Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chabot knows volume will be way up for world juniors on home soil
Thought Sens fans might enjoy this read.
Link will follow shortly but our paper is, sad to say, a full pay wall paper.
Cheers!

https://www.telegraphjournal.com/telegra...?nopromo=1

SAINT JOHN • For Saint John Sea Dogs defenceman Thomas Chabot, the best memory of playing for Canada in last year’s world junior championship in Finland was seeing clusters of Canucks in the stands. He’d hoped the highlight would be winning a gold medal, but the Canadians finished sixth after losing to the Finns in the quarter-final.

The volume of fans, both in quantity and noise, will be turned way up this year. Canada is hosting the holiday tournament, with games being held in hockey meccas Montreal and Toronto. Not winning a medal this time around will be tougher to deal with for Team Canada.

“You’re representing your country and everyone expects you to win,” Chabot said. “You have a lot of pressure coming with that, but that’s part of the deal you sign up for when you make that team.”

After starting the season in the NHL with the Ottawa Senators, Chabot understands what it takes to reach the next level. He intends to use every ounce of that knowledge at this year’s Team Canada training camp in Boisbriand, Que. The tournament begins on Dec. 26.

“It helps a lot,” Chabot said of the NHL experience. “I spent almost three months in Ottawa. It’s always easier for a guy coming back from the NHL to come back to a good team and not a team that’s rebuilding. It made my job a lot easier. We’ve heard a lot of stories about guys coming back from the NHL and having a hard time when they come back to junior. I’m really glad it went the right way for me.”

Chabot, one of Ottawa’s first-round draft picks in 2015, didn’t sulk when the Senators sent him back to the Sea Dogs. The 19-year-old from Sainte-Marie-de-Beauce, Que., appeared in just one game for the Sens and was getting antsy for more ice time, whether he remained in the NHL or returned to Saint John.

All he’s done in 14 games with the Sea Dogs is tally 20 points. That production, along with a commitment to develop his defensive game, led to his second straight invitation from Team Canada.

“I had the chance to do it last year and that’s how lucky I am,” Chabot said. “I have the chance to do it a second time. A lot of guys don’t even have the chance to do it once. I’m really excited.

“I started my season in the NHL, which is where I always wanted to be. I got back here and we have a great team here. We haven’t lost many games, which is a lot of fun. I’ve been with pretty much half of these guys for four years, so it’s good to be back here. But for sure, I cannot stop thinking about Christmas.”

Chabot has been an integral factor in the Sea Dogs’ rise to the top of the overall standings. Saint John (21-7-3-1) had reached first overall in the 18-team Quebec Major Junior Hockey League when Chabot left for Team Canada’s camp.

The Port City squad, which defeated the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada 4-1 on Sunday, returns to action when it hosts the Halifax Mooseheads Friday night at Harbour Station, also the site of Saturday evening’s contest against the Charlottetown Islanders. Both games begin at 7 p.m.

“Thomas is an outstanding skater and is now in his fourth full year in the league, so he brings a lot of experience,” Saint John head coach Danny Flynn said. “He’s at his best when he’s moving the puck and joining the rush. He’s worked hard to become a better defender and working hard to think shot more than pass. When he’s on his game, he moves the puck well and he breaks the puck out well for our team.”

The Sea Dogs didn’t make the playoffs in Chabot’s rookie year. Life as a 16-year-old defenceman in the QMJHL is tough enough, but the challenges are even greater when mistakes are magnified and costly on a sub-.500 team.

Things got better in his second year, with Saint John making the playoffs and seeing seven of its players selected in the 2015 NHL Draft. Last season saw the Sea Dogs take a significant step forward, reaching the semifinals before bowing out to the Shawinigan Cataractes.

“When we talk about it, that’s what makes it so great,” Chabot said of his team’s progress. “We’ve been through it all. We had a hard time in our first season and (to some extent) in our second, then last year was pretty good and this year we’re very good. That’s what makes it special about our group.

“Everyone knew how bad it was when we were losing. We want to get more this year than we did last year. We know how bad we felt after losing in the semifinals, so for sure, we don’t want that to happen again.”

Chabot has been a huge factor in the Sea Dogs’ improvement. He’s hoping the same happens this year with Team Canada. And while coming home without a medal was tough, there were parts of the world juniors that transcend the final standings.

“Last year in Finland was a lot of fun,” he said. “We were playing in a rink full of Canadian fans in Finland, which is pretty crazy.”
Tomorrow Is Just Another Day!!
Thanks given by:
Thanks for sharing. 

I was kind of disappointed the Sens dressed him for just 1 game.
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf
Part of me wanted to see him stay with Ottawa and the selfish side wanted him back here. But I like what I am seeing in his future. To think him and Hoffman both came from the Sea Dogs.
Tomorrow Is Just Another Day!!
Thanks given by:
I saw him play his one game in Ottawa. My take away from that game, his skating is a work of art. He seems so fast, with so little effort. Each time he was on the ice it was incredible to watch how smooth and fast he was.
Yes he caused a goal, big deal, I remember watching Chris Phillips as a rookie, he was like a hand grenade with the puck. And he certainly never skated like Chabot does.
First thing we'd climb a tree, and maybe then we'll talk......
Thanks given by: