Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Jays 2016/17 offseason roster thread
Jays are close to signing Gibby to a multi-year extension.

http://www.tsn.ca/report-gibbons-jays-fi...n-1.702195
Thanks given by:
A selfless move on his part to put the team ahead of his own contract situation this offseason. I've liked Gibbons a whole lot more during his 2nd stint than his 1st in Toronto. I think he's come a long way as a manager and seems to be the perfect "general" to lead this clubhouse. The players seem really close to him.

Everyone thought he was as good as gone when Shapiro came on board (and especially when Eric Wedge was added to the organization) but Gibbons has obviously made a great impression on them.
Thanks given by:
Same here. I thought bringing him back was a mistake, but he seems to excel at player relationships. Very important for a veteran team.
Thanks given by:
(2017-03-21, 02:44 PM)Unreal Wrote: Same here.  I thought bringing him back was a mistake, but he seems to excel at player relationships.  Very important for a veteran team.

not that Ted Lilly, and Shea Hillenbrand would agree...

but yeah, the group he has now, seem to work well with him.
Thanks given by:
After a good showing at the WBC, Angel Pagan is apparently on the Jays' radar.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/03/p...pagan.html
Thanks given by:
Thanks given by:
That is a pretty sick rotation if everyone stays healthy.

Strange that Sanchez is slotted as #5.
Somewhat strange he isn't the opening day starter, either.

Protecting him a bit, maybe?
Tears streaming down my cheeks, just take me to Lansdowne Street...
Thanks given by:
(Yesterday, 10:37 AM)Chip Wrote: That is a pretty sick rotation if everyone stays healthy.

Strange that Sanchez is slotted as #5.
Somewhat strange he isn't the opening day starter, either.

Protecting him a bit, maybe?

can slot anyone anywhere in that rotation...any one of those pitchers could have been given the opening day start.

and really, you are only #1 once, when the season starts...really doesn't matter after that.
Thanks given by:
I get that, Chris. Totally.
Was just wondering if there was another reason for it.
Soreness? Innings? Protection?
Pissed off at him for a weird salary arb case?

IMO he's the best pitcher they have.
Tears streaming down my cheeks, just take me to Lansdowne Street...
Thanks given by:
It wouldn't surprise me if they were protecting him a bit. He logged way more innings last year than they were hoping he would.

I also wonder if there's maybe some seniority at play here. Having Estrada and Happ go 1-2 because of their veteran status? Only a guess.
Thanks given by:
I haven't looked at a schedule, where does the rotation fall for the home opener?
Thanks given by: