Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good article by Jonathen Willis on X Draft
Its getting very tough to contemplate leaving Maroon unprotected in the expansion draft.

He's almost solidified himself as a must-protect meaning we almost undoubtedly going to go with a 7-3-1 structure.

Yes, some have provided the option of leaving Eberle (or Nuge) unprotected but in reality that just isn't going to happen. Notwithstanding a poor year, the Oilers are not going to allow Jordan Eberle to go for no asset return - cap space is not enough.

Trying to replace a 1RW in free agency would be very expensive.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-06, 12:27 PM)Pouzar Wrote: Its getting very tough to contemplate leaving Maroon unprotected in the expansion draft.

He's almost solidified himself as a must-protect meaning we almost undoubtedly going to go with a 7-3-1 structure.

Yes, some have provided the option of leaving Eberle (or Nuge) unprotected but in reality that just isn't going to happen.  Notwithstanding a poor year, the Oilers are not going to allow Jordan Eberle to go for no asset return - cap space is not enough.

There is not any chance that Maroon is not protected.

RNH
Drai
Maroon
Lucic

I think they try very hard to trade Eberle before the X draft. Whether they do or not ?

If it was me I would protect Maroon over Eberle  at this point.

But if they decide they are going to protect Maroon and an Eberle I think Maroon wins out over Davidson by a lot now.  so they would go 8 skaters
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-06, 12:48 PM)maclintock Wrote:
(2017-01-06, 12:27 PM)Pouzar Wrote: Its getting very tough to contemplate leaving Maroon unprotected in the expansion draft.

Yes, some have provided the option of leaving Eberle (or Nuge) unprotected but in reality that just isn't going to happen.  Notwithstanding a poor year, the Oilers are not going to allow Jordan Eberle to go for no asset return - cap space is not enough.

There is not any chance that Maroon is not protected.

RNH
Drai
Maroon
Lucic

I think they try very hard to trade Eberle before the X draft. Whether they do or not ?

If it was me I would protect Maroon over Eberle  at this point.

But if they decide they are going to protect Maroon and an Eberle I think Maroon wins out over Davidson by a lot now.  so they would go 8 skaters

Why would they go 8 skaters?
Thanks given by:
Leon, Nuge, Eberle, Lucic, Maroon

Sekera, Klef, Larsson

Talbot

Without any trades I think the above is all but set in stone.

Vegas will have their pick of Kassian, Letestu, Davidson, JJ, Pitlick

If Russell is signed, he'll have to be left unprotected as well - I can't fathom them signing Russell if to protect him and exposing Eberle or Maroon as a result.

Is there really any other option than the above?
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-06, 01:12 PM)Pouzar Wrote: Leon, Nuge, Eberle, Lucic, Maroon

Sekera, Klef, Larsson

Talbot

Without any trades I think the above is all but set in stone.

Vegas will have their pick of Kassian, Letestu, Davidson, JJ, Pitlick

If Russell is signed, he'll have to be left unprotected as well - I can't fathom them signing Russell if to protect him and exposing Eberle or Maroon as a result.

Is there really any other option than the above?

With the above, you May as well go 7-3-1 and protect two additional forwards. If not, the team is leaving assets on the table. 

If the Oilers are protecting 8 players, it's because they are protecting 4+ dmen.
Thanks given by:
Sorry, you are right, I don't know why I didn't add two more forwards.

My point was there are 5 must protect forwards so we are definitely going with the 7-3-1 approach and the three D are pretty obvious.
Thanks given by: TheOilerFan83
(2017-01-06, 01:51 PM)Pouzar Wrote: Sorry, you are right, I don't know why I didn't add two more forwards.

My point was there are 5 must protect forwards so we are definitely going with the 7-3-1 approach and the three D are pretty obvious.

I agree. 7-3-1 is the way to go. 

With the way Chia is building the Oilers, I would think he wants to protect guys like Maroon, Pitlick, maybe even Kassian.
Thanks given by:
Even though he was having a very nice start to the year, with his season ending injury, I can't imagine Pitlick being claimed - I think they'd protect Kas over him.
Thanks given by:
Lowetide's current protected lists and I think he's bang on and, to me, its almost a no-brainer now:

Goal: Cam Talbot

Defense: Andrej Sekera, Oscar Klefbom, Adam Larsson

Center: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Leon Draisaitl, Mark Letestu

Left Wing: Milan Lucic, Patrick Maroon

Right Wing: Jordan Eberle, Zack Kassian

Ineligible for Selection: G Nick Ellis, D Darnell Nurse, D Matt Benning, C Connor McDavid, R Jesse Puljujarvi, C Drake Caggiula, R Anton Slepyshev.

Available: D Brandon Davidson, D Griffin Reinhart, R Tyler Pitlick, L Benoit Pouliot, C Jujhar Khaira.
Thanks given by:
The one thing about Pouliot's poor (awful) season - its really taken away some potential tough choices on the protected list.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-07, 01:13 PM)Pouzar Wrote: Lowetide's current protected lists and I think he's bang on and, to me, its almost a no-brainer now:

Goal: Cam Talbot

Defense: Andrej Sekera, Oscar Klefbom, Adam Larsson

Center: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Leon Draisaitl, Mark Letestu

Left Wing: Milan Lucic, Patrick Maroon

Right Wing: Jordan Eberle, Zack Kassian

Ineligible for Selection: G Nick Ellis, D Darnell Nurse, D Matt Benning, C Connor McDavid, R Jesse Puljujarvi, C Drake Caggiula, R Anton Slepyshev.

Available: D Brandon Davidson, D Griffin Reinhart, R Tyler Pitlick, L Benoit Pouliot, C Jujhar Khaira.

That looks right. Still would like to figure out a way to keep Russell. His contributions to our turn around have been significant. Definitely dont want to lose anybody on that list though.
Thanks given by:
Tough to keep Russell if we want to actually improve the defence next season. I'm OK with keeping Russell but, given the above, it would either have to be a sign early and leave him unprotected or wait until after the expansion draft.

How could we protect him? Assuming no other quality d-man is traded, in order to protect Russell, we'd need to protect 4 d-men which means we could only protect 4 forwards. Protecting Russell would leave Maroon and another (Letestu, Kassian) exposed.

I couldn't see Las Vegas passing on Maroon unless they were afraid of him only having one year until UFA status.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-07, 01:13 PM)Pouzar Wrote: The one thing about Pouliot's poor (awful) season - its really taken away some potential tough choices on the protected list.

LOL, yes but from all indications they were not even going to protect him period.
Thanks given by:
Lowetide was talking about how we will likely lose Davidson in the draft. So why not trade him for a forward. Then you can protect the forward & Maroon
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 12:32 PM)CTS Wrote: Lowetide was talking about how we will likely lose Davidson in the draft.  So why not trade him for a forward.  Rhen you can protect the forward & Maroon

Yes, I think Davidson is the guy we are most likely to lose in the expansion draft. Maroon has played so well he has become a must-protect which means we have to go with a 7-3-1 as opposed to a 4-4 (which likely makes sense anyways).

Remember we are going to lose a player anyways so, if we trade Davidson for a forward and protect that forward, then we lose Davidson (in the trade) plus another guy - likely someone off our forward list that would be left unprotected - Kassian or Letestu most likely at this point.
Thanks given by:
Davidson is probably a best case scenario loss.

The left side is pretty much set with Sekera, Klefbom, Nurse, plus the plethora of left shot d-men the Oilers have in the system. Davidson will not likely be able to surpass the three NHL guys, and he is oft injured.

Losing a player in a position the Oilers are deepest in (and a player who has struggled with injury his entire career) is a loss the team will be able to compensate for internally with relative ease.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-08, 11:07 AM)maclintock Wrote:
(2017-01-07, 01:13 PM)Pouzar Wrote: The one thing about Pouliot's poor (awful) season - its really taken away some potential tough choices on the protected list.

LOL, yes but from all indications they were not even going to protect him period.

I think that Pouliot's contract and performance protect him from the expansion draft.
Thanks given by: