Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goaltending Options
Well it is obvious we need to make a move.
Talbot goes down we are done like dinner.
I would expect the Monster to be sent packing today and put on waivers and for now I do hope they bring up Nick Ellis for a test drive, until they can make a move in the next week ( WHICH THEY NEED TO DO!!!!!!)

Ellis has played less games but has a better sv% than Broissoit, but either is a upgrade ( LOL)  to the Big guy.

So what is out there?

Ondrej Pavalec  UFA 4.75m Contract 7-6-2 With Moose 914 sv% and 2.1 GAA ( Apparently the Peg wants to hold onto him until they see where they are at the deadline or close to it.)  No idea his price?

Jaroslav Halak 1 more year at 4.75ish  Could have had him for nothing, but at least ( And maybe he did) should have inquired about a trade and them eating money? Or trading Poo Poo for him, but that said tough to give a backup more than your Starter. If he would have been a UFA next year I am sure we would have jumped on him and probably a few other swould have.

Reto Berra Florida. UFA is 8-6-2 in the minors this year with a 2.23 GAA and a 920 sv%  He would be cheap I am thinking

Thomas Greiss NYI UFA Actually playing very solid on the Island.  No idea if they would trade him but maybe closer to the deadline.  No idea of cost but with a 9-5-2 record  927 sv% and 2.31 GAA  he is the best goalie on a bad team.

Kari Ramo is another option. He had a  tryout with the Leafs and played in a few games for the Marlies.
I think he is available. He had majorKnee surgery last year, so no idea what shape he is in. In Calgary he was a sufficient backup goalie that had the odd good stretch in him.  He costs us nothing and why the heck would you not bring him in for a Tryout?

That's all I got LOL.
Thanks given by:
Yes, talk to Snow regarding Halak.
Connor McDavid: "I don't know why anyone would be disappointed going to the Edmonton Oilers." 
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-09, 08:57 AM)OilWings Wrote: Yes,  talk to Snow regarding Halak.

They would have to eat half his contract for sure. this and next year, or take Poo Poo off our hands for his 2 more year contract after this.  I am with Pouz that I just do not like the backup making 4.whatever next year, but if they are looking to dump the 8 mill remaining on Poo Poo's contract for the next 2 years after this then you gain as Halak is a UFA after next season if they would do a straight up trade?.
Thanks given by:
Wait, Gustavsson is STILL an Oiler? Why hasn't he been sent to the minors yet? What the **** are they waiting for???

This is the very 1st thing Chiarelli should've done last night. The very 1st thing!
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-09, 09:14 AM)CTS Wrote: Wait, Gustavsson is STILL an Oiler?   Why hasn't he been sent to the minors yet?   What the **** are they waiting for???

This is the very 1st thing Chiarelli should've done last night.  The very 1st thing!

Mackenzie is saying this AM he figures they do not want Broissoit up here as they want him to play as much as he can in the minors.  I am sure PC is working the phones today for sure, but that said I am with you on send him down NOW!  and bring up Ellis right now.
Thanks given by:
It's gonna be hard to make a trade as there's currently only 2 teams who are sellers
Thanks given by:
Reto Bera seems like a fairly good choice - he has had recent success at the NHL level and I'd feel somewhat comfortable coming in to play on back to backs.

Halak is simply not a real option at $4.5M next year. Do people feel we are a backup goalie away from contending for the Cup? If not, we need to improve next year and bringing in a back at the price just doesn't work.

There are other options.
Thanks given by:
Curtis McElhinney
Thanks given by:
He is on waivers.

McElhinney has a heartbeat so he's already better than Gustavsson.
Thanks given by:
Lets not forget the implications of just picking a goalie up and waiving Gus and sending him down - that will put us at 49 pro contracts and that could be a huge detriment if we are looking to make any acquisitions at the deadline.

We all think that PC should just waive Gus, send him to the minors and pick up another goalie but that may not be a great option.

Personally, I wouldn't mind giving Nick Ellis a shot in one of the back to backs coming up.
Thanks given by:
2.39 gaa. .924 save percentage for Curtis McElhinney this year. Doubt he makes it to us at our waiver position.
Thanks given by:
McElhinney would be a solid pick up.

I worry about going to 49 contracts but its likely a risk we have to take at this point.
Thanks given by:
Which teams below us in the standings are in need of a change at back-up tender?
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-09, 11:31 AM)Pouzar Wrote: Lets not forget the implications of just picking a goalie up and waiving Gus and sending him down - that will put us at 49 pro contracts and that could be a huge detriment if we are looking to make any acquisitions at the deadline.

We all think that PC should just waive Gus, send him to the minors and pick up another goalie but that may not be a great option.

Personally, I wouldn't mind giving Nick Ellis a shot in one of the back to backs coming up.

Tell Gus he won't he playing in Bakersfield. Maybe his agent will find a team in Sweden that will take his contract and they can mutually terminate the contract. 

I know it's a dream scenario but hey, I'm allowed to dream too!
Thanks given by:
I think that option would cost Gus alot of money - pretty sure he won't get paid anything close to an annual salary of $800K in Europe.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-09, 12:04 PM)Pouzar Wrote: I think that option would cost Gus alot of money - pretty sure he won't get paid anything close to an annual salary of $800K in Europe.

Probably not. 

However, maybe he wants to play? I highly doubt the organization is going to put Gus ahead of Ellis or Brossoit. He'll be sitting hoping for an injury.
Thanks given by:
I agree, he won't play in the AHL, not very often - in particular if we grab and outside tender (as opposed to calling up NE or LB).
Thanks given by:
I'm starting to worry Chiarelli won't make a move till the trafe deadline. I don't know if my heart can handle watching Gustavsson in net again
Thanks given by:
Spector says Gus has been waived.  Thank God.
Thanks given by: CTS
(2017-01-09, 12:19 PM)Moe Szyslak Wrote: Spector says Gus has been waived.  Thank God.

That's a start.
Thanks given by: