Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CFL MVP nominees...
First off, I'm  a fan of the CFL... have been for decades. I'm a Lions fan and watch every game they play with a ton of interest... 

Now that that's out of the way, hahahaha.

I think it's time for the CFL to end this entire East - West thing...  not only when it comes to the Grey Cup, but also when it comes to Award time... 

I know the NHL, NBA, NFL and MLB each have a Finals version that includes a winner from one side versus a winner from the other side, but here's the thing... These leagues all have 30 or more teams to choose from, the last time I checked, the CFL only has 9... and that's in a good year, hahaha!!!!!

IMO there should be ONE CFL division... 

The Canadian Division... 

During the regular season they should play a 16 game sked, with each team playing each other twice a year... Once at home and once on the road... This would be a perfectly balanced schedule consisting of 16 games. 

The top 6 would still make the playoffs ( the same number as now ), with the top 2 teams getting a bye in the first round with 3 playing 6 and 4 playing 5 in the Quarters.... and so on and so on...  

FFS, we already do a crossover ( like this year, with Edmonton going to the East )... Why not just get it over with and have one division and let the playoff matchups reflect what happened during the regular season !!!! Can you imagine that the Ottawa Red Blacks get a BYE into the Eastern Final this year and not only that, but they get to play this game at home... all this despite finishing the regular season with a LOSING record!!!! 

I only bring all of this up because I read a headline today about the CFL's MVP candidates... 

I saw the names Mitchell and Jackson... I knew that Mitchell was Bo Levi, but honestly, I had to check to see who this Jackson guy was... and I'm a flippin FAN of the CFL... turns out it's Ernest Jackson... an Ex Lion now playing in Ottawa... and of course I know who the guy is and I knew he had a really good season... but honestly I thought there might have been some other DMan named Jackson that I hadn't considered... hahaha. Again, kudo's to EJ for having a great year, but we have a couple of players here in BC that had better seasons than Ernie did ( IMO ) and they don't even get a shot at the award because they play in the West... 

Not that I really give 2 shits about awards, but it's pretty ridiculous that players don't get recognized in the CFL simply because of where they play!!! Would it make sense to only allow one player from the East and one player from West to be up for the Hart in the NHL???? Or any of the other major awards? 

I say we simplify things... One League with all 9 teams vying for playoffs spots against each other.... And if we end up with a BC - Calgary finals a few times or we end up with a Toronto - Hamilton finals a few times... would that be the end of the world???

Ok, rant over....

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by:
For MVP, you have to choose between one candidate in the west and one in the east? If I'm understanding that right, thats silly.

I agree on your division issue too. Its too small to break up. Run it like a euro soccer league table.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-10, 03:06 PM)RyeRocks Wrote: For MVP, you have to choose between one candidate in the west and one in the east?  If I'm understanding that right, thats silly.

I agree on your division issue too.  Its too small to break up.  Run it like a euro soccer league table.

Yes, for ALL the CFL awards ( the Schenley's , for you oldsters ) they have one Eastern Guy and one Western Guy...  Like I said, EJ had a very good year, but Manny Arcenaux here in BC had more catches, more yards and more TD's than EJ... and he probably wasn't even BC's most valuable player!!!

Seems a tad silly to me...

Thanks given by:
First off, it is MOP.  Not MVP.  It's not valuable it's outstanding.

Big difference.

Cannot have 1 DIVISION

CFL has been this way longer than most of us have been alive.   Why change now???
Warning:  Brain May not be Engaged.
Thanks given by:
Thats an extremely weak retort.

MVP or MOP doesn't matter in this discussion.
Of course there can be one division.
Every league in north america makes yearly changes no matter how old they are.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-10, 08:10 PM)RyeRocks Wrote: Thats an extremely weak retort.  

Does matter.  Get it right.
Thanks given by:
Good idea, thats an easy way to avoid situations where a team like Ottawa gets a bye.  There is no way the coach of a sub .500 team should be nominated for coach of the year either.  That's literally getting nominated for a major league award by default.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-10, 09:39 PM)cflisthebest Wrote:
(2016-11-10, 08:10 PM)RyeRocks Wrote: Thats an extremely weak retort.  

Does matter.  Get it right.

Other than an irrelevant semantics correction, do you have anything to contribute to the discussion?
Thanks given by:
No point. I won't be taken seriously
Thanks given by:
I think the CFL could add 2 to 3 teams. Atlantic Canada, Quebec City and the Okanagon area of B.C. I love the NFL but I also enjoy the CFL for what it is.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-10, 10:44 PM)cflisthebest Wrote: No point.  I won't be taken seriously

not if the debate starts and stops with "that's the way its always been"....may as well be shouting "I don't like change"

there is always room for improvement.  Tweaks can be made. 

I definitely think teams can be added...make it harder to make the playoffs (as opposed to 6 of 9 getting in)
Thanks given by:
Quebec City can probably support a team no problem, Laval draws pretty big crowds for CIS football.  

I'm not sure the Okanagan and Atlantic Canada have cities large enough to support a team though.  Regina is a bit of an anomaly, I'm not sure that kind of popularity can be easily replicated.
Thanks given by:
I think now is the time to discuss elimination of the division format.

Edmonton should be playing at home this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
They didn't earn it. So no
Thanks given by:
The fact that they DIDN'T earn it is the whole problemin the first place.

The better team throughout the season should get home field IMO.  And the bye.
Thanks given by:
I actually agree with NOT giving Edmonton the home game...they play in the Eastern side of the playoffs due to the crossover...but they were 4th in their division. Hamilton was second in their division.

Their records are a little beside the point in that regard due to unbalanced schedule. If it was one division, with even schedule where everyone plays everyone the same amount of time, it would be one thing...but it is not. Perhaps that is where some tweaking can take place.

Why should Edmonton crossover, and get a home game...while the 3rd place team in their division, who finished with a better record, does not get a home game, and play against tougher team?

forget the bye altogether...Edmonton doesn't deserve a bye.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-10, 07:11 PM)cflisthebest Wrote: First off, it is MOP.  Not MVP.  It's not valuable it's outstanding.

Big difference.

Cannot have 1 DIVISION

CFL has been this way longer than most of us have been alive.   Why change now???

My apologies CFL,

MOP it is... and to be honest, I knew that, it was just a slip of the fingers... 

In any case, the point of this wasn't whether they are called the MOP or the MVP... it was the way we exclude great players from the ballot simply because they play in the wrong city at the wrong time. Can you HONESTLY say that Mitchell and Jackson are the 2 best candidates for the MOP in this CFL this year??? I know Mitchell would be 1 , that's for sure, but Jackson... not so much ( all due respect ).

As far as having one division is concerned.... There are so many things that have changed in this world that are umpteen times more important than the alignment of the CFL, it makes my head spin...

To simply say... Why change now... is frankly, laughable... It would be like saying... Hey, it's the CFL we can't have American franchises playing in our league... or Hey, we have 2 teams both named Rough Riders... we can't change that. Or Hey, we can't have instant replay... they didn't have it back in the 70's, why change now??? I could go on and on and on and on about the changes that HAVE happened over the years.

Seriously dude, if you want to be taken seriously.... get serious.

Thanks given by:
(2016-11-14, 02:02 PM)SAVARYGUY Wrote:
(2016-11-10, 07:11 PM)cflisthebest Wrote: First off, it is MOP.  Not MVP.  It's not valuable it's outstanding.

Big difference.

Cannot have 1 DIVISION

My apologies CFL,

MOP it is... and to be honest, I knew that, it was just a slip of the fingers... 

In any case, the point of this wasn't whether they are called the MOP or the MVP... it was the way we exclude great players from the ballot simply because they play in the wrong city at the wrong time. Can you HONESTLY say that Mitchell and Jackson are the 2 best candidates for the MOP in this CFL this year??? I know Mitchell would be 1 , that's for sure, but Jackson... not so much ( all due respect ).

As far as having one division is concerned.... There are so many things that have changed in this world that are umpteen times more important than the alignment of the CFL, it makes my head spin...

To simply say... Why change now... is frankly, laughable... It would be like saying... Hey, it's the CFL we can't have American franchises playing in our league... or Hey, we have 2 teams both named Rough Riders... we can't change that. Or Hey, we can't have instant replay... they didn't have it back in the 70's, why change now??? I could go on and on and on and on about the changes that HAVE happened over the years.

Seriously dude, if you want to be taken seriously.... get serious.

but if there was such a problem with it, why wasn't this brought up 5, 10, or 15 years ago?

why today are people complaining about it today but not back then??
Thanks given by:
Thats not a good argument either. It doesn't address any of the points raised.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-15, 05:09 PM)RyeRocks Wrote: Thats not a good argument either.  It doesn't address any of the points raised.

Traditionalists don't want that change. CFL has been successful as it is.

They don't need to change the format. 

If you want to alienate eastern Canada then do it.

New fans only want to change it to their liking rather than become part of a long living tradition
Thanks given by: