Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Jays 2016/17 offseason roster thread
(2016-11-15, 10:52 AM)lillypad_33 Wrote: I trust the guy who chose Happ over Price last year at a portion of the cost to make the decision on Bautista and Encarnacion.

My number 1 hope was that they would re-sign Edwin, and then add a true leadoff hitter to the lineup.
I see Donaldson moving to the number three spot, and Morales being the cleanup guy.  Things might work quite well if they can add a true hitter in the leadoff spot.

Im not annoyed at the fact that they wont sign bautista or edwin just their refusal to only look at players who were not qualified. Fowler could help this team i believe and would be a good bat.
Thanks given by:
Avoiding free agents with draft pick compensation is a reasonable policy to have considering the crazy amount of prospects that left between November 2014 and July 2015. It's very important that the Jays re-stock given the advanced ages of the core players.

That said, we don't even know if they'll avoid them yet. Still lots of offseason to go.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-15, 12:15 PM)Sportking Wrote:
(2016-11-15, 10:29 AM)Andrew Wrote:
(2016-11-15, 09:45 AM)Sportking Wrote: The Jays are annoying me with their bandaid approach....AGAINl

You mean the "bandaid" approach that you whined about all last off season but actually wound getting them 2 wins from the world series?

Yeah good call. I'm sure everyone is eager to hear you expert opinion again this year.

And whenever you are proven wrong in a convo all anyone hears is crickets cuz you are nowhere to be found

Deflecting.  You complained about the same things last off-season and the team got to the same point as the prior.

I'd be thrilled if my team was a back to back semi-finalist.  Very hard to do in baseball
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-15, 09:45 AM)Sportking Wrote: Reports are that they havent talked to Edwin since friday, I dont think he is coming back. It doesnt look that way at least

The Jays are annoying me with their bandaid approach....AGAIN

Only going after free agents that were not qualified is ridiculous. It severely limits their option. Forget Fowler Cespedes Turner and the like

Wow jays are lost when it comes to adding pitching. They gave taken so many gambles on terrible starting pitching that hasn't panned out and now are going to fill their bullpen with makeshift parts. Gregorsen signed a 3 yr 18.5 mil deal not out of the question by any means....where were the jays? This team is going to lose 9-8 ballgames all year next year and sit there and wonder why.  -  Sportking, December 2014

Except all reports are that he is inept. Values prospects over talent and really never took Cleveland anywhere. It wouldn't be as bad I think if Shapiro had a better track record and reputation but from all reports it's not exactly a ringing endorsement  - Sportking, October 2015

Shapiro went through two rebuilds in Cleveland. They play in the worst division in baseball and yet he only made the playoffs once in 9 years. Even the year they made it they were not expected to win. I suspect he will slash payroll. That's why he scolded alex he knows plans are to not spend money next year and he will need youth to fill out the roster. Don't be surprised if a few big bats go for some young cheap arms. No david price, no Estrada, they will probably sign someone coming off injury to a cheap contract then deal Tulo for a young arm. That's your team next year jays fans.  - 
Sportking, October 2015
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-15, 12:33 PM)RyeRocks Wrote:
(2016-11-15, 09:45 AM)Sportking Wrote: The Jays are annoying me with their bandaid approach....AGAINl

You mean the "bandaid" approach that you whined about all last off season but actually wound getting them 2 wins from the world series?

Yeah good call. I'm sure everyone is eager to hear you expert opinion again this year.

And whenever you are proven wrong in a convo all anyone hears is crickets cuz you are nowhere to be found

Deflecting.  You complained about the same things last off-season and the team got to the same point as the prior.

I'd be thrilled if my team was a back to back semi-finalist.  Very hard to do in baseball

Who said I wasn't thrilled. The team is not still not above criticism and as a fan of this team it is my right to criticize any and all aspects. Its called an opinion. If you dont agree with it that's fine. 

Also they were pretty lucky to get to the ALCS and you can make a hard argument that they weren't as good as the previous year. You would also have a hard time arguing that they improved on their team through trades/FA from the year before. Maybe they fail to improve and take a further step back
Many of my criticisms of Shapiro are still correct, Ill admit he has made some good moves tho. Bringing Happ back was a solid move and it paid off.
Thanks given by:

More clearly made up bullshit on your part.  If there is one thing I think most people here would agree on its that I don't run away from an argument. lol.

And it's not just that you were wrong, its that everyone told you that you were being unreasonable and ridiculous at the time. You completely refused to listen and even attacked people who said so. Now here you are a year later doing the exact same thing and expecting people to take you seriously.

Sorry, not gonna happen.

Quote:The team is not still not above criticism and as a fan of this team it is my right to criticize any and all aspects. Its called an opinion. If you dont agree with it that's fine.

Ah yes the "I have a right to my opinion" line. The go to excuse of the uninformed loud mouth.  

Saying "it's my opinion" doesn't make you immune from criticism because opinions are not equal. Some opinions are much better and more informed then others. The opinion of a PHd geologist is worth more than a guy who never took a geology class and has no idea what he is talking about when it comes to geology.

Quote:Many of my criticisms of Shapiro are still correct,

No actually none of them are.  They were not even correct back then.
Thanks given by:
Jays claimed right handed reliever Dominic Leone off waivers today from Arizona. Had a really good rookie season in 2014 with Seattle, but has struggled at the major league level since. Just turned 25 a few weeks ago, don't mind having a look at a guy like him with the bullpen looking pretty unsettled right now.

Also, Josh Thole cleared outright waivers and has elected for free agency!
Thanks given by:
Soon to be picked up by the Braves Happy
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-18, 05:58 PM)thebest41587 Wrote: Jays claimed right handed reliever Dominic Leone off waivers today from Arizona. Had a really good rookie season in 2014 with Seattle, but has struggled at the major league level since. Just turned 25 a few weeks ago, don't mind having a look at a guy like him with the bullpen looking pretty unsettled right now.

Also, Josh Thole cleared outright waivers and has elected for free agency!

Likely signs with Braves Shocked Silly
Tomorrow Is Just Another Day!!
Thanks given by:
Jays also claimed Leonel Campos from the Padres....

Because they need people to fill out the minor league lineups too Happy
Thanks given by:
Cecil is gone...

4 year deal with the Cards...over 30 mill...

(according to Jeff Passan of Yahoo...no link...was an alert on my phone)
Thanks given by:
Cecil hasn't looked good the past couple of seasons, anyway.
"Oh mischief, glorious mischief...I do so love it!"
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-19, 01:41 PM)MisterZ Wrote: Cecil hasn't looked good the past couple of seasons, anyway.

Just one season - he was great in 2015.
Thanks given by:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/26720...s-reaction

By Joe Pantorno , Featured Columnist Nov 19, 2016
Free-agent relief pitcher Brett Cecil will have a new home for the first time in his eight-year MLB career as he signed a four-year, $30 million deal with the St. Louis Cardinals on Saturday, according to Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports.

Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports reported the deal is worth $30.5 million.

"The Cecil market escalated quickly. Teams realized three years wasn't gonna get it done, and St. Louis coveted him enough to go four," Passan added.

Cecil is coming off his worst season since 2012 with the Toronto Blue Jays, as he posted a 1-7 record with a 3.93 ERA while allowing 39 hits in 36.2 innings.

He was hampered by a triceps injury that kept him sideline from mid-May to mid-June and allowed 13 runs in his first 24 appearances, with his ERA swelling to 6.75.

He finished strong, however, surrendering just one run in his final 17 appearances. Cecil's curveball was the pitch he relied heavily upon:
Cecil used the pitch 45 percent of the time last season, which was the highest mark of his career, per FanGraphs.

The left-hander posted a sub-3.00 ERA each year from 2013 to 2015, and he made an All-Star appearance in 2013, when he finished 5-1 with a 2.82 ERA and 11 holds in 60.2 innings.

The Cardinals will hope he can regain that form in 2017 and become an asset to their bullpen.

St. Louis boasts a strong and deep relief corps, but it was in dire need of another quality southpaw to support Kevin Siegrist.

Zach Duke did well in that regard last season, but he is expected to miss all of 2017 after undergoing Tommy John surgery in early October.

That created a major void, but if Cecil can bounce back from a sub-par 2016, he is an ideal option to fill it.

Stats courtesy of Baseball-Reference.com.
Thanks given by:
I figured Cecil was in line for 6-7 million per season over 3 years, this is a bit surprising. Not too often does a non closer get more than a 3 year deal.
Thanks given by:
Last year Cecil reached 5 losses before 10 innings pitched. I wonder if that's a record.
I have sex daily. I mean dyslexia.
Thanks given by:
Blue Jays present Encarnacion with offer

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/208303460/...r-roundup/

The Blue Jays remain interested in retaining free-agent slugger Edwin Encarnacion, putting a four-year, $80 million offer on the table for the first baseman/designated hitter, according to MLB Network's Jon Heyman.

Toronto appears to be serious about bringing Encarnacion back despite recently signing Kendrys Morales.

Encarnacion, who will turn 34 in January, hit .263/.357/.529 with 42 home runs and an American League-leading 127 RBIs in 2016. He also walked a career-high 87 times in 702 plate appearances.

Other teams that have been linked to Encarnacion this offseason include the Astros, Rangers, Red Sox and Yankees. According to Heyman, even a couple of National League clubs have inquired about Encarnacion, indicating he's seen as a serviceable everyday first baseman.
Thanks given by:
I've thought all along that EE and Morales makes a lot of sense, especially with the loss of JB. And there's no doubt in my mind that not only can they can easily afford it, but that it's not a crazy expenditure either.
Thanks given by:
They offered that deal to EE, and he turned it down, before they signed Morales.

Going to take a 5th year, of higher per year to get him.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-21, 07:06 PM)Chris D Wrote: They offered that deal to EE, and he turned it down, before they signed Morales.

Going to take a 5th year, of higher per year to get him.

You got a link to that?
Thanks given by: