Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Can't find the "Good Read" thread, so...
(2017-01-05, 10:54 PM)TheNumber13 Wrote: TOF you have time to read books on top of all the law school reading?!

I started law school in September. Haven't read for pleasure up until pretty recently over the Xmas break. January looks pretty laid back for me, so I'm still reading for pleasure. But September until December exams I was just way too busy, and February - April will likely be similar to the Fall.
Thanks given by:
Bought 3 books yesterday:

--Black Earth: The Holocaust as History and Warning by Timothy Snyder

--Secret Life:  The Jian Ghomeshi Investigation by Kevin Donovan

--Shake Hands With The Devil by Romeo Dallaire

I hope to find time to read all of these in the near future.
Thanks given by:
If anyone is a fan of James Rickards, I thought his third book 'The Road to Ruin' was a great read.  It goes into his thoughts about the next financial crisis.
Thanks given by:
King's book 11.22.63 is a fantastic read and not in the horror genre like most of his work. It tells the story of a man who goes back in time to try and prevent the JFK assassination
"Larry Bird isn't white, he's clear" - Bill Murray
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-05, 10:54 PM)TheNumber13 Wrote: TOF you have time to read books on top of all the law school reading?!

I usually get 2-3 books a semester in. 

I also listen to audio books when I'm doing household cleaning, walking, etc., so I can get another book in that way.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-06, 08:11 AM)art_vandelay Wrote: If anyone is a fan of James Rickards, I thought his third book 'The Road to Ruin' was a great read.  It goes into his thoughts about the next financial crisis.

The Death of Money and The Road to Ruin are both on my list. 

Currency Wars was very good. Hopefully these two follow suit.
Thanks given by:
Ordered The Decline and Fall of the British Aristocracy. Should be here tomorrow.

Hey TOF; would you recommend audio books?...I may be doing a shit ton of highway driving in the spring and was wondering if that might help pass the time.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-08, 05:51 PM)Limestoner Wrote: Ordered The Decline and Fall of the British Aristocracy. Should be here tomorrow.

Hey TOF; would you recommend audio books?...I may be doing a shit ton of highway driving in the spring and was wondering if that might help pass the time.

I've had an Audible subscription in the past and loved it, so did the wife.
We just try to ignore the elephant somehow
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-08, 05:51 PM)Limestoner Wrote: Ordered The Decline and Fall of the British Aristocracy. Should be here tomorrow.

Yeah if you have the attention span they are good. 

I usually listen to more engaging audiobooks. I find duller books harder to listen to and end up drifting in and out. 

For example, I bought Kissinger by Niall Ferguson and have had a hard time listening to it. I have to rewind it a few times and replay. All the Presidents Men, however, is much more engaging and I don't miss anything. 

If you do buy audiobooks, I recommend getting books you are really interested in. Thats if you suffer the same attention issues as i do.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-09, 01:41 AM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote:

I usually listen to more engaging audiobooks. I find duller books harder to listen to and end up drifting in and out. 

For example, I bought Kissinger by Niall Ferguson and have had a hard time listening to it. I have to rewind it a few times and replay. All the Presidents Men, however, is much more engaging and I don't miss anything. 

If you do buy audiobooks, I recommend getting books you are really interested in. Thats if you suffer the same attention issues as i do.

We listened to the Game of Thrones on Audible, all 5 books, brilliant
We just try to ignore the elephant somehow
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-06, 02:57 PM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote:
(2017-01-06, 08:11 AM)art_vandelay Wrote: If anyone is a fan of James Rickards, I thought his third book 'The Road to Ruin' was a great read.  It goes into his thoughts about the next financial crisis.

I thought each one was better than the previous - excellent reads.
Thanks given by:
Just starting "The Final Solution: The Fate of the Jews 1933-1949" by David Cesarani.

It was on a few Best of 2016 lists so hopefully it's as good as Black Earth was.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-09, 08:21 AM)art_vandelay Wrote:
(2017-01-06, 02:57 PM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote:

I thought each one was better than the previous - excellent reads.

I'll have to read them before I take off back to Aus. 

I got two weeks to fit them in.
Thanks given by:
Making my way through 'It' right now. Probably one of the longest books I've read!
"Larry Bird isn't white, he's clear" - Bill Murray
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-09, 01:41 AM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote:

Ferguson's Kissinger is a Tome. Thirty five hours on audiobook, if you want to go that way.

I noticed while reading the book jacket of Black Earth, Timothy Synder wrote a more acclaimed book on the same subject matter: Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin
I'm trying that one out next.
Thanks given by:
Looks interesting.

That's going on the list.
Thanks given by:
Anyone here ever read Psycho Cybernetics?
Thanks given by: