Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Jays 2016/17 offseason roster thread
(2016-12-29, 03:58 PM)shadylane Wrote: Or maybe not.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/12/bl...tista.html

Could be they view him as a potential flippable asset. If he can stay healthy and produce he either helps them contend or they ship him before the deadline for something potentially more valuable than that sandwich pick.

If he doesn't produce it's a write off.

Risk/reward situation. Take the risk and hope for the reward.
Thanks given by:
2 year 30 million, with a player opt out with a 2rd rd draft pick option at first year end
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-29, 10:04 PM)onoilfan Wrote: 2 year 30 million, with a player opt out with a 2rd rd draft pick option at first year end

Pretty sure Jose Bautista does not have the power to distribute draft picks.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-29, 07:35 PM)dmc23 Wrote:
(2016-12-29, 03:58 PM)shadylane Wrote: Or maybe not.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/12/bl...tista.html

Could be they view him as a potential flippable asset. If he can stay healthy and produce he either helps them contend or they ship him before the deadline for something potentially more valuable than that sandwich pick.

I was thinking the same. Although I could definitely see Bautista signing on the condition that he has a no trade clause.

The corner outfield spots are a bit of a mystery still. The remaining options are not very good. But I'm just glad the front office had the foresight to see a weak market and solidified the rotation with Happ, Estrada and Liriano ahead of time. And like a possible one-year Bautista deal, those pitchers can be deadline bait if the Jays are out of it.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-30, 11:07 AM)Andrew Wrote:
(2016-12-29, 10:04 PM)onoilfan Wrote: 2 year 30 million, with a player opt out with a 2rd rd draft pick option at first year end

Pretty sure Jose Bautista does not have the power to distribute draft picks.

no he does not but can distribute it, ty him to draft compensation, does it not go to 2rd picks next year
Thanks given by:
The only way to tie a player to a draft pick is by making him a qualifying offer when he becomes a free agent. you cannot just write it into his contract.
Thanks given by:
Oh fudge nuggets...

Aaron Sanchez, is now being represented by Scott Boras.

Enjoy his controlled years...he is gone come free agency.
Thanks given by:
Some Boras clients have signed extensions prior to hitting free agency before so it's not out of the realm of possibility the Jays could keep Sanchez around. Smart move on Sanchez's part though.
Thanks given by:
Gavin Floyd minor league deal invite to spring training ok arm big question can he stay healthly
Thanks given by:
Gotta feel for the guy. He's determined as hell to continue his baseball career but his body has not cooperated. He's hit the 60 Day DL in each of the last 4 seasons.
Thanks given by:
I thought Floyd was doing relatively well before the injury hit.

If the improbable happens and he's healthy this year he could be a good arm out of the bullpen.
Thanks given by:
For sure. Didn't mind him at all.
Thanks given by:
I wonder if there's anything to this:

My guess would be some final tweaks. Maybe signing Brandon Moss and Jerry Blevins?
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 01:44 PM)shadylane Wrote: I wonder if there's anything to this:

My guess would be some final tweaks. Maybe signing Brandon Moss and Jerry Blevins?

I have over the years come to understand Brunt! When he says big my guess is big as in a huge trade to fix some of the outfield holes on the corners and a pitcher could be on the move. Let's see where this thing goes! I am very good a speculation, good or bad, lol!?
After All, Life Goes On
Thanks given by:
Yeah, the pitcher-for-outfielder rumours have been persistent. I'm not sure the Jays have enough starting depth to part with someone though. They're already one injury away from Mike Bolsinger starting.
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf

I assume Moss would have a full time outfield position?

I'd probably rather have Bautista back if that's the case.  A marginal improvement defensively, and a drop-off offensively - injury is a major concern too.
Thanks given by:
Pretty safe bet by Brunt to say that. Something is bound to happen soon.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 02:25 PM)shadylane Wrote: Yeah, the pitcher-for-outfielder rumours have been persistent. I'm not sure the Jays have enough starting depth to part with someone though. They're already one injury away from Mike Bolsinger starting.

Jason Hammel is a possibility if they trade a starter.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 06:36 PM)Unreal Wrote:

I assume Moss would have a full time outfield position?

I'd probably rather have Bautista back if that's the case.  A marginal improvement defensively, and a drop-off offensively - injury is a major concern too.

Bautista would definitely be an upgrade on Moss offensively but probably at 3x the cost. I haven't seen any indication the Jays are serious about bringing Bautista back but that can obviously change quickly.

I could see a scenario where Zeke, Upton, Pearce and Moss split time at the corners depending on the situation. Pompey could be the wildcard and force himself more into the lineup which could relegate Zeke and/or Upton to the bench more.

The Dodgers scratched by last season with a similar situation with guys like Thompson, Puig, Reddick and Kike Hernandez. It's not ideal, but if you start adding up some of the fractions of WAR of each contributor, it may pass for above average production at each position.

Upton has hit well against lefties the past two years, last season coming in at 32% above league average. Pearce has fared well against righties. That could be a potential platoon in LF.

Moss is a left-handed bat who actually played passable defense in the OF last season. And the opportunity for Pompey to cut into his playing time in RF is there if he performs.

Moss can also play 1B which means Smoak's bat won't have to get exposed over 300+ plate appearances.

Carrera would be a defensive replacement/spot starter.

That's just one scenario that came to mind. Probably not the most ideal, but at least a very affordable one.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 08:50 PM)Sportking Wrote:
(2017-01-10, 02:25 PM)shadylane Wrote: Yeah, the pitcher-for-outfielder rumours have been persistent. I'm not sure the Jays have enough starting depth to part with someone though. They're already one injury away from Mike Bolsinger starting.

Jason Hammel is a possibility if they trade a starter.

I think he should be a target even if they don't trade a starter. Let Liriano start the season as a long reliever and Hammel in the #5 spot. I don't see any way the Jays will be as lucky with pitching injuries in 2017 as they were in 2016. They'll need more than a stretched out Biagini, Mike Bolsinger and a perpetually broken Gavin Floyd behind the starting 5.
Thanks given by: