Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Jays 2016/17 offseason roster thread
Now they are apparently looking at Steve Pearce as a platoon option at first...no sir....don't like it.

Meanwhile, the outfield is looking to be Pompey, Pillar, and Upton.....yikes

But get on that corner infield spot that literally ANYBODY can fill
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-12, 12:51 PM)Chris D Wrote: Now they are apparently looking at Steve Pearce as a platoon option at first...no sir....don't like it.

It's been 2 days. Chill out.  Happy
Thanks given by: Candy_Line_up
I see the annual proclamations about how the Jays will suck have already begun. Seems like it starts earlier and earlier each year.

The Jays offseason narrative has revolved around free agents, corner outfield and DH/1B. But it wouldn't surprise me if they made a trade and really shook things up after the winter meetings.
Thanks given by:
I know it's early....VERY early...and moves are made right up to and into spring....often times there isn't much movement until the winter meetings...

But every early move lays the groundwork for where the intend to go later.

Right now, their focus seems to be that 1B/DH spot that they are seemingly going to fill to replace EE with...and I cant say I like any of the options bandied about, and the Morales signing doesn't fill that hole either.

Criticism of their moves early in the hot stove season, is only criticism of moves done or not done to now...obviously the team as it stands is not the team going into spring...I just want to see a better plan going forward, than what it looks like right now

Right now, EE out and Morales in, is a downgrade.
Thanks given by:
The Jays are still in talks with Edwin's agent.

http://www.tsn.ca/encarnacion-s-agent-st...s-1.606587
Thanks given by:
The idea of both of those bats in the same line up is very appealing.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-12, 05:31 PM)Gus Wrote: The Jays are still in talks with Edwin's agent.

http://www.tsn.ca/encarnacion-s-agent-st...s-1.606587

As one of the greatest catchers of all time Yoggi Berra said, "It't ain't over till it's over"! The same can be said of these negotiations! I hope the Jays sign EE could care less about Jose!
After All, Life Goes On!!
Thanks given by:
Thing is, at a certain point this season, when the team finally lost faith in Smoak, Edwin became our everyday first baseman. So I would imagine he'd be pencilled in at 1B for 2017 if re-signed. Toward the end of the year, Saunders and Bautista were seeing time at DH, so Morales fills that spot and obviously an OF will need to be signed.
We live to survive our paradoxes
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-12, 12:51 PM)Chris D Wrote: Now they are apparently looking at Steve Pearce as a platoon option at first...no sir....don't like it.

I think Pearce would actually be a nice fit. Mashes lefties and can play 3 or 4 positions. Baseball's offseason takes a bit longer, I wouldn't worry about the outfield, especially this early into free agency. Bautista hasn't even declined his qualifying offer yet, so they can't really spend that cash until they know for sure that he is not taking it. 

I'm confident that this management group will find replacements at both corner outfield positions, a few relievers, and grab another 1B. I think the plan is to identify players that can keep the team competitive while also bridging the gap to their young prospects (2-3 year contracts). There are some intriguing pieces out there currently, but some will have to be acquired via trade to make everything work financially.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-12, 09:11 PM)lewis94 Wrote: Thing is, at a certain point this season, when the team finally lost faith in Smoak, Edwin became our everyday first baseman. So I would imagine he'd be pencilled in at 1B for 2017 if re-signed. 

Yeah I don't think there is really any doubt that the Jays would be quite ok playing EE at first most of the time.  He is never going to be a great fielder but he is serviceable at 1B.
Thanks given by:
Team Bleacher via ESPN reporting Jays are in talks, re: Josh Reddick trade. Thought is a Reddick/Upton platoon.
Thanks given by:
In on Reddick, and have talked to Mets about Jay Bruce.
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf
I saw a story onTeam Bleacher via the Score.com, that a delay in signing a new agreement with the league and players will impact future signings this fall! Not sure what outstanding issues are there!

http://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1153962...um=twitter

With the offseason underway, teams have been hesitant to open their pockets and pursue big free agents due to a delay in baseball's new collective-bargaining agreement.

The current CBA - which expires on Dec. 1 - includes a payroll threshold of $189 million for each team. Until the new agreement is announced, teams that want to splurge on free agents will have to be patient, as organizations don't know what the luxury-tax threshold will represent, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.

Speculation from around the league is that the threshold will increase to anywhere from $200 million to $210 million, Cafardo notes. Until the exact figure is revealed, teams will be at risk if they want to sign a big free agent, as penalties could be handed out if the threshold ends up being lower than expected.

Commissioner Rob Manfred said recently he anticipates a deal will be reached before the deadline, which comes right in the thick of the winter meetings, where signings usually begin to take place. The Toronto Blue Jays were the first team to dive into the free-agent pool, reportedly signing Kendrys Morales to a three-year, $33-million contract and bringing in Cuban prospect Lourdes Gurriel Jr. on a seven-year contract worth $22 million.
Thanks given by:
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/208771044/...o-heat-up/

Jose Bautista has been one of the best power hitters in the American League for years, and one of the faces of the Blue Jays alongside Edwin Encarnacion. This offseason, other teams finally have a chance to make a run at him.

The 36-year-old Bautista, even coming off a down year in 2016 in which he was limited to 116 games by injuries, hitting .234 with 22 home runs and 69 RBIs, is commanding interest from multiple teams as a free agent.
• Hot Stove Tracker
Bautista did receive a one-year, $17.2 million qualifying offer from Toronto for 2017, but sources told MLB Network Insider Jon Heyman on Thursday that he is planning to decline. (If Bautista rejects the qualifying offer by Monday's deadline and signs with a team other than the Blue Jays, that team would have to surrender a first-round Draft pick as compensation.)
The Red Sox are the latest team to emerge as a suitor for the veteran outfielder/designated hitter, as The Boston Globe reported on Saturday. The Red Sox are looking for a powerful bat to replace retiring franchise icon David Ortiz, and Bautista could fit the bill.
Thanks given by:
A report from the Score via Jamie Campbell is saying the Jays have made a 3 year offer to Brett Cecil.
Thanks given by:
Reports are that they havent talked to Edwin since friday, I dont think he is coming back. It doesnt look that way at least

The Jays are annoying me with their bandaid approach....AGAIN

Only going after free agents that were not qualified is ridiculous. It severely limits their option. Forget Fowler Cespedes Turner and the like
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-15, 09:45 AM)Sportking Wrote: Reports are that they havent talked to Edwin since friday, I dont think he is coming back. It doesnt look that way at least

The Jays are annoying me with their bandaid approach....AGAIN

Only going after free agents that were not qualified is ridiculous. It severely limits their option. Forget Fowler Cespedes Turner and the like

Bautista 14M
EE 10M
Saunders 2.9M
Cecil 2.5M
Dickey 12M

The problem is that Dickey was the only guy overpaid, every other guy was underpaid compared to what they would cost in free agency. If you assume we have ~45-50M to play with (which is that group + another 5-10M), it's going to be tough to even replace the players they were, let alone upgrade on them.

Morales for example is WORSE than EE, but cost us more than what EE cost us last year. So we've already dipped into "extra" money, in order to downgrade. Most educated guesses about the offer for Cecil are that its somewhere around 3 years X 6M, so again dipping into extra money and not actually upgrading. 

If we're able to bring EE back, it will probably cost ~22M, which again is dipping heavily into "extra" money and not actually upgrading the team. 

By building a team with no realistic possibility for growth internally (i.e. we don't have multiple MLB ready prospects of high potential), and with several underpaid players hitting free agency, essentially the only way for us to get better than last year is to substantially increase payroll, which I don't think they're willing to do. 

So expect a worse roster than last season.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-15, 09:45 AM)Sportking Wrote: The Jays are annoying me with their bandaid approach....AGAINl

You mean the "bandaid" approach that you whined about all last off season but actually wound getting them 2 wins from the world series?

Yeah good call. I'm sure everyone is eager to hear you expert opinion again this year.
Thanks given by:
I trust the guy who chose Happ over Price last year at a portion of the cost to make the decision on Bautista and Encarnacion.

My number 1 hope was that they would re-sign Edwin, and then add a true leadoff hitter to the lineup.
I see Donaldson moving to the number three spot, and Morales being the cleanup guy. Things might work quite well if they can add a true hitter in the leadoff spot.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-15, 10:29 AM)Andrew Wrote:
(2016-11-15, 09:45 AM)Sportking Wrote: The Jays are annoying me with their bandaid approach....AGAINl

You mean the "bandaid" approach that you whined about all last off season but actually wound getting them 2 wins from the world series?

Yeah good call. I'm sure everyone is eager to hear you expert opinion again this year.

And whenever you are proven wrong in a convo all anyone hears is crickets cuz you are nowhere to be found
Thanks given by: