Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game Thread: Montreal @ Toronto
Nah..... Scriptor ain't too bad, don't agree with a lot of stuff he posts but I get a lot of his points.
"I've been obnoxious.....I've been unconscious.......I've been all kinds of things that are hard to spell."

Stephen Bruton
Thanks given by:
Guilty by association.

Protect your borders my good man.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
the problem for me is that I do not hate the Habs..! I watched way too many of their games as a kid because my uncles/cousins were hab fans..i do hate a few of their posters though with their never ending anti-Leaf schtick ..i would have to put Montreal at the top of my list for CDN teams that I like...
Thanks given by:
I never said Marner only played against Barberio and Johnston. And sometimes, they played Barberio with Weber during change-ups for the D pairings. Let's not act like I came inhere to say that your players suck. I see more potential building a team around Matthews than Marner. Act grown up for fun.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-08, 07:52 PM)Scriptor Wrote: I never said Marner only played against Barberio and Johnston. And sometimes, they played Barberio with Weber during change-ups for the D pairings. Let's not act like I came inhere to say that your players suck. I see more potential building a team around Matthews than Marner. Act grown up for fun.
I think it was your Byron and Marner comparison that was righfully questioned. Marner is projected to be in the same level as Patrik Kane. Love Byron but those two shouldn't be mentioned on the same sentence.

Sent from my T03 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by: SNLeafaholic
(2017-01-08, 07:59 PM)bchippie Wrote:
(2017-01-08, 07:52 PM)Scriptor Wrote: I never said Marner only played against Barberio and Johnston. And sometimes, they played Barberio with Weber during change-ups for the D pairings. Let's not act like I came inhere to say that your players suck. I see more potential building a team around Matthews than Marner. Act grown up for fun.
I think it was your Byron and Marner comparison that was righfully questioned. Marner is projected to be in the same level as Patrik Kane. Love Byron but those two shouldn't be mentioned on the same sentence.

Fine but, people don't need to be idiots to disagree. Byron will never accomplish everything (or close to it) that Marner ends up accomplishing but, he brings an element of speed to the Habs like we saw Marner bring against the Habs last night. Every team can use that because it is extremely difficult to defend against.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-08, 08:20 PM)Scriptor Wrote:
(2017-01-08, 07:59 PM)bchippie Wrote:

Fine but, people don't need to be idiots to disagree. Byron will never accomplish everything (or close to it) that Marner ends up accomplishing but, he brings an element of speed to the Habs like we saw Marner bring against the Habs last night. Every team can use that because it is extremely difficult to defend against.
I'm just bullshitting you Scriptor.

Truth to be told, there are so few posters left in either forum that we can't afford to lose anymore.

Yeah, even that guy...

Thanks given by:
(2017-01-08, 06:24 PM)Scriptor Wrote: If I may, you have to keep in mind that Marner exploited a very bad 3rd pairing D for Montreal in Barberio and Johnston. He stood out because his game could take advantage of that. Both Johnston and Barberio would lose a one-on-one battle against their own shadows and they allowed Marner to skate around with impunity.

With a healthy Montreal team, Marner isn't as electrifying as he was last night.

I actually found Matthews much more impressive, overall. His tenacity and ability to strip and keep the puck in one-on-one battles was consistent and frustrating as a Hab fan. He reminded me of Radulov in that aspect of the game, while being a little more solid on his feet in the process.

I'd build a team around Matthews. Not so much around Marner, whom I think is one solid hit away from missing a lot of action because his speed coming into a hit will cause multiple times the damage.

I was worried about Marner being hit due to his size as well. 
However he seems to skate with his head on swivel and helps him to stay in play and avoid big hits.
Often bigger/stronger players get hit solidly as well..  Just check out Laine from the other night.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-08, 08:49 PM)Ancientfan Wrote:
(2017-01-08, 06:24 PM)Scriptor Wrote: If I may, you have to keep in mind that Marner exploited a very bad 3rd pairing D for Montreal in Barberio and Johnston. He stood out because his game could take advantage of that. Both Johnston and Barberio would lose a one-on-one battle against their own shadows and they allowed Marner to skate around with impunity.

With a healthy Montreal team, Marner isn't as electrifying as he was last night.

I actually found Matthews much more impressive, overall. His tenacity and ability to strip and keep the puck in one-on-one battles was consistent and frustrating as a Hab fan. He reminded me of Radulov in that aspect of the game, while being a little more solid on his feet in the process.

I'd build a team around Matthews. Not so much around Marner, whom I think is one solid hit away from missing a lot of action because his speed coming into a hit will cause multiple times the damage.

I was worried about Marner being hit due to his size as well. 
However he seems to skate with his head on swivel and helps him to stay in play and avoid big hits.
Often bigger/stronger players get hit solidly as well..  Just check out Laine from the other night.

Marner seems to skate with his head on a swivel, like Gretzky did for years. However, the league needs to watch itself with the better players being cheap-shot recipients on a nightly basis.

If you're old enough, you'll remember that even Gretzky, after years of avoiding hits, was cross-checked in the back as an LA King and his play suffered from it afterwards. He remained a solid player, just not nearly as dominant as before.

I don't wish it on Marner at all. Just saying he can't afford to let his guard down one fraction of a second, especially not at the speed he is flying at out on the ice. A cross current cheap shot would be crushing.

I sincerely hope that the NHL finds a way to get rid of all these lousy hits by depth players at best.
Thanks given by:
That's actually what Tie Domi said about Marner, whom he watched play with Max for two years in London.

He can't let his guard down in the second half...It's no secret that he's dangerous out there and has a real knack for getting open.

It's inevitable that he gets hit...Just depends how bad.

Thanks given by:
I'm not going to argue with Tie, even at his age (he's still 2 months younger than me) Wink
Thanks given by: