Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Jays 2016/17 offseason roster thread
Touching on the Bautista vs Moss thing again briefly... although they went about it differently, they were worth exactly the same in wins last season:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?po...=4467,1887

[Image: 9Sx4IG3.png]
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf
I don't know if it's the beginning of a trend and this is his new reality, or a one off bad year..but its the first time since 2008, that Bautista has had a WAR under 3.

until we know he isn't going to bounce back, I don't want to talk about him like he is a replacement level player.

Moss meanwhile, has NEVER had a WAR above 3...topping out at 2.4 one year.
Thanks given by:
>>>until we know he isn't going to bounce back, I don't want to talk about him like he is a replacement level player.

Yeah, Bautista might get worse
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 12:51 PM)RyeRocks Wrote: >>>until we know he isn't going to bounce back, I don't want to talk about him like he is a replacement level player.

Yeah, Bautista might get worse

He might.  chances are he will...but we don't know that yet.

just this one last season though, doesn't make Moss and Bautista interchangeable.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 12:35 PM)shadylane Wrote: Touching on the Bautista vs Moss thing again briefly... although they went about it differently, they were worth exactly the same in wins last season:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?po...=4467,1887

[Image: 9Sx4IG3.png]

True, but over a longer period there's a big difference.

I'd give Bautista much better odds of bouncing back offensively.

Depth Charts and Steamer project a 0.4 and 0.5 WAR, respectively, for Moss next year.  For Bautista it's 2.8 and 2.7. 

That's a large gap.
Thanks given by:
Report: Bautista back on top of Blue Jays' priority list.
http://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1181082...79bb7a3ef9

Bautista is back on top of a Toronto Blue Jays' list of first-choice options among their preferred players, which also includes Brandon Moss, Michael Saunders, Jay Bruce, and Curtis Granderson, according to sources of TSN's Steve Phillips.
After All, Life Goes On
Thanks given by:
report Carrera and Barney resigned 1 year deals avoid arbitration
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 08:39 PM)onoilfan Wrote: report Carrera and Barney resigned 1 year deals avoid arbitration

Barney signed a $2.88M US$ Not sure the value of Carrera. Also still in contact with Saunders and high on Bautista
After All, Life Goes On
Thanks given by:
1.1625 million for Zeke.
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf
As per Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com, Jays are nearing a deal to bring back Bautista.
Thanks given by:
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/213596024/...r=18479513

Hopefully he's got a rebound season in him for 2017.

It would be funny if after everything that's been said and speculated over the offseason, the Jays bring back both Bautista and Saunders.
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't mind Saunders back on a 1 or 2 year deal. 2 years with a 3rd year club option would be fine too. Not sure that's what Saunders was thinking he'd get 6 months ago lol
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I could live with 1-2 years for both guys too. Saunders is just so injury prone and the issue with having only 40% of his meniscus, or whatever it is, would leave me concerned as he ages into his 30s.

In other news, pitchers and catchers report Feb. 14th. That's less than a month away now! Grin
Thanks given by:
John Lott is reporting the AAV of the deal being discussed is slightly higher than the QO Bautista turned down. Didn't mention how many years.
Thanks given by:
As alluded to before, lets just hope that last season was an aberration, for Bautista, and not the new reality, or beginning of the downturn.

Need him to be a 3 WAR player again...at least. (Especially with the loss of EE)

Haven't heard numbers...but 2 years 35....get it done! (Though I think it will be a one year thing, and we will do this all again next year)

edit...
reading reports now, that they are talking a two eyar deal, for between 35 and 40 mill.
Thanks given by:
Sounds like the Bautista deal is imminent.

I'm hearing 2 years - $35M-$40M.

Edit: Ooopps Christ beat me too it - like 6 hours ago.
Thanks given by: