Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CFL MVP nominees...
It's football, upsets happen all the time. But I don't see how that has anything to do with how the conferences are structured. At all. A team like Ottawa would have still made the playoffs, and had the chance to make the Grey Cup, they just wouldn't have gotten all the perks of a first place team.

All we are suggesting is that the regular season records be made more significant by, you know, rewarding the teams who actually had better seasons than their competitors.

And your "punishing a 9-9 team because they had a bad start" is just a mind boggling argument. The first regular season game of the season is just as important as the last in every single league in the world. That really is a bizarre argument you put forth.
Thanks given by:
9-9 teams can be better than a 12-6 team.

and no, you cannot take away the right for an eastern team to have a home playoff game.
Warning:  Brain May not be Engaged.
Thanks given by:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but given the crossover, Edmonton and Calgary could end up playing in the Grey Cup this year........

CFL, I have yet to see you present a valid argument against creating one division. There may be one out there, but it certainly isn't located in this thread. I can't stand change for the sake of change, but I also can't stand not changing because "it's always been that way". Those have been literally the famous last words of many an entity, business, sport or otherwise.
Thanks given by:
yeah but tell me this, 1 year of Edmonton vs Calgary would be fine. a first. big deal right?

ok. now let's say 4 straight years of Calgary vs Edm/Sask/B.C. in the Grey Cup.

so no Eastern team gets in ever. how do you think the fans of the CFL teams from the East would feel if their team was never capable or able to get into the Cup? always western teams.

how fast, considering how sketchy the support is already out East for the teams, how fast would the support and attendance and figures drop if they figured they'll never get there?

can you imagine? nobody east of Winnipeg giving a damn about the CFL because their teams never get to the Grey Cup?

tradition in the CFL has always had a Western Team vs an Eastern Team. no different than the Edmonton Oilers vs the Montreal Canadiens in the Stanley.

how many Eastern NHL fans and teams and media would bitch if the Edmonton Oilers played the Chicago Blackhawks in the Stanley Cup?

an all West Final?

The NHL ALMOST did it. they were going to do their standings a certain way.

they were planning to have the conference finals ranked 1 to 4.

meaning you could have had Montreal play Calgary in the Conference Final and then Montreal play Florida in the Stanley Cup Final.

talk about alienating over half the continent!!

you cannot eliminate Eastern Presence in the CFL playoffs.

you just can't.

it has nothing to do with the best teams playing the best.

this country is so big that you cannot alienate fan bases from the big game.

you can't have 2 teams from 1 province playing in the Grey Cup. nobody east of Saskatchewan is going to care if that happens. and we should care that they wouldn't care!!

no Toronto Argonaut or Alouette or RedBlacks fans are going to give a damn that Edmonton is playing Calgary? they'd rather see their own team make it.

the whole purpose of having a East Vs West Grey Cup is to have fans from all over the country come to the city it is in and celebrate together. Eastern Fans get together and cheer for their eastern team while the Western Fans cheer for the West.

now who from the East is going to come all the way to, Edmonton or Calgary or B.C. to watch two western teams play the game? Certainly nowhere near as many if it were Toronto/Hamilton/Ottawa or Montreal in the big game.

it's East vs West. show down. the fact that you could have an all West Grey Cup year after year after year would destroy this league.
Thanks given by:
For the record, I would be fine with the current format if this didn't happen so often.  But there seems to be a crossover team all the time now.  This year is particularly embarrassing, as the crossover team was better than all the teams in the eastern conference. 

It just seems so bush league.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-16, 05:41 PM)Heisenberg Wrote: For the record, I would be fine with the current format if this didn't happen so often.  But there seems to be a crossover team all the time now.  This year is particularly embarrassing, as the crossover team was better than all the teams in the eastern conference. 

It does seem bush league. What do you expect from a league that had the "Roughriders" and the "Rough Riders" at the same time with only 9 teams? Oh ya, they said the difference was in the spelling of the two teams.

I enjoy watching the CFL but I prefer the NFL WAY more.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-16, 05:41 PM)Heisenberg Wrote: For the record, I would be fine with the current format if this didn't happen so often.  But there seems to be a crossover team all the time now.  This year is particularly embarrassing, as the crossover team was better than all the teams in the eastern conference. 

last year it didn't happen.

so in 16 seasons since the turn of the Century

8 seasons had no cross over.

the Eastern Division has been bad for many years yes but it's just because the West had better management, better organization, financing.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-16, 05:45 PM)topgun Wrote:

It does seem bush league. What do you expect from a league that had the "Roughriders" and the "Rough Riders" at the same time with only 9 teams? Oh ya, they said the difference was in the spelling of the two teams.

do you not understand why they had the names?  or do you not care
Thanks given by:
Well, the short answer would be for those eastern teams to field some winners.....it wasn't that long ago that the Alouettes were a long running dominant force. The Argos and Ti-Cats have had multiple runs as top tier teams. It wasn't also that long ago that the Eskies were absolutely terrible. Sports are cyclic and not everybody can be a winner all the time and if they don't ever field a competitive team, no amount of divvying up the teams/division/conferences is going to compensate for that.

One last thing - who wants to see an absolutely shitty team make it to the Grey Cup by virtue of being less shitty than everybody else in the division only to get smashed in the big game?? THAT has a higher probability of alienating fans than any realignment.........
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-16, 05:50 PM)Superlube11 Wrote: Well, the short answer would be for those eastern teams to field some winners.....it wasn't that long ago that the Alouettes were a long running dominant force. The Argos and Ti-Cats have had multiple runs as top tier teams. It wasn't also that long ago that the Eskies were absolutely terrible. Sports are cyclic and not everybody can be a winner all the time and if they don't ever field a competitive team, no amount of divvying up the teams/division/conferences is going to compensate for that.

One last thing - who wants to see an absolutely shitty team make it to the Grey Cup by virtue of being less shitty than everybody else in the division only to get smashed in the big game?? THAT has a higher probability of alienating fans than any realignment.........

how many Grey Cups have you been to?

you might want to rethink your last statement.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-16, 05:47 PM)cflisthebest Wrote:
(2016-11-16, 05:45 PM)topgun Wrote:

do you not understand why they had the names?  or do you not care

I know the history........ it's still bush to have two teams with the same name.
Thanks given by:
Why should I re-think it? Your whole argument has been about alienating fan bases. A shitty final game is going to impact a much larger percentage of fans who want to see a competitive game regardless if their team is in it or not. From a business stand point, that would be the CFL's worst nightmare.

Regardless, it's completely hypothetical, similar to the position you've put forth....which was mostly my point....

Further, making one division wouldn't prohibit Eastern teams from making the playoffs. They can still keep the same amount of playoff teams, its just that the seeding would/should create more interesting match ups throughout and have the highest probability of the 2 best teams meeting for the championship.

I just think it would be worth considering on the CFL's behalf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
East v west in the grey cup is not like AL v NL in baseball...or even AFC v NFC in NFL....it's a 9 team league. It's not like a fantasy showdown when it comes to the big game at the end.

If western teams made the final every year, as a fan of an Eastern team, I wouldnt look any further than my team not being good enough. Thats it. If it is west v west final every year for the next 10 years...SO BE IT...Those would be the two teams that earned their way to the finals.

East doesn't like it?....GET BETTER!!

I would say the same if Eastern teams made the finals 10 years in a row.
Thanks given by:
Then you don't understand how the CFL runs.

You guys don't give a shit about Tradition.

Basically it would ruin the league and the fact you all fail to understand this is sad.
Thanks given by:
Ruin the league?? Lmao, ok sure. Good talking to ya

Thanks given by:
(2016-11-16, 09:08 PM)Superlube11 Wrote: Ruin the league?? Lmao, ok sure. Good talking to ya

It would.  That's why they've never acted on it and never will.
Thanks given by:
Until they do.

Not saying they will...but there is no saying they won't.

Changes happen. Traditions change.

Hell...a CFL team from Baltimore won the Grey Cup once upon a time. CFL teams in the states didn't last long, but it was a break in tradition and something that they tried.
Thanks given by:
They needed money
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-15, 11:08 PM)cflisthebest Wrote:
(2016-11-15, 10:44 PM)Chris D Wrote:
(2016-11-15, 07:13 PM)cflisthebest Wrote:
(2016-11-15, 07:09 PM)RyeRocks Wrote: Like all leagues, cfl makes changes to itself yearly.  There's nothing wrong with recognizing ways to improve upon something or recognizing shortcomings.

Yeah but not drastic changes.

They don't go and add a down or shrink the field or eliminate the single or remove a player.

CFL fans want East vs West in the Grey Cup.

We really don't want to see Calgary vs Edmonton.

CFL fans want to see the best teams in the Final..going for the Cup...East or West doesn't matter.

especially when the best in the East is a losing team, that would have been 5th in the West...not really deserving of a Cup final IMO.

one division, allows the best teams a chance.

So then why not have that in every sports league?

No shitty teams get to be first. 

Best records get the best chance.

Here's the thing though?

That team that goes 9-9?

Maybe they had injuries for 10 games?  Went 3-7 to start the season?  But then suddenly find their way and win 6 games and finish 9-9 and are hot?  Go in and win it all!?

So they should be punished because unfortunate circumstances gave them a terrible start?

Edmonton Eskimos 16-2

Should have won the Grey Cup.

But they didn't, why?  

Because the Riders got hot and found out how to win.

It DOESN'T matter how you do in the regular season.  If you find your way in the playoffs and get hot, you could win it all.

It wouldn't be fair to a team that had a bad start but won a vast majority of their games, finish 9-9 or 8-10 and get in, start to win and beat out the favorites if they miss because you want only the best teams in.

Sure the 4th place team may go 10-8 but what if they had only won 1 of their last 5 games?

Are they at that very moment better than the team that finished 8-10 but won 5 In a row???

If you say yes you're FOS.

cfl, 

You really are missing the point here.... 

As it stands, there are 9 teams in the CFL... and in a ONE Division system, the top 6 would still make the playoffs... 

Meaning, in any given year,  at least 1 Eastern based team would have a shot at being in the final and at least 2 Western teams would as well ...  Does that sound like such a horrible situation?

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-16, 05:46 PM)cflisthebest Wrote:

last year it didn't happen.

so in 16 seasons since the turn of the Century

8 seasons had no cross over.

the Eastern Division has been bad for many years yes but it's just because the West had better management, better organization, financing.

Here's a thought cfl... 

If things were to change and the CFL went to a one division system, don't you think the teams in the East might strive a little harder to put better management, organization and funding in place???

Perhaps a little more competition and the idea of no more free rides, just might get some of the Eastern teams off their asses and put a better product on the field... and IMO that would improve the league in a myriad of ways.

Or, we could leave it as is and be stuck with what we have now...

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by: