Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brandon Davidson
I wonder if the Oil are thinking they will lose him in the X draft, and if they have any inclination to trade him prior to the trade Deadline.
With the Emergence of Benning ( Who is in the same mold as a Benning with maybe a higher ceiling?) and him being a Rwer and the talk of signing Russell ( If they do) maybe they do look at moving him for a RWer or just a forward for some more depth.

Talk out I heard that Boston is looking to move Ryan Spooner and want a D man ( Just an example) ( Not sure on spooner small guy).  But 7 or 8 teams are looking for a D man and that could open a lot of doors for the Oil to add that forward .

Davidson ( I love this kids work ethic), is IMO a #4 Dman on lots of teams. Yes he is on our bottom pairing but has the goods to be a #4.  He has a very good contract and is part of our Depth and a very good part of it.  The Worrisome thing on Davidson is his injury history has been brutal for the last year.

So just a thought, but if we are to lose him in the X draft anyways why not trade him for something that can help us. You could even possibly trade ( Another example) with a Florida team and get RWer UFA Jagr? ( Maybe a pick as well)

PC seems like a bit of a shrewd guy for sure in most of his deals.  There is lots of talk now of guys getting moved for prospects, UFA's, Picks prior to the deadline on guys they may lose in the X draft so they get a return.

I just wonder if this could even be on his mind and part of his wish list as an asset to use in a trade to grab an area of need to strengthen the team for the playoff run?
Thanks given by:
There is a very good chance that Davidson could be gone in the expansion draft.

Its almost a certainty that he'll be left unprotected - Maroon has forced the organization to go with a 7-3-1 protection strategy (which is smart) and Davidson won't be protected over Klef or Larsson and Sekera has a NMC so he'll be protected (and he should be in any event).

Thing is, we will lose a player in expansion - every team will - if we trade Brandon because we were going to lose him anyways, we'll just end up losing the next player on our list (be it Pitlick, Pouliot, Kassian, Fayne, Brossoit, JJ).

We end up losing both Davidson and another guy (and getting back whatever we trade Davidson for).
Thanks given by:
Looks like Davidson is good to go for tomorrow against Jersey.

New D-pairings today:

Davidson-Larsson
Oscar Klefbom -Matt Benning
Andrej Sekera - Kris Russell were reunited.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 08:58 PM)Pouzar Wrote: Looks like Davidson is good to go for tomorrow against Jersey.

New D-pairings today:

Davidson-Larsson

I thought Russell and Larsson were the best pairing of the year in the last 2 games.   Russell on the Left side is a lot better than on the R. ( My opinion)  That said not enough R handers so he has top play R with Sekera.  I thought Sekera actually missed Russell and was not as effective playing with Benning , but that is just me.
Benning is going to be a very good one for sure, one bad mistake last game.

I am interested to see how he does with Klef.

Davidson and Larsson also will be interesting. Sorry to say this but since Davidson came back from the shoulder injury, he has not got his game back that was similar to last year and actually has been not very good with lots of turnovers and a few bad penalties. Hope he regains that form before he got hurt last year.
Thanks given by:
With so many teams supposedly looking for that elusive #4 D man ( Some even higher D men), I am really starting to think that if Davidson stays healthy now he could get traded if PC gets a good offer back that would include draft picks or high end prospects that will not have to be protected . Now I am not sure if PC thinks we have the Depth , especially if we are playoff bound with

Oesterle, Simpson, Musil and Reinhart as the potentials if Davidson was to leave ( Gryba being here already I did not mention), Now as well Nurse should be back by the deadline adding another D man and more depth.

Take a team like Tampa ( As an example) who wants a #4 D man badly and if we look at there depth in Prospects we could cash in on a Brayden Point ( R handed 20 year old C man) who could be a very good 3rd Line C man with a great upside ( He had 15 points in 36 games before being sent down) or a Mitchell Stevens ( R handed 19 year old Cman) who is a tenacious hard working Fast player and if you can swing it a pick with each?

Not saying Tampa or another team would bite on this , but if we are going to lose him anyways and get back a player ( that will not have to be protected and are A level prospects) and a pick then why not?

I am really not sure that he will trade Davidson, but it sure is an option if they think he is going to be taken.  I also think the emergence of Benning lessens the sting of a Davidson moving on if he goes ether by a trade or the Xdraft.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 08:30 AM)maclintock Wrote:
(2017-01-11, 08:58 PM)Pouzar Wrote: Looks like Davidson is good to go for tomorrow against Jersey.

New D-pairings today:

Davidson-Larsson

I thought Russell and Larsson were the best pairing of the year in the last 2 games.   Russell on the Left side is a lot better than on the R. ( My opinion)  That said not enough R handers so he has top play R with Sekera.  I thought Sekera actually missed Russell and was not as effective playing with Benning , but that is just me.
Benning is going to be a very good one for sure, one bad mistake last game.

I am interested to see how he does with Klef.

Davidson and Larsson also will be interesting. Sorry to say this but since Davidson came back from the shoulder injury, he has not got his game back that was similar to last year and actually has been not very good with lots of turnovers and a few bad penalties. Hope he regains that form before he got hurt last year.

Yes, Russell is better on his natural side, the left side, however he has done an admiral job playing the right side and, right now, I think it makes sense having him in there on the right side as opposed to Gryba.

We obviously can't sit Russell and it makes sense to get Davidson in there. Benning can't be sat right now either.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 08:54 AM)maclintock Wrote: With so many teams supposedly looking for that elusive #4 D man ( Some even higher D men), I am really starting to think that if Davidson stays healthy now he could get traded if PC gets a good offer back that would include draft picks or high end prospects that will not have to be protected . Now I am not sure if PC thinks we have the Depth , especially if we are playoff bound with

Oesterle, Simpson, Musil and Reinhart as the potentials if Davidson was to leave ( Gryba being here already I did not mention), Now as well Nurse should be back by the deadline adding another D man and more depth.

Take a team like Tampa ( As an example) who wants a #4 D man badly and if we look at there depth in Prospects we could cash in on a Brayden Point ( R handed 20 year old C man) who could be a very good 3rd Line C man with a great upside ( He had 15 points in 36 games before being sent down) or a Mitchell Stevens ( R handed 19 year old Cman) who is a tenacious hard working Fast player and if you can swing it a pick with each?

Not saying Tampa or another team would bite on this , but if we are going to lose him anyways and get back a player ( that will not have to be protected and are A level prospects) and a pick then why not?

I am really not sure that he will trade Davidson, but it sure is an option if they think he is going to be taken.  I also think the emergence of Benning lessens the sting of a Davidson moving on if he goes ether by a trade or the Xdraft.

I'd be remiss to trade Davidson unless the return is quite solid. While I think we do have the depth to do it, I think I'd rather keep that depth at this point.

When Nurse is ready - someone will have to sit. After Klef, Larsson, Sekera and Russell, only two of the following can be in the lineup: Nurse, Davidson, Benning, Gryba.

We do have the depth to let Davidson go but when are we ever fully healthy? By the time Nurse gets back, another d-man is potentially hurt.

We do have guys like Osterle, Musil, Simpson, Reinhart, however, if we truly want to make a push for the playoffs we don't really want any of those guys in the lineup this year.

Yes, we may lose Davidson in the expansion draft, however, if we trade him, that just means we are going to lose somebody else in the draft (in addition to losing Davidson via trade).
Thanks given by:
I'd rather lose a forward than a D man though. This is the logic behind trading Davidson
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 10:02 AM)CTS Wrote: I'd rather lose a forward than a D man though.  This is the logic behind trading Davidson

Yes, however, if we trade Davidson we will lose a D-man (Davidson) and a forward as well.

The Oilers will lose a player to Vegas - all teams will.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 10:02 AM)CTS Wrote: I'd rather lose a forward than a D man though.  This is the logic behind trading Davidson

The forward the Oilers will likely lose will have more value than the value Davidson provides. 

He's oft injured and, when the Oilers are healthy, #4 on the left side. He's less of an impact player than a Letestu or Kassian.
Thanks given by: