Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Durant to Dub Nation
(2016-07-04, 11:28 AM)Chris D Wrote: I wonder if anyone who hates Durant going to GS, loved when Lebron left Cleveland to go to Miami.

not much difference in the two cases.  I know Lebron got a lot of haters for doing that in his quest for a ring...but Miami also got a heck of a lot more fans for becoming a "superteam".

I hated lebron's espn special when he did it.  I also thought it was a bit of a poor choice on his part since it was Wade's team/legacy and not his own.  Imagine lebron had gone to NY and brought them a championship?  It was there for the taking.
Thanks given by:
(2016-07-04, 11:28 AM)Chris D Wrote: I wonder if anyone who hates Durant going to GS, loved when Lebron left Cleveland to go to Miami.

not much difference in the two cases.  I know Lebron got a lot of haters for doing that in his quest for a ring...but Miami also got a heck of a lot more fans for becoming a "superteam".

Differences

1 - Lebron left his home town 
2 - Lebron made the people of Cleveland believe their team would win a Championship
3 - "The Decision" was so pompous and ridiculous....
4 - No one is comparing Durant to the greats of all time, all of whom stayed in one place and made their magic during their primes.
Thanks given by:
This sort of reminds me a little bit of the lakers in 2004 when they had that "dream" team, granted those players like payton and malone were at the tail end of their careers, but still you can't just plop great players on a team and expect it to work.

I'm not really sure if Durant takes them over the top to a ring or if he messes with Steph's team. This is a weird move and again as another poster put it it's hard to know how to improve a team like GS
Thanks given by:
(2016-07-04, 11:59 AM)theDC Wrote:

Differences

2 - Lebron made the people of Cleveland believe their team would win a Championship
4 - No one is comparing Durant to the greats of all time, all of whom stayed in one place and made their magic during their primes.

-while not his "hometown"...Durant did leave the team that drafted him, and he was with for his career

-Durant got the Thunder to the finals, and conference finals (within a game of the finals)...I think OKC thought their team could win a championship with him

-no doubt..."the decision" was pathetic...and I think a lot of haters started their hate because of that televised spectacle....I think KD's decision was handled better...he released his statement on players tribune, explaining his decision.

- No one is comparing Durant to the greats...but he has a storied past of success, MVP, ROY, scoring titles, deep playoff/finals runs....the only thing he doesn't have is a ring....hence him heading to GS.
Thanks given by:
Honestly, the best place for him to have gone IMO, would have been Toronto. He's the piece they are missing to truly challenge for a title. Then again, he's a great fit and needed for 99% of the teams out there.
Thanks given by:
(2016-07-04, 12:06 PM)Chris D Wrote:

Differences

-while not his "hometown"...Durant did leave the team that drafted him, and he was with for his career Still not the home town

-Durant got the Thunder to the finals, and conference finals (within a game of the finals)...I think OKC thought their team could win a championship with him hometown amplifies this pretty dramatically

-no doubt..."the decision" was pathetic...and I think a lot of haters started their hate because of that televised spectacle....I think KD's decision was handled better...he released his statement on players tribune, explaining his decision. Durant also called OKC's GM before it was released to tell him directly. Lebron kept his hometown in the dark along with everyone else. 

- No one is comparing Durant to the greats...but he has a storied past of success, MVP, ROY, scoring titles, deep playoff/finals runs....the only thing he doesn't have is a ring....hence him heading to GS.  The difference being people are comparing him to the greats of all time, making this a different level of player.

Just gave you differences as to why people felt the way they did, and will feel differently about Durant.
Thanks given by:
[Image: 16vuyn.jpg]

Thanks given by: bodisthava
(2016-07-04, 12:11 PM)theDC Wrote:
(2016-07-04, 12:06 PM)Chris D Wrote:

Differences

-while not his "hometown"...Durant did leave the team that drafted him, and he was with for his career Still not the home town

-Durant got the Thunder to the finals, and conference finals (within a game of the finals)...I think OKC thought their team could win a championship with him hometown amplifies this pretty dramatically

-no doubt..."the decision" was pathetic...and I think a lot of haters started their hate because of that televised spectacle....I think KD's decision was handled better...he released his statement on players tribune, explaining his decision. Durant also called OKC's GM before it was released to tell him directly. Lebron kept his hometown in the dark along with everyone else. 

- No one is comparing Durant to the greats...but he has a storied past of success, MVP, ROY, scoring titles, deep playoff/finals runs....the only thing he doesn't have is a ring....hence him heading to GS.  The difference being people are comparing him to the greats of all time, making this a different level of player.

you just gave you differences as to why people felt the way they did, and will feel differently about Durant.

just gave reasons to be okay with Durant leaving, and hate the way Lebron left Happy

can't say I disagree Happy
Thanks given by:
Charles P. Pierce ‏@ESQPolitics 32m32 minutes ago

Any OKC fan who says anything about "loyalty" needs to be slapped by anyone who lives in Seattle.
"I thank you in advance for the great round of applause I am about to get." - Bo Diddley
Thanks given by:
Lame. Maybe it's just me, but does it seem like the stars of today do more "jumping of ship" to try and stack teams to get a championship? I just don't recall this sort of thing happening as much in the past.
Thanks given by:
(2016-07-04, 03:09 PM)Superlube11 Wrote: Lame. Maybe it's just me, but does it seem like the stars of today do more "jumping of ship" to try and stack teams to get a championship? I just don't recall this sort of thing happening as much in the past.

Well to be fair they were indentured servants in the past. Becoming a free agent was a lot harder and usually didn't happen in any sport until you were past your prime.

I have no illusions. The old timers like Bill Russell and Rocket Richard etc would have happily jumped ship for more money if they could. Now everyone is rich so they jump teams to win rings.  The NBA is run by the players.

Durant is 10 years in with supposedly bad feet. He may feel more desperate than we think.
"I thank you in advance for the great round of applause I am about to get." - Bo Diddley
Thanks given by:
(2016-07-04, 10:57 AM)BlueMountain Wrote: Great.

A two team league.

Exciting

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

You mean it wasn't already a 2 team league last season?
Thanks given by:
Really love this move so Lebron doesn't get more than 3 rings.

Can't say I feel sorry for Lebron, he started this superteam bullshit in the first place.
Thanks given by:
This sucks. Poor OKC, they will likely become irrelevant now
Thanks given by:
If someone needed time to make a decision about resigning a team they are with there is a good chance they are leaving.Also there is NO SUCH THING AS LOYALTY IN SPORTS ANYMORE!!!!
Thanks given by:
did he not bitch about this same thing a few years ago? stars stacking teams?
Thanks given by:
a shame when people use free agency to make a decision based on what they feel is best for their career.

I mean...who really wants to go where they have the best chance to win.
Thanks given by: bodisthava
(2016-07-04, 11:11 AM)encore Wrote: This is going to elevate LeBron's legendary status when he takes down the Warriors again next year.

Love to see that.
time fears the pyramids, the pyramids fear Betty White

Thanks given by:
(2016-07-04, 05:40 PM)Doppelganger Wrote:
(2016-07-04, 11:11 AM)encore Wrote: This is going to elevate LeBron's legendary status when he takes down the Warriors again next year.

Love to see that.

Same. King James beating this insanely stacked team would be another one for the record books.
Thanks given by:
Dwayne Wade PLEASE sign with the Cavs it would be an epic showdown in the finals.
Thanks given by: