Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Jays 2016/17 offseason roster thread
Saunders had signed with Plilly. According to Team Bleacher report and Jose is close to signing with the Jays 2 years $30 M+
After All, Life Goes On
Thanks given by:
This tweet by Stroman seems to indicate that it's a done deal.

Thanks given by: CaperLeaf
I saw that tweet this morning and then went looking for confirmation - which, of course, I didn't find.
Thanks given by:
So I will ask this question? Who is more desperate ? Jose or the Jays after losing both EE and Saunders?
After All, Life Goes On
Thanks given by:
Now reports are saying that it'll be a 1-year deal with mutual option. Since mutual options rarely get picked up by both sides, it looks like he has his eye on rebounding and hitting free agency again in a year.
Thanks given by:
It's hard to see him getting a good deal as a 37 year old in what will be a deep market next year, even if he does have a great season.
Thanks given by:
(6 hours ago)shadylane Wrote: Now reports are saying that it'll be a 1-year deal with mutual option. Since mutual options rarely get picked up by both sides, it looks like he has his eye on rebounding and hitting free agency again in a year.

Or a retirement year?
After All, Life Goes On
Thanks given by:
Saunders gets 1 year 8 million, with a club option worth 11 million, or a 1 million buyout (guaranteed 9 million). Option has escalators that could drive value up to 14 million as well.

6 months ago he seemed like a lock to get a 3-4 year deal in the 12-15 million per year range lol
Thanks given by:
Pretty cheap for an all-star Happy
Thanks given by:
(5 hours ago)Unreal Wrote: It's hard to see him getting a good deal as a 37 year old in what will be a deep market next year, even if he does have a great season.

Yeah, you wouldn't think the market would be much better a year older. But it'll be interesting to see how much the draft pick compensation had on things - he won't have that hanging over him next offseason and if his production rebounds, I could see teams paying up for him on a 2 year deal + option.

As you say though, there will be other free agents, some of them much younger. In hindsight, Bautista would've been smarter to try negotiating an extension a year ago with the Jays.
Thanks given by: