Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Can't find the "Good Read" thread, so...
I bought "Baseball's Back In Town" (a comprehensive history of baseball in Toronto) a couple weeks ago and it's amazing. So many interesting facts and old photos.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13640...ck-in-town
Thanks given by:
I'm reading Stephen King's 'The Dark Tower' series and I'm finally on the 7th and final book. I've enjoyed it, but the series peaks at number 4 and then takes a bit of a dip.

Overall, it's something I'd highly recommend for anyone looking for a new book series to get into.
"Larry Bird isn't white, he's clear" - Bill Murray
Thanks given by:
I read I think 1.5 books of the Dark Tower series. Sort of lost interest. The movie is coming out this summer I think, but no trailer yet, and I heard they're reshooting parts of it. Not a good sign. Granted, I am pretty excited to see Idris Elba and Matthew McConnaghy, pretty good cast.
Thanks given by:
It's a very difficult series to get into, probably because for the entirety of the first book you have no idea what's going on. You basically just get introduced to this character, but you know nothing of his story or the world he is in (or even when), aside from the fact that he is in search of a dark tower. Slowly you learn more and more about the character and the world he lives in, but the first book is very slow moving. Thankfully, the first book is only 200 or 300 pages, so it's a pretty quick read, but if it wasn't for the fact that I had the first 4 books given to me as a gift, I likely would have stopped after the first one. Having just started the 7th book, I can only say that it's enjoyable so far, but I would rank 1-6 as follows: 4, 3, 2, 5, 1, 6.

The movie adaption I believe tells a different story of the one in the novels (at least that's what I've read). I think I read an article that says it's more of a sequel, which I'm a little skeptical of. Regardless, I don't have high expectations. I do enjoy Idris Elba though.
"Larry Bird isn't white, he's clear" - Bill Murray
Thanks given by:
Just finished CJ Pascoe's Dude, you're a *****". It's an ethnography on how traditional masculinity and sexuality is toxic towards males, females, and institutions. I thought the art of ethnography was dead, but this was well done. The methodology was really well done and I don't have much complaints​. 8/10
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by: