Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canada s disprortionate in bronze medals?
Anyone else wonder why Canada has so many more Bronzemedals than others, Gold or Silver.

Most countries seem to have near equal representation on medals.

Just curious.
Thanks given by:
If you look at it in a horse racing terminology.

We often come to show. Not good enough to win but just enough to show.

There's only 1 winner everyone else lost.

We are a 3rd place kinda country!
Warning:  Brain May not be Engaged.
Thanks given by:
Good point. Of the top twenty nations Canada is one of two (japan being the other) with more bronze medals than either gold or silver.
It could be a lack of depth in competitors, it could be that we only fund one athlete per event so we don't get the kind of internal competition that can drive better results.

On the other hand maybe its a positive thing. We don't have many top athletes in any discipline, but our ability to be represented in every discipline means we have a shot at making the podium at least.

Either way, forget about the mens team ever doing the country justice until we are weaned off of the hockey obsession, which won't be any time soon.
Thanks given by:
Our men won as many medals as our women in London.
We live to survive our paradoxes
Thanks given by:
Yes, the improvement in medal count is purely down to the woman's team, as the men's team has gone massively backward.
Thanks given by:
I agree, but you implied this is a regular thing, rather than just happening this Olympics. I don't think you can tie the results of one Olympiad to kids' choices 20 years ago when we didn't see the same results in London.
Thanks given by:
I am ok with us being 3rd in Syncro diving and riding mountain bikes.
Thanks given by: Cornholio
Just once I would like to see team Canada have way more gold than bronze.

I like seeing winners!
Thanks given by:
I am enjoying the success of our athletes in Rio - great job by Team Canada - you did great and providing me with hour and hours of entertainment over the last few weeks.
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-21, 12:10 PM)cflisthebest Wrote: Just once I would like to see team Canada have way more gold than bronze.  

I like seeing winners!

Sochi - 10 gold, 10 silver, five bronze
Vancouver - 14 gold, seven silver, five bronze

Expecting Canada to win a ton of gold at the summer games when they have to compete against the powerhouse US and Chinese teams isn't realistic. 22 medals in Rio is a fantastic result for us.

However, we should start winning a few more once De Grasse and Oleksiak really hit their stride.
Thanks given by: Pouzar
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-21, 12:25 PM)lewis94 Wrote:
(2016-08-21, 12:10 PM)cflisthebest Wrote: Just once I would like to see team Canada have way more gold than bronze.  

I like seeing winners!

Sochi - 10 gold, 10 silver, five bronze
Vancouver - 14 gold, seven silver, five bronze

Expecting Canada to win a ton of gold at the summer games when they have to compete against the powerhouse US and Chinese teams isn't realistic. 22 medals in Rio is a fantastic result for us.

However, we should start winning a few more once De Grasse and Oleksiak really hit their stride.

Yeah, I think I meant more in Summer games
Thanks given by:
The women made up 60% of the Canadian Olympic team.

This is partially due to the fact that there are countries that don't fund female sports or they give much less to the females than they do for male sports.

Our men face a larger pool of competitors worldwide to qualify for the Olympics. Men in our country also have many more opportunities at the professional level compared to females whether it be hockey, baseball, basketball,soccer or lacrosse so they choose those options over the traditional Olympic sports.
Thanks given by:
I heard a comment on local sports radio that 2/3rds of the Canadian Olympic Team in Rio is under the age of 22. That bodes really well for us come 2020.

The funding model for the Canadian Olympic Team changed right when Vancouver got the Olympic games. The program "Own the Podium" was put in place. It's been VERY effective and it's only going to help our athletes even more going forward. The legacy from the Vancouver games has left a lot of training facilities intact. Those don't just benefit the winter athletes but also the summer athletes.

I am very positive about the future for Canadian Olympians.
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-20, 09:58 PM)cflisthebest Wrote: If you look at it in a horse racing terminology.

We often come to show. Not good enough to win but just enough to show.

There's only 1 winner everyone else lost.

We are a 3rd place kinda country!

I would agree with this statement. We also had a few 4th place finishes. 4th place is the worst position to be in IMO
Thanks given by:
I think Mohammed Ahmed is likely extremely happy with his 4th place finish in the 5000m.
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-21, 12:58 PM)Pouzar Wrote: I think Mohammed Ahmed is likely extremely happy with his 4th place finish in the 5000m.

I'm guessing you didn't see his interview after the race.  He's gutted.  He wanted a medal, and believed he had what it took to get one.
Thanks given by:
No, I did not see his interview but, to my knowledge he placed better than his general rank.

Could be wrong though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Nothing wrong with being 3rd best in the world Happy
Why is common sense not so common?
Thanks given by:
Winning time was 13:03.30. Ahmed ran it in 13:05.94.
Earlier this year in May, he ran it in 13:01.74 .. his personal best and a Canadian record.

cbc was talking him up quite a bit as a good chance at a medal.
Thanks given by: