Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Champion's League
Something rather dull about this years CL. Not sure what.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-08, 07:45 AM)miltonred Wrote: Something rather dull about this years CL. Not sure what.

Your team's not in it?
Courage, my word, it didn't come, it doesn't matter.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-08, 09:29 AM)Arsenal Wrote:
(2016-12-08, 07:45 AM)miltonred Wrote: Something rather dull about this years CL. Not sure what.

Your team's not in it?

No, Liverpool haven't been in it for a while. This year the big thing that's different is United aren't in it, so naturally Milton can't get up for it.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-08, 10:56 AM)theDC Wrote:

Your team's not in it?

No, Liverpool haven't been in it for a while. This year the big thing that's different is United aren't in it, so naturally Milton can't get up for it.

...and Leicester topped their group.  How can anyone not get excited about that!
Thanks given by:

Your team's not in it?

Sheesh! 
No I think I just haven't seen that many interesting matches. 
Maybe it'll get more interesting in the knock out stages figuring out which round Arsenal will lose in! Wink
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-08, 01:03 PM)miltonred Wrote:

Your team's not in it?

Sheesh! 
Maybe it'll get more interesting in the knock out stages figuring out which round Arsenal will lose in! Wink

Pft...you're a maths/  stats/ probability kinda guy.  I trust you can work that one out.   Have you seen the seven possibilities?  The four certainties of life for an Arsenal fan....Death...taxes...Theo will get hurt...and the Arsenal bow out in the round of 16.  

It might be different this season?  We seem to be an improved club after the massive sort out this off season, and the addition of Mustafi.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-08, 02:29 PM)Arsenal Wrote:

Your team's not in it?

Sheesh! 

Pft...you're a maths/  stats/ probability kinda guy.  I trust you can work that one out.   Have you seen the seven possibilities?  The four certainties of life for an Arsenal fan....Death...taxes...Theo will get hurt...and the Arsenal bow out in the round of 16.  

It might be different this season?  We seem to be an improved club after the massive sort out this off season, and the addition of Mustafi.

You should check out Arsenal stats every season about now. A decades long tale of winter hope dashed in springtime.
Thanks given by:
I can't get into the Group Stages of the CL because it's such a long haul to settle what we can predict probably 80% of the time in most of these groups. Lots of games and the clubs are playing games in between not to mention the breaks. The ebbs overcome the flow.

Group style formats are only interesting if it's short and sweet. If you lose your first game, you don't have much time to get it together.

But the 2-legged knockout is always fun.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-08, 09:55 PM)miltonred Wrote:
(2016-12-08, 02:29 PM)Arsenal Wrote:
(2016-12-08, 09:29 AM)Arsenal Wrote: Your team's not in it?

Sheesh! 

You should check out Arsenal stats every season about now. A decades long tale of winter hope dashed in springtime.
The Arsenal epitomize who I am as a person; solid, stable, consistent and a seeker of 'art' and beauty in all it's forms.  The joy is in the doing, the joy is in the game by game hope, not necessarily in the shiny bobble at season's end.  There's a phrase you introduced to me years ago on these boards...."winning without winning"....it ranks right at the top of my list of favourite expressions...and it suits the Arsenal, and me well.  Another favourite is a phrase used occasionally to describe the history of the Scots, and their 'glorious defeats'.  It's what makes the scots so damned lovable.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-08, 10:04 PM)andreroy Wrote: I can't get into the Group Stages of the CL because it's such a long haul to settle what we can predict probably 80% of the time in most of these groups. Lots of games and the clubs are playing games in between not to mention the breaks. The ebbs overcome the flow.

Group style formats are only interesting if it's short and sweet. If you lose your first game, you don't have much time to get it together.

But the 2-legged knockout is always fun.

I get that.  But as the saying goes, better CL football than none at all.

I'm scanning the list of the 8 second place finishers.  The next round will be fun.
Thanks given by:
The CL has always been a tournament where the group stages are bullshit. The real tournament has always started in February. You can thank Platini for the new format with shit teams.

Anyhoo....a nice focus on the domestic leagues are what's needed. Thankfully no bloody internationals for 12 weeks.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-09, 04:08 PM)Busby Wrote: The CL has always been a tournament where the group stages are bullshit.  The real tournament has always started in February.  You can thank Platini for the new format with shit teams.

Anyhoo....a nice focus on the domestic leagues are what's needed.  Thankfully no bloody internationals for 12 weeks.

Finding it hard to get worked up about a mid week clash with Zorya?
Thanks given by:
With Bayern, Real Madrid and FC Porto all finishing 2nd, it's going to make for a very interesting knockout stage.

Obviously I'll hope Arsenal can avoid one of them, but I would give them a good shot against anyone but Real. Bayern are simply not the menace they have been in years past.
"Larry Bird isn't white, he's clear" - Bill Murray
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-09, 07:40 PM)encore Wrote: With Bayern, Real Madrid and FC Porto all finishing 2nd, it's going to make for a very interesting knockout stage.

Obviously I'll hope Arsenal can avoid one of them, but I would give them a good shot against anyone but Real. Bayern are simply not the menace they have been in years past.

I'll be praying, in German, on Monday for Leverkusen.
Thanks given by:
I'll be very happy with any of Leverkusen, Benfica, or Sevilla.

That said, I recall being quite pleased when we drew Monaco a couple of years ago. We played quite well for 30 of the 180 minutes, and the final result was very fitting.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-09, 08:26 PM)encore Wrote: I'll be very happy with any of Leverkusen, Benfica, or Sevilla.

That said, I recall being quite pleased when we drew Monaco a couple of years ago. We played quite well for 30 of the 180 minutes, and the final result was very fitting.

Amen.  Thank goodness Arsenal killer Berbatov isn't in the Champions league in 2017.
Thanks given by:
How do you feel about Arsenal's Premier League campaign so far?

I've been relatively happy with the way things have played out. I would have never guessed the club we thumped 3-0 in September would be leading the league by 3 points in mid-December, but I don't think there's too much to complain about so far. We had a stinker against ManU a few weeks back and gave away points to Tottenham and Boro, but otherwise I think we've played well. It's a very explosive club this year.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-09, 08:37 PM)encore Wrote: How do you feel about Arsenal's Premier League campaign so far?

I've been relatively happy with the way things have played out. I would have never guessed the club we thumped 3-0 in September would be leading the league by 3 points in mid-December, but I don't think there's too much to complain about so far. We had a stinker against ManU a few weeks back and gave away points to Tottenham and Boro, but otherwise I think we've played well. It's a very explosive club this year.

I'm digging the vibe around this version of the team.  To use a poker analogy, I feel we're all in.  The off season clear outs and loan outs.  The resolution of our centreback situation.  Not only has Wenger been decisive during the off season, he's managing more aggressively in season, and I loved his early season rhetoric...we're men now, we're no longer boys, we're experienced, our time is now etc etc.  He set expectations early, and he's trotting out teams that are working.

In short, I'm enjoying the team, and I fully expect to win games.
Thanks given by:
Leicesters luck in CL continues. First they draw the easiest group, then they get the enviable draw of Sevilla in the knockout stage. Meanwhile, Arsenal get their old buddies Bayern. At least it's not Real.
Thanks given by:
encore...do you watch football mate? Sevilla was the "eviable" draw? Maybe I don't see what you do, but Sevilla have won Europa three years on the trot I think. Sevilla finished second to Juve in the group and are a point back of Barcelona in La Liga.

Arsenal have already defeated themselves with this draw. The boffin fans with the stats have already pointed out Arsenal have flown to Germany more times in the last three years than the RAF did in the 40's. Classic Arsenal mentality. Which one of your players will you blame for the loss I wonder? Giroud or Walcott? Maybe a new flavour? Surely not Ozil? He'll sign. Don't worry. You wouldn't dare blame Cech would you? He was the gift from Chelsea!

As for midweek in Ukraine, yeah, I like it Arsenal. I like my football team. Do you like yours? Not sure about that. I think like most, they like to see Man United do no good or anything more than their own team winning. The good news for Arsenal/Chelsea fans both teams have one more fixture against United, so you can kill two birds with one stone. Endearingly, Liverpool fans don't seem to give a **** about us one way or the other, which is kind of cool.

Update, Pogba used is right foot 98% vs Spurs and his left foot mostly for standing. There's a left foot clause in his contract that my mate down the pub was telling me. Word is, if he doesn't use is left foot a cumulative score of greater than %10 of the total matches this year with a standard deviation no less than 0.2%, then United have to pay Juve and Raiola a %3000 bonus on the transfer fee. There is also word around the south london pubs that Zlatan can't find a place to live with a warm bed and he's apparently told the club he wants to leave. He also, according to my mate, wants to play for Chelsea. Everyone has Chelsea in their hearts, but they're afraid to win too much so they don't come to Chelsea. I also bet my mate down the pub that Daley Blind will not be able to wear his hair in a bun every game. I got good odds on it.
Thanks given by: