Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Jays 2016/17 offseason roster thread
Morosi: Bautista hopes to return to Blue Jays in free agency
Thanks given by:
I saw that article.... I guess he should lower his asking price, eh? lol
Thanks given by:
Still 8 weeks before spring training starts, he won't be in a hurry to sign for another month or so if he's not getting the offers he wants
Thanks given by:
Backup catchers? Here are the 17 remaining free agents, sorted by their 2016 fWAR:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?po...,4298,6564

You can probably cross a few off that list immediately. Wieters probably won't take a job behind an established starter like Martin. Same might go for Suzuki.

Thole and Pierzynski, no thanks. Iannetta's probably the best remaining defensive catcher. I would take a flyer on Salty too and hope he bounces back. Avila also interests me.

I don't think Reese McGuire or AJ Jimenez would be ready to handle the promotion but you never know.
Thanks given by: Unreal
Willin Rosario is another option not listed, wants to come back to the bigs from Korea
Thanks given by:
Jays' budget set at $165 million to start 2017
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-20, 11:51 PM)thebest41587 Wrote: Willin Rosario is another option not listed, wants to come back to the bigs from Korea

Re-signed in Korea earlier this month. Not much of a catcher anymore either. Transitioned to 1B/DH in his last season with the Rockies.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-21, 02:31 PM)Unreal Wrote: Jays' budget set at $165 million to start 2017

what is that in relation to last year and how much of the $165 is accounted for as of now..? this is really not the offseason I had envisioned to get us up over the top...I still have a glimmer of hope they will do something.
Thanks given by:
Last season's opening day payroll was about $140M. By the end of the year after trades, retained salaries, etc. it was at almost $160M.

There are still moves to come. Doubt they'll begin the year with Upton and Carrera the starting corner outfielders.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-21, 03:02 PM)shadylane Wrote:
(2016-12-20, 11:51 PM)thebest41587 Wrote: Willin Rosario is another option not listed, wants to come back to the bigs from Korea

Re-signed in Korea earlier this month. Not much of a catcher anymore either. Transitioned to 1B/DH in his last season with the Rockies.

Damn. Hadn't heard that.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-21, 03:14 PM)SNLeafaholic Wrote:
(2016-12-21, 02:31 PM)Unreal Wrote: Jays' budget set at $165 million to start 2017

what is that in relation to last year and how much of the $165 is accounted for as of now..? this is really not the offseason I had envisioned to get us up over the top...I still have a glimmer of hope they will do something.

They've got about 140 million already accounted for if you include arbitration projections, and the pre arbitration guys.
Thanks given by:
we are going to see next year, that a lineup with Bautista and EE in the middle of it, is >>>>> than a lineup with Morales and Pearce in it.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-22, 11:04 PM)Chris D Wrote: we are going to see next year, that a lineup with Bautista and EE in the middle of it, is >>>>> than a lineup with Morales and Pearce in it.

Going to laugh so hard on all the whining if this ends up working out for the Jays similar to Price vs. Happ last year.
Thanks given by:
I would LOVE to be proven wrong.

I can take a laugh at my expense if it means the Jays did well. Happy
Thanks given by:
I wonder if Encarnacion is due for a decline.

Despite 160 games this year, his 3.7 WAR was just 0.1 off his lowest mark since 2012. In 2014 his WAR was 3.6 but he only played 128 games.

Morales is a liability defensively and a terrible baserunner, but he should be able to put up some good power numbers in a hitters park.
Thanks given by:
I'll be interested to see how the Indians use EE. He's probably best off as a full time DH, but Santana who's already there is as well. Perhaps they'll split the time for both between 1B and DH?
Thanks given by:
Most likely EE is mostly going to play 1B to replace Napoli.
Thanks given by:
EE has averaged 73 games at 1B per season since 2013 so he's probably capable there full-time.

As for a potential decline, that's always a possibility with a relatively un-athletic 34 year old. His swinging strike rate and K% have gotten worse each season 4-years running now, with an enormous spike in whiff rate against breaking pitches in 2016:

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/h_outcome....12/23/2016

And a very steady rise in whiffs against right handed pitching: http://www.brooksbaseball.net/h_outcome....12/23/2016

Edwin's 134 wRC+, while still a solid mark, was his lowest since 2011.

Despite being able to stay in the lineup fairly well, he's dealt with nagging injuries for a few seasons now. Who knows, maybe in a couple years we're sitting here thankful that he didn't accept the $80M offer.

Between the start of 2015 and Spring Training 2016, EE has suffered the following injuries:
finger
shoulder
sports hernia (required offseason surgery)
oblique
Thanks given by:
Yeah, he's definitely dealt with his fair share of injuries.

Even one full season over the life of his contract isn't a given.
Thanks given by:
Kinzer is apparently saying Cleveland did some things to sweeten the deal that you won't see in the numbers.

Perks?
Thanks given by: