Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discussing Investments
I've been following a website called Phils Stock World. Its pretty complex but I'm learning a lot about "put" options. When I feel I have a handle on it I'm going to have a go at it.
The upside is incredible, with a fairly limited exposure, but you have to be paying very close attention to whats going on to even get close to maximising the return.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-30, 05:42 PM)miltonred Wrote: I've been following a website called Phils Stock World. Its pretty complex but I'm learning a lot about "put" options. When I feel I have a handle on it I'm going to have a go at it.
The upside is incredible, with a fairly limited exposure, but you have to be paying very close attention to whats going on to even get close to maximising the return.

Do you have a specific market you're looking into when you do this?

I typically follow the North American markets, but I generally only trade a few stocks that I watch closely.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-30, 02:30 PM)Moe Szyslak Wrote: I don't have a lot of disposable income but I should start planning for my fiscal future.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
You'll be amazed at what you can do when you add a daughter to the equation.

Moe...There is nothing like it.

Nothing.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-30, 04:11 PM)art_vandelay Wrote:
(2016-12-30, 12:58 PM)BlueMountain Wrote: Real estate for me.

Almost five years ago I posted about buying up real estate in Hamilton.

Turns out, ( but I'm not sure there was any doubt) it was a very good idea.

I like tangible.

Things I can pee on.

Real Estate in the Edmonton and Calgary areas has dropped from what I can tell over the last 12 months or so.  There are deals to be had - the unfortunate side of that is that some of the people who need the income or are looking to move out are being low balled.
Hamilton has seen annual gains of between 10 and 20%, depending on location.

But that's been every year for the last 5...

Timing, timing, timing...

( I do realize that's it's a little heavy on capital expenditure)

Thanks given by:
Currently holding RY, MDI, MFC and MG plus a long term equity mutual fund. Considering investing in a 6% a year USD term deposit but not sure right now. The USD is in a strange spot where around normal compared to some commodity currencies, CDN and AUD but US economy is ahead and commodity prices low. Not sure what will happen when thenUS economy keeps ticking along and commodities rise again, usually means a decline in USD but maybe a few years.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-30, 06:10 PM)tm123 Wrote: Currently holding RY, MDI, MFC and MG plus a long term equity mutual fund.  Considering investing in a 6% a year USD term deposit but not sure right now.  The USD is in a strange spot where around normal compared to some commodity currencies, CDN and AUD but US economy is ahead and commodity prices low.  Not sure what will happen when thenUS economy keeps ticking along and commodities rise again, usually means a decline in USD but maybe a few years.

Nice.  I'm currently holding Enbridge, Suncor, and Seabridge Gold.  I've also got a little riskier one called DF that I've been in recently.  

This year I purchased my first physical gold and silver as well.  

I actually think a play in USD isn't bad if the Fed is going to raise interest rates like they've promised next year (potentially 3 times).
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-30, 05:49 PM)art_vandelay Wrote:
(2016-12-30, 05:42 PM)miltonred Wrote: I've been following a website called Phils Stock World. Its pretty complex but I'm learning a lot about "put" options. When I feel I have a handle on it I'm going to have a go at it.

Do you have a specific market you're looking into when you do this?

I typically follow the North American markets, but I generally only trade a few stocks that I watch closely.

Commodities and stocks. I'm watching what's happening with the price of coffee right now and Apple shares.
Thanks given by:
This is the perfect example of how a thread can be rehabilitated and released back into the wild.
Thanks given by:
Anybody else hold Bitcoin?  I bought some last year, but I'm not sure if it's a safe play long term.

Most things I read say it's a secure investment, but I remember a while back there was a hack that caused the currency to plummet.
Thanks given by:
I just watched The Big Short a couple of nights ago. Only common sense to get ready for the next one.
A giraffe has no vocal cords. He has nothing to say, he just keeps on giraffing. 
Thanks given by:
The documentary 'The Inside Job' does an even better job getting into the details.  I highly recommend it.
Thanks given by: poppabyrd
(2017-01-01, 11:57 AM)art_vandelay Wrote: The documentary 'The Inside Job' does an even better job getting into the details.  I highly recommend it.

Thanks, I'll check it out for sure.
A giraffe has no vocal cords. He has nothing to say, he just keeps on giraffing. 
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-01, 11:41 AM)art_vandelay Wrote: Anybody else hold Bitcoin?  I bought some last year, but I'm not sure if it's a safe play long term.

Most things I read say it's a secure investment, but I remember a while back there was a hack that caused the currency to plummet.

I do a lot of Forex day trading, but even I stay away from Bitcoin. The whole model behind it is just too weird for me.
Thanks given by:
 Stocks that did well last year: Cummins Engines, Terex, Best Buy Stores, and Teck Corp went from $4 to $35. Got out just in time. Scotia Bank moved almost 50% in price and the divvie is pretty. Suncor did well.  Bell kind of flatlined, but with a 4.4% divvie, I still like it. CP rail is up 50% on the year too, and CNR just as strong with a divvie touching 2% but CP are cheapskates. New Ceo is Ken Creel. Hunter (I think) just kind of retired. I like all the above except for Teck. Holding both Rails, Bell and a Bank. Waiting for the January dip.. might come later
Phill 2:10-11 
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-01, 01:11 PM)HockeyHippy Wrote:
(2017-01-01, 11:41 AM)art_vandelay Wrote: Anybody else hold Bitcoin?  I bought some last year, but I'm not sure if it's a safe play long term.

I do a lot of Forex day trading, but even I stay away from Bitcoin. The whole model behind it is just too weird for me.

I don't know enough about Bitcoin to even offer an opinion. Day trading scares me. I am too emo' so hold for a run and then sell.. or just plain hold forever

Dollarama did well.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-30, 06:10 PM)tm123 Wrote: Currently holding RY, MDI, MFC and MG plus a long term equity mutual fund.  Considering investing in a 6% a year USD term deposit but not sure right now.  The USD is in a strange spot where around normal compared to some commodity currencies, CDN and AUD but US economy is ahead and commodity prices low.  Not sure what will happen when thenUS economy keeps ticking along and commodities rise again, usually means a decline in USD but maybe a few years.

I like Magna. They got a beatdown last year, but imo it was emo more than real trouble. I bought and sold some of it.. nice bump, too.  I bought Scotiabank at $42 US at the beginning of the year. Nice. Now $56 US and 74 Can$  Nice bump for a bank
Thanks given by:
I get no enjoyment watching the market on a daily basis, waiting for the giant game of irrational musical chairs to take my money away. It's a rigged game, I clearly don't understand, controlled by others I don't know, and designed to transfer wealth from the masses to the few.
Courage, my word, it didn't come, it doesn't matter.
Thanks given by: divit , divit
Markets closed today from the looks of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
This thread has brought up a little bit of shame for me as I'm not truly able to participate in it to the level I should be.

I'm a partner at Canada's biggest national firms (well, maybe 2nd largest right now), practicing in corporate finance with a specialty in debt finance and syndicated credit transactions - I speak with bank executives and CEOs and CFOs of some of the biggest issuers in the country on a daily basis and have advised lending syndicates on deals worth U.S$4 billion yet my knowledge of the financial markets isn't what it should be and my personal investments lack substance.

I turned 40 a couple of weeks ago and aside from a couple hundred grand of RRSPs (which is largely in the money markets doing nothing) and a very nominal amount of TFSA investment, my wife and I have no material investments.

Between the two of us, we are sitting on an immense amount of cash - shit its half of my draw last year and I do pretty good. My wife works full time and every penny she makes just sits in her checking account accumulating as our day to day expenses are put on our shared credit card and I take care of everything else.

We carry no debt (except the mortgage) and have access to hundreds of thousands in lines of credit.

I need to start investing for our retirement (I will have no pension) as I want to continue to travel quite a bit during our retirement but I just don't know what to do with the money.

I have spoken to financial advisers but (a) it bothers me to give them 1.5% to direct my investments and (b) I always question their advise if they are in any way connected to a chartered bank - thinking they will push that institution's products.

Part of me wants to put a hundred grand on our mortgage but with interest rates so low I know that is a poor choice - shit, I'm at prime minus 0.6 I think so I'm paying just over 2%. I think it actually makes more sense to borrow to invest at these interest rates than to pay of super cheap debt.

A goal of mine is to do something material with a good chunk or our excess cash in the first two quarters of 2017.

I know I should max out our RRSPs and TFSAs before we do anything - I'm sure my RRSP availability is $200K plus at this point and my TFSA will be close to $50K but that's boring.

I want to either (a) put a huge chunk on our mortgage, like 6 figures or (b) by a rental property in Mexico, Hawaii or Scottsdale.
Thanks given by:
Use your TFSA as an investment account.
Pop the $500 in there and you can invest in stocks and mutual funds lime a regular investment account but don't need to pay tax on the gains.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by: