Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CFL MVP nominees...
Like all leagues, cfl makes changes to itself yearly. There's nothing wrong with recognizing ways to improve upon something or recognizing shortcomings.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-15, 07:09 PM)RyeRocks Wrote: Like all leagues, cfl makes changes to itself yearly.  There's nothing wrong with recognizing ways to improve upon something or recognizing shortcomings.

Yeah but not drastic changes.

They don't go and add a down or shrink the field or eliminate the single or remove a player.

CFL fans want East vs West in the Grey Cup.

We really don't want to see Calgary vs Edmonton.
Warning:  Brain May not be Engaged.
Thanks given by:
>>>They don't go and add a down or shrink the field or eliminate the single or remove a player.

No one here suggested any of those things.

As for the rest, you can offer your own opinion, but I don't think anyone should speak for the opinions of an entire fanbase.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-15, 07:13 PM)cflisthebest Wrote:
(2016-11-15, 07:09 PM)RyeRocks Wrote: Like all leagues, cfl makes changes to itself yearly.  There's nothing wrong with recognizing ways to improve upon something or recognizing shortcomings.

They don't go and add a down or shrink the field or eliminate the single or remove a player.

I do
Thanks given by:
I want Ottawa to have the opportunity to get steamrolled by Calgary, but I think a battle of Alberta for the Grey Cup would be cool too.
Thanks given by:
1 Grey Cup of two Western teams is ok.   But if you start having multiple Grey cups with just western teams again and again the Eastern teams fan base will not care and won't buy Grey Cup tickets.

You cannot change the league to 1 division because for a season the east is all under .500 

It's just the way it goes.  

Next year for all we know, the East could have 4 winning teams and the West all terrible teams.

Then what?????????
Thanks given by:

CFL fans want to see the best teams in the Final..going for the Cup...East or West doesn't matter.

especially when the best in the East is a losing team, that would have been 5th in the West...not really deserving of a Cup final IMO.

one division, allows the best teams a chance.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-15, 10:44 PM)Chris D Wrote:

CFL fans want to see the best teams in the Final..going for the Cup...East or West doesn't matter.

especially when the best in the East is a losing team, that would have been 5th in the West...not really deserving of a Cup final IMO.

one division, allows the best teams a chance.

So then why not have that in every sports league?

No shitty teams get to be first. 

Best records get the best chance.

Here's the thing though?

That team that goes 9-9?

Maybe they had injuries for 10 games?  Went 3-7 to start the season?  But then suddenly find their way and win 6 games and finish 9-9 and are hot?  Go in and win it all!?

So they should be punished because unfortunate circumstances gave them a terrible start?

Edmonton Eskimos 16-2

Should have won the Grey Cup.

But they didn't, why?  

Because the Riders got hot and found out how to win.

It DOESN'T matter how you do in the regular season.  If you find your way in the playoffs and get hot, you could win it all.

It wouldn't be fair to a team that had a bad start but won a vast majority of their games, finish 9-9 or 8-10 and get in, start to win and beat out the favorites if they miss because you want only the best teams in.

Sure the 4th place team may go 10-8 but what if they had only won 1 of their last 5 games?

Are they at that very moment better than the team that finished 8-10 but won 5 In a row???

If you say yes you're FOS.
Thanks given by:
making the playoffs and doing well in them are a different thing.

once you make the playoffs, anything can happen.

I am saying that a league with 9 teams doesn't really need 2 divisions...and that perhaps some teams that get in by the benefit of being in a weak division, didn't really earn their way in to the playoffs for that chance anyway....or, at least in Ottawa's case, didn't play well enough fro a bye straight to the Eastern final..as well as hosting that game.

I don't care if that 8-10 team win 5 in a row...they still started 3-10.

and seriously...we are talking about a league where only 3 teams DON'T make the playoffs...perhaps lining up the seeding so it is tied more closely to results isn't a bad thing.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-15, 11:08 PM)cflisthebest Wrote: If you say yes you're FOS.

Calm down, mr social.. sheesh, its just a discussion.

I agree with chris.  There's no award for best winning record entering the post-season.  The season is a sum of its parts, not just the last part.
Thanks given by:
CFL, there is very little chance of something similar happening in other leagues, as there are simply way more teams. A few years back the Seahawks won the division at 7-9, but that's an extremely rare occurrence, and even then there are 3 other division winners in the same conference. Keeping separate conferences makes sense for those leagues, but not a league of 9 teams. The conferences aren't even balanced at this point in time!

And who cares about circumstances early in the season. Their record is what it is, injuries or not. I dont see how that matters at all. If you lost the games early in the season due to a rash of injuries, so be it, thats sports and it is 100% fair.
Thanks given by:
East Vs West is how it is, and that is how it SHOULD remain
Thanks given by:
Very convincing...
Thanks given by:
I know sarcasm when I read it.

listen.  there's a lot of Long time fans who have seen this league go from Highs of highs to it's very lows and rising up again and becoming more relevant.

I have been a CFL fan basically my entire life and I have never waivered off.

any long time fan who is a hardcore fan will go against the idea of making 1 division.  

the reason for the divisions to remain as is is because as with ANY playoffs, it's a 1 shot, anyone can win.

it has been proven numerous times.

just because you're 8-9-1 doesn't mean you aren't good enough to win the big one.

Hamilton ALMOST beat Edmonton last sunday.

it was a great game on tv and i'm sure in the stadium.  

just like in 1989 when a cocky 16-2 team got beat by a 9-9 team.

anything can happen.

for all we know, Calgary could possibly lose vs B.C. this upcoming Sunday.

We cannot eliminate current status because it looks bad to some new CFL fans who have been fans for maybe 1 or two years.

no different if a new Hockey fan were to say "I hate the rules (some random one) and it sucks, I won't watch hockey unless they change it"

well, why should a league change a rule because a few brand new fans hate it?

if you REALLY like the game, you will deal with it and learn to love it and if you truly care you will learn to enjoy it as it is.

football is a crazy sport.  because there's so few games played in a year, much of the time it's so hard to predict.

a good NFL example was the 16-0 NE Patriots that lost to the Giants.  

it's a 1 game crapshoot.  regular season standings mean nothing when the playoffs come up.
Thanks given by:
The guy who posted this is a long time cfl fan. Some of the others who agreed are also long time cfl fans. Why do you think you speak for all cfl fans? You don't. CFL fans dont share one brain like the borg. They're allowed to have different opinions.
Thanks given by:
I've been a CFL fan the majority of my life too. I bailed when the league made the dumbass decision to allow a sale of the Renegades to the Gliebermanns AGAIN (they had already run 2 franchises into the ground by that point), but returned when the RedBlacks returned.

Yet my opinion as a CFL fan isn't valid? I shouldn't want to see the league improve but instead just accept and love it's warts? Sorry CFL, but that's the worst argument ever. This isn't a marriage/intimate relationship where you need to accept ones flaws, changes to improve the game can and should be made when ever possible. I love the NFL way more than the CFL, but there is certainly room for improvement in that league as well, I'm not sure why you'd expect fans to accept the status quo when improvements can be made just because "its always been that way".
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-16, 02:42 PM)Heisenberg Wrote: I've been a CFL fan the majority of my life too.  I bailed when the league made the dumbass decision to allow a sale of the Renegades to the Gliebermanns AGAIN (they had already run 2 franchises into the ground by that point), but returned when the RedBlacks returned.  

Yet my opinion as a CFL fan isn't valid?  I shouldn't want to see the league improve but instead just accept and love it's warts?  Sorry CFL, but that's the worst argument ever.  This isn't a marriage/intimate relationship where you need to accept ones flaws, changes to improve the game can and should be made when ever possible. I love the NFL way more than the CFL, but there is certainly room for improvement in that league as well, I'm not sure why you'd expect fans to accept the status quo when improvements can be made just because "its always been that way".

we don't need to fix the league by making it a 1 division league.

it doesn't require fixing there.

there are issues that are more important to fix like officiating, new rules that suck, and attendance issues in Toronto and Vancouver.

some people just bitch cause they can.

vast majority of CFL fans don't want a 1 Division league.

it's a stupid idea brought on by people who think changing things will fix it.  guess what?  won't fix it.

Grey Cup is supposed to be a National event.  you have multiple seasons of (for example)  Calgary vs Edmonton in the Grey Cup, you're going to lose interest from fans out East.

why the hell would I wanna see two teams from Alberta playing for the Grey Cup?  I want 1 Western and 1 Eastern team in it, EVERY SEASON.

all this fear mongering is insane.  you don't make changes for the sake of change.
Thanks given by:
The NFL and MLB don't differentiate east from West at a conference level. They seem to be doing just fine.

Nobody is suggesting change for the sake of change, they are suggesting it to make the playoffs more competitive and fair for the teams that fought for positing all regular season.

I bet Winnipeg wishes they were still in the East right about now....
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-16, 02:54 PM)Heisenberg Wrote: The NFL and MLB don't differentiate east from West at a conference level. They seem to be doing just fine.  

Nobody is suggesting change for the sake of change, they are suggesting it to make the playoffs more competitive and fair for the teams that fought for positing all regular season.  

I bet Winnipeg wishes they were still in the East right about now....

just because you finish at 11-7 doesn't make you better than a team that's 8-10

it's how good you are at the end that matters.

nobody would have imagined that a team with a losing record could upset the team with the 15-3 record (see 2001)

but it happened.  

but with your so called changes, unexpected and awesome games like that wouldn't happen.

that's the great thing about the CFL is it's difficult to predict what will happen each season.

the best team in the League doesn't always win.

for the longest time in the 90's when Edmonton and Calgary were battling for 1st and 2nd.  almost every season the first place team did not win the Western Final.

you cannot make these changes just because 1 division is a little weaker.
Thanks given by:
there have been numerous examples of teams getting way ahead in the standings in the CFL but then at the end they crumble.

sure they may end up finishing first or second. but by no means are they the better team after game 18.

there have been many many 9-9 teams that have caught fire in the 2nd half of the season and are better than the teams above them.. and they go into the playoffs and prove it.

so why should the 9-9 team be punished because they had a bad start?
Thanks given by: