

Vancouver doesn't hit a lot
Vancouver doesn't block a lot of shots
Vancouver is good on face-offs

Bo Horvat is a danger to score on the PK
Henrik Sediin is still the focal point of the PP
Sven Baertschi is dangerous with the game on the line:  4 game-winners
Daniel Sedin & Brandon Sutter are the most likely to take a shot
Either Sutter & Granlund are the weakest defensively or they get the toughest assignments
Aaaahh..., Poor Torts doesn't get to tie the record for most consecutive wins.
The Caps shut out the Bluejackets 5-0!!

That would be a nice score to see tomorrow night for the Flames!!
[Image: HW1873P1160B368.jpg]

All hands

All hands on deck means everyone. Not just the Swabbies, but cooks, Officers and passengers, every body. Pull on a rope, push on a winch, play the pipes, pound on a drum, whatever it took.

There have been times this season when a player, a line, a pairing did not pull their weight, did not contribute as expected,  were not a part of the solution. Even times when we have said a win was a "team effort", there was always someone you could point to as being "invisible". Winning and losing comes down to having more people pulling on the line than the other guys, so the team with the larger percentage of guys who regularly show up will rise in the standings.

Which brings us to tonight's opponents who have won 5 games in a row. 6 games ago they pooped their hammocks when they showed up at the Dome. Baertschi has scored 7 of his goals in the last 12 games, before that he was sat out. Like the Ducks that got trashed 8-3 when tired, they were a different team the next time they played the Flames. 

[Image: kurtenbach3.jpg?quality=60&strip=all]
A look back

It was the last game before the Christmas break and the Fish Folk came in after a loss to Wpg very tired and mostly disinterested in playing. It was Wotherspoon's first game, and Brouwer's last, as Steeg broke his finger with a dump in,   Icon_eek  paying him back for breaking Steeg's ribs earlier. Hopefully this feud among veterans cools off.

Elliott gave up a fluky goal in the first, but the Flames dominated the game with a powerplay goal and a shorthanded goal by Gio, and goals by Chucky and that Backlund guy salted these fish away.

Tonight will be no easy sailing in the port of Vancouver. Every one needs to be on board, on deck, ready and willing to turn to when called on. 

I know that when it comes to the members of this forum, WE are ready Cool
[Image: KeyboardWarrior.jpg]

Go Flames GO!
(Whip Westcoast Willy and his Weenies!)

[Image: 98328282-3b86031460caeb990aa92602a1d1a22...d-full.jpg]
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it. Orwell
Thanks given by: Nanuuk , Beerisfood , Beerisfood , KNilsson14 , Ramtuf
{from the Flames site}
VANCOUVER, BC -- The Calgary Flames are expected to roll with the same lineup they iced in Wednesday's win over the Colorado Avalanche when they face off against the Vancouver Canucks tonight at 8:00 PM MT (SNW, SN960).
Forward Garnet Hathaway and defenceman Jyrki Jokipakka will likely be healthy scratches this evening.
Here are tonight's projected lines, defence pairings and goaltender:

FORWARDS
Johnny Gaudreau - Sean Monahan - Alex Chiasson
Matthew Tkachuk - Mikael Backlund - Michael Frolik
Micheal Ferland - Sam Bennett - Kris Versteeg
Lance Bouma - Matt Stajan - Freddie Hamilton
DEFENCE
Mark Giordano - Dougie Hamilton
TJ Brodie - Dennis Wideman
Tyler Wotherspoon - Deryk Engelland
GOALTENDER
Brian Elliott

[Image: 10756024.jpg]
{Yes Jim, there are TWO Hamilton's.}
Thanks given by: KNilsson14 , Nanuuk
A little stiff & sore from shoveling all that fluffy powder.  I think my buddy is dropping by with some rum.., so I am definitely looking forward to a HUGH effort by King Mikael & the gang tonight!!
(2017-01-06, 05:55 PM)KNilsson14 Wrote: A little stiff & sore from shoveling all that fluffy powder.  I think my buddy is dropping by with some rum.., so I am definitely looking forward to a HUGH effort by King Mikael & the gang tonight!!

No crying about shovelling in this forum. I bet Suitty had more sidewalks and driveways cleared by 8:00am then you did all day!!!

Rum is good.

Hopefuly Ferland will catch that rat Burrows along the boards... or open ice... or parking lot. Anywhere really is fine with me.
Thanks given by: Nanuuk , FlameFilosi4
The Burro has the Ferland Flu and will miss the game.
Derek Dorket Dorsett has Engelland Emphysema and  will also be absent.

I enjoy seeing either pounded. They will be missed  Mischief
Freddie didn't play that badly last game. I still think the line of Ferland/F. Hamilton/Hathaway was one of our best earlier this season. Rajn Stjn has been phenomenal this year and since we move Benny back to centre it means he's our 4 line guy. Guess this means we have depth!
Thanks given by:
Stajan may be one of the most productive 4th line guys in the league with 15 pts.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-06, 06:01 PM)Beerisfood Wrote:
(2017-01-06, 05:55 PM)KNilsson14 Wrote: A little stiff & sore from shoveling all that fluffy powder.  I think my buddy is dropping by with some rum.., so I am definitely looking forward to a HUGH effort by King Mikael & the gang tonight!!

No crying about shovelling in this forum. I bet Suitty had more sidewalks and driveways cleared by 8:00am then you did all day!!!

Rum is good.

Hopefuly Ferland will catch that rat Burrows along the boards... or open ice... or parking lot. Anywhere really is fine with me.

I am doing a couple of condos this year.., so its a lot of driveways side-by-side.  It would have been silly to be out before 8 am today with the snow still coming down.  I go when the boss calls & he prefers to do it mid-morning.

Ferland will find a target for a good clean crushing.  Its what he does!!
Thanks given by:

Keeping with nautical theme, enjoy KN!

Thanks given by: KNilsson14 , FlameFilosi4 , FlameFilosi4
No Hrudey, but we get Louie DeBrusk. Thank goodness it's not Garret the Gargoyle tongue
What? Frodo!
Thanks given by:
That Backlund guy, that Frodo guy, that Chucky !! 18 seconds. Frodo's goal.!