Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Champion's League
Arsenal getting schooled by the French champs, and benefit from a ghost penalty 1-1 at half.
I really don't enjoy watching this Arsenal formation, placing Sanchez on the opposite side of the field from ozil.  To me, what has made us special, is ozil and Sanchez playing 10 yards from each other in the opposing third.  

Arsenal riding some serious luck in the last three matches including this one so far.
Courage, my word, it didn't come, it doesn't matter.
Thanks given by:
...and our very un-arsenalesc luck continues...PSG own goal 2-1 Arsenal with 30 minutes to play.
Thanks given by:
2-2 now and Cavani had a clue where the goal is it would be 4-2.
Thanks given by:
Somehow poetic that the Arsenal score a lovely own goal to balance the score.

As an aside, is there a dumber player in the league than Gibbs?
Thanks given by:
Are you confusing Gibbs with Oxlade- Chamberlain?
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-23, 05:22 PM)miltonred Wrote: Are you confusing Gibbs with Oxlade- Chamberlain?

Perhaps Walcott?
Want to hear that joke again?
Thanks given by:
Didn't see the game just the ?highlights!

Watched the City/Gladbach game. No matter what Pep or any other pundit thinks, John Stones sucks balls and Liverpool are well rid of the overrated and ineffectual Sterling.

So Stones and Cahill are considered amongst the best defensive prospects in England?
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-24, 10:02 AM)TonyManYoo Wrote: Didn't see the game just the ?highlights!

Watched the City/Gladbach game. No matter what Pep or any other pundit thinks, John Stones sucks balls and Liverpool are well rid of the overrated and ineffectual Sterling.

So Stones and Cahill are considered amongst the best defensive prospects in England?

Don't get me going on Chambers either.

I think the problem with our Gibbs is that he fancies himself a winger, and has never embraced and grasped the opportunity to be our everyday left fullback. The nuances of footwork, body positioning, anticipating danger, channeling your opponent, continue to elude him.  Couple his defensive liabilities with marginal effectiveness in the opposing third and you've got a bottom tier Prem player unworthy of the Gunner crest.  I could almost hear Ozil sigh when he looked at the starting lineup, and saw iwobi and Gibbs keeping him company on the left.  There was one play that epitomized a mentally checked out Gibbs....it was a play leading to the corner, that led to the tying goal, and he simply doesn't see the danger, doesn't track back, and simply lets his man go.  I wish I could find the vid.  On that simple play alone, I sit him down for the next few matches, and make him watch vintage tapes of winterburn over and over.
Thanks given by:
Defending has long since died as an art, and I blame smoking.

Hear me out.

Back in the day players smoked and were most slow as heck. The idea of a full back making a gut bursting run to join the attack would be met with hilarity. As a result Full backs learned the art of defending, they were brought up in it and that's what the were.

Now fast forward, smoking is off the menu, players start getting fitter, and it is realised that pacey players can win you games. It started with wingers like Lee Sharpe, Ryan Giggs and Kanchelskis, but then it has gradually morphed into the FB being a key element of providing width.

Enter the Athballer. Young skinny speed merchant charging up the wing to make the overlap and fire in a mostly ineffective cross. The he charges back doing very well just to remember which side of the field he is supposed to be on, and is expected to actually be a good defender too? Forget it.

Moreno, case in point. Gibbs, etc.etc.

Bring back smoking! Wink
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-24, 01:02 PM)miltonred Wrote: Defending has long since died as an art, and I blame smoking.

Hear me out.

Back in the day players smoked and were most slow as heck. The idea of a full back making a gut bursting run to join the attack would be met with hilarity. As a result Full backs learned the art of defending, they were brought up in it and that's what the were.

Now fast forward, smoking is off the menu, players start getting fitter, and it is realised that pacey players can win you games. It started with wingers like Lee Sharpe, Ryan Giggs and Kanchelskis, but then it has gradually morphed into the FB being a key element of providing width.

Enter the Athballer. Young skinny speed merchant charging up the wing to make the overlap and fire in a mostly ineffective cross. The he charges back doing very well just to remember which side of the field he is supposed to be on, and is expected to actually be a good defender too?  Forget it.

Moreno, case in point. Gibbs, etc.etc.

Bring back smoking! Wink
Lol, milty.  In my best Steve Martin clouseau voice, "Good one".
Thanks given by:
Valencia has looks alright this year Milt!

I think part of the problem is there's no glory in defending and everyone wants glory now. Back around the time you highlighted, players were motivated by sticking the best player on the other team right in their back pocket. I don't see that now.

I blame fancy boots and the marketing of football.
Thanks given by:
Fair enough on Valencia. He has learned his craft, and still has the skill in the final third to provide a quality ball.
Thanks given by:
He's definitely gotten better goal side, that's for sure.

Shaw has really had a hard time bouncing back from that injury. Defending is a lost art, that's for sure.
Thanks given by:
A bit of a bizarro afternoon of champions league. Arsenal wearing their rarely seen black strip with yellow trim and starting Gabriel, Holding and Gibbs along the back line. Gulp!

Anyway, Arsenal away at tricky Basel, find themselves two up on a pair of assists by .....Gibbs, of all people, and the goals tapped in by Perez! I'd forgotten all about him.

Adding strangeness to the day is the score from Paris, where the hosts are down 1-0 to Ludogorets! Maybe I should run out to the Happy Lucky Fortune corner mart and buy a lotto ticket?
Thanks given by:
Adding to the weirdness of the encounter, is the running on field nip and tuck between the brothers Xhaka
Thanks given by:
...and the ludicrous afternoon continues...3-0, Perez with three, and a generous scorer just might credit Gibbs with a third assist!
Thanks given by:
I think we need to trot out in the black kit more often.  In spite of a make shift starting 11, we looked cohesive and surgical.  So it ends 4-1 and the only boo boo was a Rob Holding brain cramp late in the match.  Inexplicably, the Bulgars take a point in Paris, so the Arsenal top their group for the first time in five years.  

That's the good news.  The bad news is B. munchen finish second in their group and become a possibility as our next opponent.  Help me out here, but I believe we cannot draw an English side in the next round? If so, that means Man City is not a possibility.  I have to look at the possibility of Spurs finishing second, but without Spurs, it means we've a 1/7 chance of drawing the German champs...1/6 if Spurs finish second?
Thanks given by:
Sooooo .... how are you feeling about Gibbs today?   Silly

I like the lad, always have.  On his day, this is the performance you get from him.  He may run a bit hot and cold, but, how many starts does he get to keep his skills honed?  You're a Monreal man, I know, but there was also a time when Monreal could single handedly - and at times still does, stink up the place quite sufficiently.  Teams have purposely exploited his side for this very reason.  He can make critical mistakes.  

I would have credited Gibbs with a 3rd assist, I'm generous.  Played a brilliant ball into a direct attack.  

AND Perez .... very impressive, again.  In these very few instances he gets the nod, he revels in the opportunity.  Certainly gives Wenger something to think about in the coming weeks.

Thanks given by:
(2016-12-07, 08:31 AM)Gooner Wrote: Sooooo .... how are you feeling about Gibbs today?   Silly

I like the lad, always have.  On his day, this is the performance you get from him.  He may run a bit hot and cold, but, how many starts does he get to keep his skills honed?  You're a Monreal man, I know, but there was also a time when Monreal could single handedly - and at times still does, stink up the place quite sufficiently.  Teams have purposely exploited his side for this very reason.  He can make critical mistakes.  

I would have credited Gibbs with a 3rd assist, I'm generous.  Played a brilliant ball into a direct attack.  

AND Perez .... very impressive, again.  In these very few instances he gets the nod, he revels in the opportunity.  Certainly gives Wenger something to think about in the coming weeks.
I loved the unbridled optimism, Goons, I really do, but let's stay grounded, bud.  You, or I could have taken Perez's place and scored those three, and Gibbs' "brilliant ball" was a cruise missile fired at Sanchez, off Alexis's shin pads, and fortuitously through into the path of Perez.  Gibbs's second assist was a head down decision to shoot, and another fortuitous bounce off the keeper to Perez.

The team played very well, but this jury is still out on both players.
Thanks given by:
I gots to be optimistic, otherwise, I just end up like all the other Arsenal complainers (no inference to you, my man).  I'm a pint is half full kind of guy.  

You see Gibbs cruise missile as an error, yet, I see Sanchez as still being able to still play it forward with an attack that was still continuing.  You're right, we both could have scored on at least one of Perezs' attempts, but, how many times have we seen Giroud in that same loitering position, lose composure, and miss a sitter?  In a tad over 7 hours of football in all competitions, Perez has bagged 6 goals and 3 assists.  Myself, I'd like to see him get a few starts in the Prem to give him that opportunity to win over the jury ..... and he probably will get it when Sanchez goes down with injury due to his own stubborn nature.  

Love Love Love

Thanks given by: