Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Encarnacion to the Tribe
Three years -$60 million
Thanks given by:
Free agent Edwin Encarnacion has agreed to a three-year deal with the Indians, a source told MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez on Thursday. The club has not confirmed the report.

The 33-year-old designated hitter/first baseman, a Blue Jay since 2009, batted .263 with 42 home runs and an American League-leading 127 RBIs in 2016.

David Adler is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/212025038/...-contract/
After All, Life Goes On
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-22, 09:10 PM)duediligence Wrote: Three years -$60 million

Reasonable?
After All, Life Goes On
Thanks given by:
he turned down a 4 year 80 mill deal from the Jays...the team he "wanted" to come back to...to take 20 mill less for 1 less year to go elsewhere.

rot in hell EE.

sorry.

little miffed
Thanks given by: MisterZ
I would say that timing is a rather large factor when comparing the 2 offers......

Sucks to lose him. I always thought he'd end up signing here. Oh well, moving on. Thanks for the memories Edwin!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
I don't hang this on EE...Jays management, in it's current configuration, is easy to dislike.

I blame them.

Go Jays (anyway)
Thanks given by:
Jays management made the best offer EE got in the offseason yet they're the ones to blame? I'll never understand some fans.
Thanks given by: MisterZ
(2016-12-22, 10:28 PM)shadylane Wrote: Jays management made the best offer EE got in the offseason yet they're the ones to blame? I'll never understand some fans.

When they gave him the offer it was the only offer he had. The Jays were the ones who drew the line in the sand and decided to move on as soon as EE hit free agency.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-22, 10:28 PM)shadylane Wrote: Jays management made the best offer EE got in the offseason yet they're the ones to blame? I'll never understand some fans.

My comment was made in jest, other than not liking Shapiro, etc.  I'm sure the agent is the culprit here
Thanks given by:
They both ***** up.
Thanks given by: Sportking , thebest41587
I blame his agent. Seems he got poor advice. The agent misread the market.
I have sex daily. I mean dyslexia.
Thanks given by:
Both sides are to blame here and even though the Jays offered the best deal that still doesn't mean they had true intention to sign him.

They had to know he would have never taken that deal once free agency opened. They should have offered that deal in spring training and if they did he would likely be resigned.

I just hope they re invest the money in the bullpen and on Bautista. They really don't have much choice if they hope to win next year.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-23, 12:11 AM)Sportking Wrote: Both sides are to blame here and even though the Jays offered the best deal that still doesn't mean they had true intention to sign him.

Yes it does. That's exactly what a contract offer means. Like, literally. You don't go "Sign here, take $80M of our money" if you don't want the player.

But I guess we can't assign blame this way or come up with conspiracy theories, so...
Thanks given by:
If they were willing to pay him that then why wasn't the offer given in spring training? Why did they lowball him with 2 years plus 2 option year.

Than they wait till he hits FA and gives him a hard deadline that they know he wasn't going to take due to wanting to test Free agency. They then pulled the offer after they signed Morales which they still could have done it with Morales playing DH and Edwin playing 1st.

Honestly some of you are so gullible.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-23, 03:15 AM)Sportking Wrote: If they were willing to pay him that then why wasn't the offer given in spring training? Why did they lowball him with 2 years plus 2 option year.

Than they wait till he hits FA and gives him a hard deadline that they know he wasn't going to take due to wanting to test Free agency. They then pulled the offer after they signed Morales which they still could have done it with Morales playing DH and Edwin playing 1st.

You can't compare what they offered in spring training to what they offered him as a UFA.  Two different situations.

Besides, the spring training offer may have been better than what he got from Cleveland.

Toronto's offer was $20 million better than the next best offer than he accepted.  That's a huge difference.

The Jays aren't blameless here - they didn't read the market as accurately as they could've.  I understand why they moved on, but at the same time some patience could've had Encarnacion back on the team for less than they initially offered.

It stings to see Cleveland add that kind of bat to their lineup, but it's ridiculous to suggest that Toronto wasn't serious.  They made the best offer, by far.
Thanks given by:
From TSN:

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/blue-jays-had-t...n-1.637412

"Now, the nitty gritty:

Fans will be angry over the deadline imposed on Encarnacion. That’s absolutely fair. Here’s what happened: Shapiro and Atkins made Encarnacion the $80-million offer and told him they needed a quick answer. The initial deadline was extended, twice, for a total of about 72 hours, which gave Encarnacion approximately a week to consider the offer.

He said no, as was his right. This was Encarnacion’s first kick at the free agency can and he wanted to test the market.

Encarnacion and his agent Paul Kinzer, however, were under no illusion. They’d been told by Shapiro and Atkins that the Blue Jays would move to make other signings if a deal didn’t get done. When the deadline passed, Shapiro and Atkins sprang into action and signed Kendrys Morales to a three-year, $33-million deal on November 11.

Since then Steve Pearce has been brought into the fold, the club lost out on the Dexter Fowler (St. Louis) sweepstakes and it was told a swift “thanks for calling but no thanks” by the White Sox when calling to inquire on the availability of Adam Eaton, who ended up being traded to Washington for a prospect haul the Jays couldn’t have matched because they’re in the process of restocking a farm system that was nicely depleted by the Troy Tulowitzki and David Price acquisitions of 2015.

Encarnacion, like other right-handed hitting sluggers older than 30 (Jose Bautista, Mark Trumbo) found the market to be lagging. The nine-figure deal he’d hoped for wouldn’t be a reality; he didn’t end up landing a deal better than Toronto’s original offer."
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-23, 03:15 AM)Sportking Wrote: If they were willing to pay him that then why wasn't the offer given in spring training? Why did they lowball him with 2 years plus 2 option year.

EE and his agent not accepting the Blue Jays' offer is on them and considering they ended up getting equal to/or less than that, can't really blame the Blue Jays.

4 years/$80 million was a legit offer and it was 50/50 whether or not EE was going to take it.
Thanks given by:
Morales and Pearce had better produce this next season, though no fault of their own. The dynamic duo (management) will be roasted by the fan faithful if the offense struggles at all. EE was a long serving, beloved player, who put up monster numbers, and this management could have had him back, if they wanted him.
Thanks given by:
Toronto made the best offer, but it had an expiry date and was very early on in the process.

Both sides had very different timelines on getting a deal done, and I believe that both were interested in working together but the difference in opinion on *when* the deal should happen was their undoing.

I don't really view it as either side being at fault. What if Toronto waited until now to try and sign Encarnacion, and got outbid, and all the other options were already signed too? Encarnacion and his agent obviously thought they could land a bigger contract on the free market, but it never materialized.

Good deal for the Indians to land him for only 3 years.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-23, 08:53 AM)RyeRocks Wrote: Toronto made the best offer, but it had an expiry date and was very early on in the process.

Both sides had very different timelines on getting a deal done, and I believe that both were interested in working together but the difference in opinion on *when* the deal should happen was their undoing.

I don't really view it as either side being at fault.  What if Toronto waited until now to try and sign Encarnacion, and got outbid, and all the other options were already signed too?  Encarnacion and his agent obviously thought they could land a bigger contract on the free market, but it never materialized.

Good deal for the Indians to land him for only 3 years.

Perhaps, but if you look at the options that are still out there, you see the Shapiro imposed deadline was the biggest miscalculation.  I know, hindsight.... but the Jays can either break even, or lose in this current scenario, I cannot see how they can win, unless EE falls on his face, and the Jays signings are lights out. History tells us that is not likely.

And EE should take his bat, and beat his agent for being stupid.
Thanks given by: