Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Can't find the "Good Read" thread, so...
I've just read Concussion. Had zero expectations but it turned out to be quite captivating.

I'm feeling in the mood for a good mystery-ish story.

Any recommendations?
Thanks given by:
"The Room". Written by Jonas Karlsson.

I loved it, a nice easy read. Not too long. Funny book and the main character has a 10/10 personality.
Thanks given by:
Currently reading We Have Always Lived in the Castle, by Shirley Jackson, the author of the very famous, and highly acclaimed short story that I am sure we all read in school at some point, "The Lottery".  This classic short novel is not really a mystery, but it is certainly suspenseful, and her writing style is enjoyably dark, creating a quaint, but eerie atmosphere.  She is a very influential writer, so some of the book might even seemed a cliched for modern readers, but she was a very unique and original voice in her time. This is the first paragraph of the novel, for an example:

"My name is Mary Katherine Blackwood. I am eighteen years old, and I live with my sister Constance. I have often thought that with any luck at all, I could have been born a werewolf, because the two middle fingers on both my hands are the same length, but I have had to be content with what I had. I dislike washing myself, and dogs, and noise. I like my sister Constance, and Richard Plantagenet, and Amanita phalloides, the death-cup mushroom. Everyone else in our family is dead."
Thanks given by:
Stephen Harper, John Ibbitson
Lotsa stuff about a Toronto boy who did good.

Over Diagnosed: Making People Sick in the Pursuit of Health, Gilbert Welch

Anybody read Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman yet? I have it on hold at the library, and should have a copy in my hands by 2017. Angry
"Sheeeeeeeee-it" ~ Senator Clay Davis

Thanks given by:
(2016-01-17, 04:50 PM)Cornholio Wrote: Stephen Harper, John Ibbitson

Over Diagnosed: Making People Sick in the Pursuit of Health, Gilbert Welch

Anybody read Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman yet? I have it on hold at the library, and should have a copy in my hands by 2017. Angry

Yeah, I see there are currently 29 holds on 9 copies here in the Edmonton Public Library system. I just peruse books I might be interested in from lists on sites like Goodreads, check them out or put them hold on the EPL website, then go in every week to return what I have, and pick up whatever is on the shelf for me.  I got a pretty good system going, here Happy.
Thanks given by:
I set a hold on July 13 2015 and I am currently #314 on 87 copies. Ottawa public Library.
They really should shorten the borrowing period to two weeks instead of 3, or start ramping up the fines for over due books.

Thanks given by:

Is that about the overager playing for the Niagra Ice Dogs in the O?
Thanks given by:
Uncle Johns 2nd bathroom reader.
Warning:  Brain May not be Engaged.
Thanks given by:
(2016-01-17, 05:11 PM)Limestoner Wrote:

Is that about the overager playing for the Niagra Ice Dogs in the O?

If I can read Olivia Chow's book, YOU can read Ibbitson's.

Thanks given by:
Alcohol, A Social History by Rod Phillips. My prif wrote this book for our class. He thinks it makes a good textbook but it doesn't. However it's a fantastic read, really cool how he intertwines history, sociology and science to argue the role of booze in situations.

Excellent bibliography too
Thanks given by:
Bro gave me his Civil War novelization can't wait to get started on it
Thanks given by:
Mrs Dangles bought me "Sapiens" by Yuval Noah Harari, and I have found it absolutely fascinating.

I'm only about halfway through it, and there's no way to fully encompass the subject matter in the 400 or so pages that are in the book, but I am absolutely loving it. Highly highly recommend.
Thanks given by:
The Kite Runner
Thanks given by:

That book is on my to read shelf. My dad keeps pushing me to read it. 

I've started supplementing my reading with listening to audio books while I drive or am doing household chores. 

I'm currently reading Double Cross by Ben Macyntire. It's about how the British infiltrated the Nazi spy ring in Britain and every single nazi spy in Britain was a double agent for the British. It's pretty interesting. 

I'm listening to Kissinger: The Idealist, the first of a two volume biography on Henry Kissinger by Niall Ferguson. 

This recommendation doesn't really follow your criteria of a mystery, Lime, but if you want to read a very engaging suspense book, I recommend Red Notice by Bill Browder. It's based on a true story. He's an American financier who owns a hedge fund based in Russia and is a victim of a massive fraud conspiracy. It's a crazy read.
Thanks given by:
83 how's that Kissinger book? My bro listened to it, he's a huge Kissinger critic
Thanks given by:
Quote:I'm listening to Kissinger: The Idealist, the first of a two volume biography on Henry Kissinger by Niall Ferguson.

Odd. I have that book on hold at the library (volume one). I saw an interview with Ferguson on TVO and he seemed interesting.

You'll should enjoy the Harper book. The subject material seems dry and boring but the book is anything but.

Thanks given by:
(2016-02-27, 12:54 AM)bicboi Wrote: 83 how's that Kissinger book? My bro listened to it, he's a huge Kissinger critic

I enjoy it. I find Kissinger to be absolutely hilarious and the book does a good job of demonstrating his dry wit. 

I find Kissinger to be a very intriguing and incredible person. What he achieved in American politics despite being foreign born is quite impressive. I don't really buy any of the conspiracy theories that go on about him. 

It's about 35 hours long and I'm only 5-6 hours into it. Got a ways to go still.
Thanks given by:
(2016-02-27, 11:50 AM)Cornholio Wrote:
Quote:I'm listening to Kissinger: The Idealist, the first of a two volume biography on Henry Kissinger by Niall Ferguson.

Odd. I have that book on hold at the library (volume one). I saw an interview with Ferguson on TVO and he seemed interesting.

You'll should enjoy the Harper book. The subject material seems dry and boring but the book is anything but.

I like your taste in books, Cornholio. 

Ferguson is a solid author.
Thanks given by:
Hey!
'Stephen Harper' among finalists for Shaughnessy Cohen Prize.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stephen-...-1.3472217

Although how the heck Robyn Doolittle managed to get on the Prize jury is beyond my comprehension...

Thanks given by:
(2016-02-27, 11:50 AM)Cornholio Wrote:

What makes it 'anything but' dry and boring?  Sell me.  Need some details.  Cuz so far, I'm not enticed at all
Thanks given by: