Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GSP Terminates Contract With The UFC.
GSP has reported he terminated his contract with the UFC after negotiations for his return fell apart after the UFC was sold.
Thanks given by:
UFC hasn't commented yet. GSP saying he terminated his contract isn't the same as the UFC actually letting him go.

I figured his contract would've run out after being gone for so long. Should be interesting
Thanks given by:
Bellator?
Thanks given by:
I wonder what Aldo is thinking? He wants out too
Thanks given by:
Yep, UFC says GSP is still under contract!
Thanks given by:
This could all be resolved if the UFC would just pony up the money. They could really use the shot in the arm lately.
Thanks given by:
I read a while back that one of the main issues is that GSP has a big sponsorship deal with Under Armor and there is an issue with him wearing Reebok apparel. GSP wanted an exemption from the Reebok deal but Reebok won't budge.
Thanks given by:
yeah, I believe that the whole Reebox/Under Armour has been a major hang up given Georges' existing (or rather "non-existing"??) contract came into force prior to the Reebok deal (which by the way seems like a complete rip off for the fighters).

A little tidbit as to why GSP's camp believes that the contract is void - supposedly there is some clause in there that the UFC needs to offer, in detail (i.e. fighter, dates, formal offer, etc.), a fight within 10 days (in reference to what exactly, I'm not sure, but it appears to be upon request). GSP's camp issued this request with the 10 day time frame, the UFC failed to deliver, so they're citing breach of contract.

Also, GSP's lawyer has a fairly extensive and successful history of legal battles with the NFL and NBA and claims that these UFC contracts are a "form of slavery out of the 1940's" due to how restrictive and controlling they are. Certainly not the first to complain or have issues with them. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Thanks given by:
I hope this doesn't turn into a long drawn out Randy Couture type dispute.  Truth be told, I wish GSP would stay retired!  He currently has the greatest legacy of any fighter.  Retired as champ & avenged his only 2 losses.

On an unrelated note the new UFC ownership is laying off employees left & right.  I read they're gonna reduce staff by 15 - 20 %.   Tom Wright was let go.  They also plan to reduce the # of events they hold.
Thanks given by:
Now Bisping tweeted that he's 'verbally agreed' to fight GSP at UFC 206.

Dana shot that down

Hmmmm.....
Thanks given by:
(2016-10-21, 09:33 AM)Superlube11 Wrote: Also, GSP's lawyer has a fairly extensive and successful history of legal battles with the NFL and NBA and claims that these UFC contracts are a "form of slavery out of the 1940's" due to how restrictive and controlling they are. Certainly not the first to complain or have issues with them. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

None of that is overly surprising. The UFC classifies fighters as "independent contractors" but then makes them abide by all sorts of company restrictions, mandates, etc etc. You don't have to be a contract lawyer to see that those things don't really jive.
Thanks given by:
So the UFC has released a statement saying that George remains under his old contract and that both parties intend to honor that contract.

Rumors had GSP in Las Vegas a day or two after declaring himself a free agent and it appears the two sides have made peace. Rumors are still swirling that GSP will be on the 206 card which is still relatively weak despite a championship fight and the current co-main between Pettis and Holloway.
Thanks given by: