Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any posters been to Southeast Asia?
Hey all, 

A friend and I are doing a trip to Southeast Asia next winter (rough dates Dec 16-Jan 4). For anyone that has gone, do you have any tips or recommendations? 

Here are some basic details of our trip to date: 
We will be backpacking; no tour groups. 
We have agreed on Thailand and Cambodia. I'm pushing him to do Vietnam, Myanmar, and Laos. Due to his school schedule, it will be harder for him to do that much. He has to be back at school roughly Jan 8th in Edmonton; I can get by without having to be back in Gold Coast until the third week of January (the 22nd). 
We don't really know what we want to do. More specifically, there is so much to do, we dont know what to focus on. We want to do the basics (Bangkok, the Killing Fields, Angkor Wat). Beyond that, there is just too much to choose from.

We won't be able to do everything we want (can you ever achieve that though?) but any advice you have would be much appreciated. 

Thank you!
Thanks given by:
don't eat the dumplings from the street vendor on a bicycle. true story.
Guess what? I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!
Thanks given by: poppabyrd
Yes, I was in SE with my wife (then girlfriend) around 2005.

We did Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand.

Frankly, as far as Thailand goes we were in Phuket for about 5 days (I think) and Bangkok for like 30 hours so I'm not sure if I really have any great tips or thoughts for you but let me think about it and try and remember.
Thanks given by:
haven't been, but just about everyone I know that has been said not to plan too much. and that no matter how much time you plan, it wont be enough.
I think your basic plan of where you want to go should be enough. book a hostel in Bangkok for a couple of days to start and see who you meet and go from there.
Thanks given by: TheOilerFan83
My wife went (alone) just before I met her. She cannot recommend it enough.

She also stayed at hostels along the way and said they were some of the nicest that she's ever seen. (They had cable TV, wifi, etc. and were at most $15 a night.)
My wife lived in Taiwan for a year and loved it.

She has been to most countries and did a lot of the sites (the killing fields etc).

For shopping etc Hong Kong was great.

She stayed at a lot of sketchy places but loved being in Asia.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
I will ask her for recommendations when she gets back.

Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 03:31 PM)venison_casserole Wrote: don't eat the dumplings from the street vendor on a bicycle. true story.

I will keep that in mind  Icon_eek
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 06:09 PM)Moe Szyslak Wrote: I will ask her for recommendations when she gets back.

Awesome. Thank you.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 04:34 PM)Pouzar Wrote: Yes, I was in SE with my wife (then girlfriend) around 2005.

We did Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand.

Frankly, as far as Thailand goes we were in Phuket for about 5 days (I think) and Bangkok for like 30 hours so I'm not sure if I really have any great tips or thoughts for you but let me think about it and try and remember.

I forgot about Phuket. 

How was Singapore? I hear it's beautiful and a little expensive.
Thanks given by:
She recommends Chaing Mai in northern Thailand for a non-Bangkok experience.

Also if you are into scuba diving, Kao Tao in Thailand.

Chaing Mai looks gorgeous.

It's the name of a favourite Thai place on Gold Coast!

It's an omen..
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 03:31 PM)venison_casserole Wrote: don't eat the dumplings from the street vendor on a bicycle. true story.

And they may look like it, but no, those aren't women.
Thanks given by:
Chaing Mai is super hot.

And for a small price, she will...

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 07:23 PM)BlueMountain Wrote: Chaing Mai is super hot.

And for a small price, she will...

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Finish that goddamn sentence!  lol
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 06:30 PM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote: How was Singapore? I hear it's beautiful and a little expensive.

Singapore was awesome - we loved it.

As far as price, our accommodations were free - long story but the reason we were going was because my wife's step-dad was working in Singapore in the energy industry so we were going to visit her mom and step-dad. He got transferred back like a week or 10 days before we were coming and they moved back to Canada like immediately. We went anyways and ended up staying with friends of her parents in the same expat complex her parents were staying in.

From what I can recall, its expensive but not really any more expensive than living in Calgary but there was quite the range of expenses. For example, we ate a phenomenal meal in an outside Hawker area - tons of food and very cheap (like under $5) and then, right after, we went directly across the street to Raffles Hotel where the Singapore Sling was invented and paid $32 each for a sling.

In comparison to Malaysia or Thailand, yes, very expensive but those countries were dirt cheap (except for booze in Malaysia, it wasn't cheap).
(2017-01-11, 07:23 PM)theDC Wrote:

This is 100% the truth - the lady boys were very apparent in certain parts of Bangkok and also certain parts of Phuket.

If I can remember correctly, Phuket had three separate beach "towns" that you could go to - the largest main town was kind of like a mini-Bangkok in certain respects - the main strip was bars and was lined with the lady-boys - it was rampant - many many elderly white men "with" young Asian "women" all over the place.

It really disturbed my wife and we left that "town" after a day for one of the smaller "towns" and it was paradise.

It was so cheap as well - we were staying at fairly inexpensive places through out trip and the hotel in the main beach town of Phuket was fairly nice and was like $12 a night. I remember wondering what I could get for $50 an night and, when we transferred to the smaller beach town, we stayed at this amazing beachside hotel/resort and it worked out to like $45/night - a place that would be $400-$500/night in Florida or the Mayan, etc.
Thanks given by:
Singapore - four floors of whores is not to be missed. If adventurous be careful and maybe make certain "she" is a she. But that advice applies through most of south east Asia.

Indonesia - Bali, the equivalent of Mexico for Aussies in every way. Careful, police will try and get tourists to purchase drugs than arrest them.

Thailand - Pattaya and Phuket are the big party places, Chaing Mai I have been told is good by expat who lives there, Koh Samui is more of a family area compared to the party places.
Never been, but I have heard nothing but raves about Vietnam.

My only advice is don't swim in any rivers, you know, parasites.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 08:00 PM)Pouzar Wrote:
(2017-01-11, 07:23 PM)theDC Wrote:

This is 100% the truth - the lady boys were very apparent in certain parts of Bangkok and also certain parts of Phuket.

If I can remember correctly, Phuket had three separate beach "towns" that you could go to - the largest main town was kind of like a mini-Bangkok in certain respects - the main strip was bars and was lined with the lady-boys - it was rampant - many many elderly white men "with" young Asian "women" all over the place.

It really disturbed my wife and we left that "town" after a day for one of the smaller "towns" and it was paradise.

That is rather disturbing to hear. People talk about it but I always thought it was a half-truth and overblown. Do they at least give you full disclosure if you're trying to get with them?
Thanks given by: