Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Jays 2016/17 offseason roster thread
(2016-11-11, 04:09 PM)Gus Wrote:
I wonder what this means for Edwin?

Means he's gone.

Thanks given by:
Yeah probably. I don't see him being an everyday 1B.
Thanks given by:
Still room for Edwin lol. Justin freaking Smoak is not going to keep them from keeping Edwin lol. Smoak is easily tradeable. Morales is basically a much better version of Smoak. Both switch hitting 1B/DH's.
Thanks given by: Sportking
According to a Team Stream report Moralles would be used as primary DH. So still hope for EE. I really don't care if Jose signs back or not.
GO LEAFS GO!!
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-11, 05:27 PM)thebest41587 Wrote: Still room for Edwin lol. Justin freaking Smoak is not going to keep them from keeping Edwin lol. Smoak is easily tradeable. Morales is basically a much better version of Smoak. Both switch hitting 1B/DH's.

But do they still have the money?
We live to survive our paradoxes
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-11, 05:40 PM)lewis94 Wrote:
(2016-11-11, 05:27 PM)thebest41587 Wrote: Still room for Edwin lol. Justin freaking Smoak is not going to keep them from keeping Edwin lol. Smoak is easily tradeable. Morales is basically a much better version of Smoak. Both switch hitting 1B/DH's.

3 years 33 million for Morales is not breaking Rogers lol.

Shapiro has alluded to the fact that payroll is going up, but won't disclose numbers for competitive reasons. I would think 175-180 million payroll isn't out of the question.

They have roughly 115-120 million committed right now to 10 players. They have  4 arbitration eligible players in Stroman, Barney, Loup, and Carrera, who combined likely won't exceed 7-8 million, and then a bunch of guys who aren't even arbitration eligible yet in Travis, Sanchez, Pillar, Osuna, and Biagini who combined won't exceed 5 million. 

You could basically say they have 19 players that will come in at right around 130 million. Should be lots of coin left for Edwin, AND Bautista, if they want them.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-11, 05:40 PM)lewis94 Wrote:

just under 3.3 million in home attendance and tv ratings like they have not seen ever...I would hazard a guess that they can afford Eddie still...
Thanks given by:
I know they can afford him, but will they actually spend is what I'm skeptical of.
We live to survive our paradoxes
Thanks given by:
Morales only started 16 games at 1B last season. Edwin 59. That equals 75.

What I don't know is; Did Morales start only 16 because KC had a much better option than Smoak?...could Morales play more? (Andrew?)

Wouldn't it be great if the Jays also signed Edwin and could get 150 games of serviceable defense at 1B between the two of them?
Thanks given by:
And the downgrade begins.

I don't see EE sticking around. I think Jays made their offer, EE said no, so they started looking other options.

Not like "right handed DH" was a need.

So now they have Morales for the next 3 years at 11 per...instead of EE for 4 or 5 at 25 per.
Thanks given by:

Who said anything about Smoak?  Edwin hasn't played more than 100 games in the field in one season since 2008.  Morales has played a total of 63 games at first the last 3 seasons (including 0 this year).  I don't see there being room for both of them. 

Also Shi Davidi tweeted this:
Thanks given by:
Morales had a major leg injury 5 years ago or so and can't move like he used to. He moves better now than he did when he first came back though. Actually played 5 games in RF this season as well.

From what I'm reading, Morales made 6 starts at 1B in 2016, and Edwin made 74.

KC has Hosmer playing 1B, who has won Gold Gloves there in the past.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-11, 06:24 PM)Gus Wrote:

Who said anything about Smoak?  Edwin hasn't played more than 100 games in the field in one season since 2008.  Morales has played a total of 63 games at first the last 3 seasons (including 0 this year).  I don't see there being room for both of them. 

Also Shi Davidi tweeted this:

Edwin could play 140-150 games at 1B easily. If people didn't think so, he wouldn't have NL teams driving up his price. 

Jays could very well think Edwins price is too high, and are moving on. But there is without a doubt still room for him.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-11, 06:16 PM)Limestoner Wrote: Morales only started 16 games at 1B last season. Edwin 59. That equals 75.

What I don't know is; Did Morales start only 16 because KC had a much better option than Smoak?...could Morales play more? (Andrew?)

Wouldn't it be great if the Jays also signed Edwin and could get 150 games of serviceable defense at 1B between the two of them?

KC has Hosmer firmly entrenched at first. But even if they didnt Morales is not anywhere near an everyday 1B. He is a DH through and through.

He also is not very good. His lack of defence and baserunning essentially make him replacement level even with 30 hrs.
Thanks given by:
So hope yet that the Jays sign EE?
GO LEAFS GO!!
Thanks given by:
The Morales article on snet is implying that Morales will be the DH and Smoak will play 1st base. If the Jays go with Smoak at 1st may as well concede the season now. He is awful
Thanks given by: thebest41587
(2016-11-11, 09:22 PM)Sportking Wrote: The Morales article on snet is implying that Morales will be the DH and Smoak will play 1st base. If the Jays go with Smoak at 1st may as well concede the season now. He is awful

He is alright defensively...better than any of the other options, including EE.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-11, 09:40 PM)Chris D Wrote:
(2016-11-11, 09:22 PM)Sportking Wrote: The Morales article on snet is implying that Morales will be the DH and Smoak will play 1st base. If the Jays go with Smoak at 1st may as well concede the season now. He is awful

He is alright defensively...better than any of the other options, including EE.

Ya and terrible at the plate. His strikeout rate is awful and he doesnt get on base. The homers he does hit are usually in meaningless games. He is not an option imo
Thanks given by:
Smoak is not an everyday player on a contending team IMO. Platoon sure, but not everyday.

Smoak is an everyday player on a rebuilding/budget conscious/80 wins are our goal team.
Thanks given by: Sportking
(2016-11-11, 06:19 PM)Chris D Wrote: And the downgrade begins.

I don't see EE sticking around.   I think Jays made their offer, EE said no, so they started looking other options.

Not like "right handed DH" was a need.

So now they have Morales for the next 3 years at 11 per...instead of EE for 4 or 5 at 25 per.

And something that should be emphasized is that Morales actually costs MORE money than EE did last season. So while EE would have cost more to keep on a new contract, if you're comparing the team to last year, we've effectively downgraded and spent more money to do so. 

This was a concern going into free agency, that EE + Saunders + Bautista were all underpaid, and thus spending the same salary we spent on them last year will most likely result in us downgrading.

Dickey's money is the only real big money that was overpaid last season and can thus be more effectively used in free agency. His salary is freed up, but we don't need to replace him. So that money can be thrown along with Bautista's salary at an outfielder + bullpen arm potentially. But will those signings be better than Bautista + Cecil? Or downgrades?
Thanks given by: