Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA Cup sponsored by Bearskin Airlines
I get what you're saying man, but the tough team draws in the Champions League are the whole point. Don't you think Arsenal should have reached more than one final in their entire Champions League history?

Speaking from the perspective of a United fan that saw the teams greatest period in their history, there were times where I (and a lot of other fans) wanted to give up a league and any domestic titles for european glory. There are a few tiny criticisms of Ferguson's reign at United, and they're really small (ie. not buying huge talent when it was available - Zidane, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Gatttuso, Kluivert etc.), but the big one is the lack of relative success in Europe. We could (and have) make excuses that we came good just when the very best squads of Milan and Barcelona hit their peak. 2009 and 2011 saw us defeated by Barcelona. 2007 2005 by Milan. Near Peak Bayern knocked us out in 2010.

Basically, to be considered elite, you have to beat any of these other teams, full stop.

So yeah...lucky. Arsenal have been really lucky in the FA cup. They've been fairly drawn in Europe, just as every other team has. I guess you could wish for Sevilla, but they're third in Spain, three off the top, two off second. They've defeated both Madrid teams at home. There's no easy teams in the CL knock out (maybe Leicester now). Never has been. There are, however; easy teams in the FA cup and Arsenal seem to have drawn them.

As for why I'm saying this...no, it's not really due to Father Arsenal. His arguments are weak and re-hashed efforts at a wind up. TT, was a dick because he wouldn't engage in actual conversation. We could be discussing topics like transfers and he'd completely ignore his club and ask 50 questions about United. And would then ignore all relevant information and key in on something like the perceived reason United couldn't get a certain player (ie. Ramos) and then would say his mate in the pub knows this guys brother and he was a life long Chelsea fan, since 2005. It was like debating women's rights with a Trump supporter. A waste of time and effort. Arsenal, at least, is a likable guy. He's also very good at not drinking the kool-aid.
Thanks given by:
Report from the Daily Mash!!

ARSENE Wenger has been warned that he has until 2029 to win the Premier League or face the consequences.

The unprecendented warning from the club’s board comes after a mere 12 years of failure to win the league even when nobody else is trying to.

CEO Ivan Gazidis said: “The club cannot go on like this. We need change and we need it within the next decade and a bit.

“Otherwise, difficult as it would be to dismiss a 79-year-old with his best years in management still ahead of him, Mr Wenger could find himself looking for a new job.”

But fan Norman Steele said: “This short-termist hire-and-fire mentality is everything that is wrong with modern football.

“Wenger needs time to build a team, then build another team, then build a team again.

“Plus by 2021 Jack Wilshere and Abou Diaby’s sons will be available and when they play they’ll feel like new signings.”
Thanks given by:
As soon as Walcott comes good things will turn around. Oxlade-Chamberlain is one for the future as well. Some very good 27 year old prospects in this Arsenal side.
Thanks given by:
So, Wayne Shaw - Sutton's backup keeper in this thread, has resigned due to pie gate.  The FA had a bung in their collective asses about his stunt of eating a pie, knowing that there was 8-1 odds on it.  As a result of his admission, the screws were turned, and Wayne called the next day and resigned which was accepted by Sutton's board.  

I find it odd/disturbing/funny that he is in the shit and lost his place in the team for admitting to eating a pie for a bet, one which Sun Bets came up with ... yet, in the same breath, would he not been just as guilty of NOT eating a pie, since the pie was the wager ... if you follow me?  I mean, when the bet is placed on the pie, you're ***** if you do or do not eat the pie. 

Anyways, think it is a very sad end to a great FA Cup story. Not entirely sure, but sounded like Wayne was actually shedding tears with his resignation.  

Oh, I mentioned well before the match that Arsenal would make a donation to Sutton ... and they did exactly that, to the tune of £50k, which equalled their share of the gate receipts.  Lovely gesture.

Thanks given by:
(2017-02-22, 01:06 PM)Gooner Wrote: So, Wayne Shaw - Sutton's backup keeper in this thread, has resigned due to pie gate.  The FA had a bung in their collective asses about his stunt of eating a pie, knowing that there was 8-1 odds on it.  As a result of his admission, the screws were turned, and Wayne called the next day and resigned which was accepted by Sutton's board.  

I find it odd/disturbing/funny that he is in the shit and lost his place in the team for admitting to eating a pie for a bet, one which Sun Bets came up with ... yet, in the same breath, would he not been just as guilty of NOT eating a pie, since the pie was the wager ... if you follow me?  I mean, when the bet is placed on the pie, you're ***** if you do or do not eat the pie. 

Anyways, think it is a very sad end to a great FA Cup story.  Not entirely sure, but sounded like Wayne was actually shedding tears with his resignation.    

Oh, I mentioned well before the match that Arsenal would make a donation to Sutton ... and they did exactly that, to the tune of £50k, which equalled their share of the gate receipts.  Lovely gesture.

I hope he's savvy enough to grab onto the fabulous business opportunity....Wayne's Pies...could be the most lucrative thing to ever happen to the lad.
Courage, my word, it didn't come, it doesn't matter.
Thanks given by:
Surely nothing unto ward can happen by allowing big gambling interests to assume roles of power within the ranks of professional football?
Courage, my word, it didn't come, it doesn't matter.
Thanks given by:
Indeed Arsenal. I was about to point this out too. The FA are a funny sort. They love the heroin hit of gambling cash, just not if any of the participants make a bet, which has nothing to do with the outcome of the game. It makes me laugh that this is a story. Classic England. Meanwhile, other nations are developing kids, and letting them play at an elite level to win things on the national stage. And the English FA is worried about pies and piles of money. France is going to win a major title in the next two or three tournaments, and the English FA will still be worried about who should play striker, and if John Terry should make a come back. Did any of you see the number of French kids in that Monaco team?

As for the tie, Arsenal did this because it's against the rules for teams to NOT split the gate receipts at these ties. This is the reason these small clubs are excited to get a return leg, or the away game from the outset vs the big ones. It's a great gesture from Arsenal for sure. I wonder if they make that if they lose though?
Thanks given by:
(2017-02-22, 01:06 PM)Gooner Wrote: So, Wayne Shaw - Sutton's backup keeper in this thread, has resigned due to pie gate.  The FA had a bung in their collective asses about his stunt of eating a pie, knowing that there was 8-1 odds on it.  As a result of his admission, the screws were turned, and Wayne called the next day and resigned which was accepted by Sutton's board.  

Anyways, think it is a very sad end to a great FA Cup story.  Not entirely sure, but sounded like Wayne was actually shedding tears with his resignation.    

I don't think there were odds on him not eating a pie. This is very sad though. He is probably a lovely lad who got caught up in the moment and didn't mean to cause harm, make money or consider the ramifications of his actions. Likely did it for a laugh. Unfortunately, he has paid the heaviest, no pun intended, price. I hope he doesn't get mocked, bullied too much. He doesn't seem to be one to worry about body shaming in this modern world. Seems very comfortable in who he is. Lesser Roly Poly Goalies would be visiting sports psychologists by now.
Thanks given by:
Pretty sure the pie company gave him a job. Which is great.
Thanks given by: