Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Can't find the "Good Read" thread, so...
Ibbotson ties up so many loose ends. You find out why Harper left Trinity College, you find out what he was actually doing when he worked at Imperial Oil in Edmonton (no, not sorting mail), you find out why he was a 'friend of Israel'. You find out why it took him 10 years to finish his masters at the U of C. Ibbotson does a lot of digging.
And you find out why he hated the press.
Ibbotson makes a good case for the Wests dissatisfaction with the east (or as he calls it, the Laurentian Elite). As someone who was raised in Ontario, most of this was news to me.

I was inspired to the point where I actually looked up Harper's editorial in the National Post following Trudeau the Elders death. I actually thought about posting it here, but didn't want to be responsible for an online civil war.
"Sheeeeeeeee-it" ~ Senator Clay Davis

Thanks given by:
Finished the damn Superman guide someone got me. Reminded me of his new 52 origins being different then the original
Thanks given by:
(2016-03-02, 06:32 PM)Cornholio Wrote: Ibbotson ties up so many loose ends. You find out why Harper left Trinity College, you find out what he was actually doing when he worked at Imperial Oil in Edmonton (no, not sorting mail), you find out why he was a 'friend of Israel'. You find out why it took him 10 years to finish his masters at the U of C. Ibbotson does a lot of digging.
And you find out why he hated the press.
Ibbotson makes a good case for the Wests dissatisfaction with the east (or as he calls it, the Laurentian Elite). As someone who was raised in Ontario, most of this was news to me.

I was inspired to the point where I actually looked up Harper's editorial in the National Post following Trudeau the Elders death. I actually thought about posting it here, but didn't want to be responsible for an online civil war.

Finished the book a couple weeks ago. It was great. 

Even as a right leaning guy (I know that will shock some people here), it changed my opinion of Harper quite a bit. I have a lot more respect for him and much of what he did. Yes, he is mostly responsible for his own downfall but that is inevitable with a decade long government in power.
Thanks given by: Cornholio
Am currently reading Black Earth: The Holocaust as History and Warning.

It gives a political history of the Holocaust and clarifies many of the misperceptions of the Holocaust that have stood over the decades. It also compares today's world and how conditions today are surprisingly similar to conditions that led to the Holocaust.

It is a very good read and I strongly recommend it for everyone.
Thanks given by:
Does it talk about Herman Goering's role in nazi Germany?
Thanks given by:
It's more about how other countries (and people) were more than willing to do the dirty work on the front lines.

Goering is mentioned but not much.

Hitler, himmler, and heyrich are the most mentioned names.
Thanks given by:
That book Black Earth was on my radar, recently considered getting a free month from Audible to listen because the wife was interested as well.
We just try to ignore the elephant somehow
Thanks given by:
(2016-01-17, 03:37 PM)Limestoner Wrote: I've just read Concussion. Had zero expectations but it turned out to be quite captivating.
Followed up on this recommendation. It wasn't bad. Light reading.
The author is involved in Amalu's foundation, so I'm not sure how objective she was with the story.

They couldn't have picked a more 'opposite' actor to play Amalu than Will Smith. From the photos, Amalu has the physical appearance of a black Charlie Brown. lol

Thanks given by:
(2016-03-02, 12:20 PM)Cornholio Wrote: Hey!
'Stephen Harper' among finalists for Shaughnessy Cohen Prize.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stephen-...-1.3472217

Although how the heck Robyn Doolittle managed to get on the Prize jury is beyond my comprehension...

And Ibbotson wins!
http://ottawacitizen.com/entertainment/b...-on-harper

Thanks given by:
So I finally got my hands on Go Set a Watchman from the library. Felt like I was back in grade 9 reading To Kill a Mockingbird; (there's a quiz this Friday omg!)
Atticus the Klansman! lololol

Thanks given by:
FInished Black Earth.

Very, very good.
Thanks given by:
(2016-05-07, 12:28 AM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote: FInished Black Earth.

Very, very good.
Got it on hold at the library on your recommendation, since our reading interests are so alike.

Read The Martian. The movie is a little better than the novel I think.
That may have been the author's first book. His real job is in IT.
Thanks given by:
I Hope you enjoy it Cornholio!
Thanks given by:
Starting "Witch of Edmonton". Its a play, but my prof thinks it'll help me understand witchcraft and the history of it better. Its boring so far Sad
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
(2016-05-12, 11:22 AM)bicboi Wrote: Starting "Witch of Edmonton". Its a play, but my prof thinks it'll help me understand witchcraft and the history of it better. Its boring so far Sad

To be honest, I never heard of this, and was wondering anyone would write about a witch in Edmonton Confused .  So I Googled the title, and learned it was written in 1621.... so, I assume there are no oversized, overcrowded shopping malls, or mulletted warlocks involved.

I recently read novel by Japanese author, Kobo Abe, called The Woman in the Dunes.  If you're claustrophobic,  I don't recommend this one, but otherwise I thought it was a great, reasonably quick read.

It's about a man forced into helping a woman dig sand. If that doesn't capture your imagination, I don't know what will.
Thanks given by:
(2016-01-17, 05:06 PM)Cornholio Wrote: I set a hold on July 13 2015 and I am currently #314 on 87 copies. Ottawa public Library.
They really should shorten the borrowing period to two weeks instead of 3, or start ramping up the fines for over due books.

Why don't you go buy the book?
Thanks given by:
(2016-01-17, 05:06 PM)Cornholio Wrote: I set a hold on July 13 2015 and I am currently #314 on 87 copies. Ottawa public Library.
They really should shorten the borrowing period to two weeks instead of 3, or start ramping up the fines for over due books.

Why don't you go buy the book?
Thanks given by:
(2016-02-26, 09:36 PM)TheNumber13 Wrote: The Kite Runner

Oh geez - I saw The Kite Runner play a couple of years ago (Theater Calgary) - actually it must have been 5 years ago because I think i was high.

That's a heavy heavy story.

Next season of Theater Calgary has a play from a book by the same author.
Thanks given by:
(2016-05-13, 06:52 PM)Fritz Wrote:
(2016-05-12, 11:22 AM)bicboi Wrote: Starting "Witch of Edmonton". Its a play, but my prof thinks it'll help me understand witchcraft and the history of it better. Its boring so far Sad

To be honest, I never heard of this, and was wondering anyone would write about a witch in Edmonton Confused .  So I Googled the title, and learned it was written in 1621.... so, I assume there are no oversized, overcrowded shopping malls, or mulletted warlocks involved.

I recently read novel by Japanese author, Kobo Abe, called The Woman in the Dunes.  If you're claustrophobic,  I don't recommend this one, but otherwise I thought it was a great, reasonably quick read.

It's about a man forced into helping a woman dig sand. If that doesn't capture your imagination, I don't know what will.

holy shit, just googled a short summary, definitely getting this
Thanks given by:
does anyone have any suggestions for some good coming of age books? Preferably male protagonist who's entering adulthood?

I found a few at a book store, but the main characters were females and in different countries during different time periods and am looking for something more familiar
Thanks given by: