Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Halfway Report Card
The 2nd quarter was a lot better than the 1st quarter, so where does everyone stand now??

Forwards
Michael Frolik   A-     poit production dropped off, but he still does everything
Johnny Gaudreau  B   has been a lot better since returning from injury, still tries to do too much sometimes
Matthew Tkachuk  A+   leads the team in assists & penalties, just fun to watch
Michael Backlund   A   has taken the team lead in scoring, looks more confident than ever
Sam Bennett   C+  needs to start producing points again
Sean Monahan C+   had a hot streak, still a little disappointing overall
Troy Brouwer  B-  slowed down a little, but the team is missing him now
Michael Ferland   C+   drives possession, but needs to produce a little more
Matt Stajan  B-    playing well
Alex Chaisson C+   works hard, but not meant to be a top line winger
Kris Versteeg  A-  has been a HUGH part of the PP resurgence
Garnet Hathaway  B+   brings a ton of hustle & enthusiasm
Lance Bouma  B-   has been pretty good since returning from injury
Freddie Hamilton  C+  limited playing time
Mark Jankowski   B-  just one game

Defense
Dougie Hamilton  B+   big improvement since he as partnered with Giordano
Mark Giordano   A-   seems to have figured out Gully's system now
Dennis Wideman  C  still makes some plays, but frustrating to watch
Deryk Engelland  B+   keeps doing what he does
Jyrki Jokkipakka   C+   can't quite win the coach's confidence
TJ Brodie    C+   starting to find his game, needs to shoot more
Tyler Wotherspoon   C+  limited action, some ups & downs, signs of improvement from last year

Goaltending
Chad Johnson   A   hot streak helped the whole team get back on track
Brian Elliott  B-  starting to find his form, but still some ugly nights

Coaching
Glen Gulutzan   B+   the process is beginning to work
Dave Cameron   A-    HUGH change in the PP's success over the last 6 weeks
Paul Jerrard   B-   Definitely improved since the early part of the season
Martin Gelinas    ??   I am not clear on his role this year
Jordan Sigalet    B+   Still needs to get more out of Elliott
Jamie Pringle    ??   Hard to evaluate his effectiveness as video coach
"What's the first thing a lion does after he wakes up?" Badger Bob Johnson
"He licks his balls" Kent Nilsson
Thanks given by:
Can't say I disagree KN. I am very disappointed in Benny and Monahan. Benny is struggling at C and I suppose its all part of growing pains. We can't really play him at LW because we have a log jam at LW. We have a log jam at C as well. We need a top 6 RW that can skate and score. Neither Brouwer or Chaisson can fill that role. Versteeg maybe, but he is smallish.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S. Thompson
Thanks given by:
[Image: h823CD1BB]
I problee shud wait until after tonight's game to comment, cuz right now all I see is D-'s  Angry

But your analysis is pretty much bang on, KN.

I will disagree with -
Chiasson - B   not his fault he is put on a top line. Gives all he's got. Sticks his nose in. 
Elliott - C-  he has been in his own head since game 1. Awkward, out of position, tries to do too much. Not a #1
Giordano - C  Seems to spend at least part of every game running around and making bad plays. Flashes of his old self but much lacking.
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it. Orwell
Thanks given by: Suity
(2017-01-07, 11:42 AM)Nanuuk Wrote: Can't say I disagree KN. I am very disappointed in Benny and Monahan. Benny is struggling at C and I suppose its all part of growing pains. We can't really play him at LW because we have a log jam at LW. We have a log jam at C as well. We need a top 6 RW that can skate and score. Neither Brouwer or Chaisson can fill that role. Versteeg maybe, but he is smallish.

I would say that Bennett is in that place that Backlund was in while Keenan & Brent were coaching the team.  the lightbulb is flickering off and on.  Hopefully it does not take as long for him to figure out how to keep the switch in the on position. It is only his 2nd full season...,

Brouwer & Versteeg are both 2nd line players IMO.  Chaisson appears to be a 3rd line guy...,

I'm not sure what is going on with Monahan.  It is his 1st full season without the jovial, positive influence of Hudler  Perhaps the on-ice chemistry there was more important than any of us realized...,
Thanks given by: Nanuuk
(2017-01-07, 11:51 AM)FlameFilosi4 Wrote: [Image: h823CD1BB]
I problee shud wait until after tonight's game to comment, cuz right now all I see is D-'s  Angry

But your analysis is pretty much bang on, KN.

I will disagree with -
Chiasson - B   not his fault he is put on a top line. Gives all he's got. Sticks his nose in. 
Elliott - C-  he has been in his own head since game 1. Awkward, out of position, tries to do too much. Not a #1
Giordano - C  Seems to spend at least part of every game running around and making bad plays. Flashes of his old self but much lacking.

I could not go that high with Chaisson.  Whether or not he should be, he has been used as a top 6 forward & on the PP.  He should at least be outscoring Stajan.

I wrestled with finding a grade for Gio and felt I was being a little generous.  Might still have been amused by his comments about Iginla.
Thanks given by: Nanuuk , FlameFilosi4 , FlameFilosi4
Gio had solidified Dougie's play and while he has an off game now and again and isn't scoring like he has in year's past, he is still the top guy we have. His play this year has lacked some consistency, but for the most part he answers the bell.

Brodie is going to be trade-bait I'm afraid. I know he has personal issues and maybe he should be paired with Gio or maybe even playing the RD where he is more comfortable, but we need a first line RW. And I can't think of any way of getting one except by offering some quality in return. That would be a pit too, because you know we'll be losing 2 RD either before the play-offs or in the off season (Wideman, Engelland) and we don't really have an RD in the pipe to grab a spot next year. Brodes could fill that role.
Thanks given by:
I would be ok with signing Engelland to an extension.., but Wideman has to go.  And has to go a lot quicker than he rushes back to position after he gets lost drifting around the offensive zone.

It was sort of brought up as a curiousity when the flames played Colorado, but it sounds like the Iginla returning to Calgary is a rumour that will be picking up steam now.
Thanks given by:
We won't be able to protect the Gent in the expansion draft.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-07, 02:59 PM)Nanuuk Wrote: We won't be able to protect the Gent in the expansion draft.

You are suggesting Brodie gets traded and I believe they can protect 3 defenders. 

So that would be Giordano, Hamilton and ??
Wideman will be gone
Jokipakka and Wotherspoon seem unlikely to need protection at this point.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-07, 02:41 PM)Nanuuk Wrote: Gio had solidified Dougie's play and while he has an off game now and again and isn't scoring like he has in year's past, he is still the top guy we have. His play this year has lacked some consistency, but for the most part he answers the bell.

Brodie is going to be trade-bait I'm afraid. I know he has personal issues and maybe he should be paired with Gio or maybe even playing the RD where he is more comfortable, but we need a first line RW. And I can't think of any way of getting one except by offering some quality in return. That would be a pit too, because you know we'll be losing 2 RD either before the play-offs or in the off season (Wideman, Engelland) and we don't really have an RD in the pipe to grab a spot next year. Brodes could fill that role.

That's the 2nd time in a week you've suggested Brodie could be traded, Old Bear.

I get that the Flames would like a wizbang RW that heals all of Johnny and Monny's problems, but you leave a GIANT hole on your D with no one in the Organization Right, Left or Gripping Handed that can skate like he does, play 25-30 minutes with ease at a verrrrry reasonable contract.

Brodie playing poorly is still better than anything we have to replace him with or could acquire. That's like Boston trading Dougie - now all they need is a big Right D who can skate.

Nobody is trading anything of value right now, and the Flames don't need to rush into grabbing more assets. They have to work with what they have. The time for the"big" trade that puts us over the top is down the road, not now.
IMHO.
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it. Orwell
Thanks given by: KNilsson14 , Ramtuf
(2017-01-07, 02:59 PM)Nanuuk Wrote: We won't be able to protect the Gent in the expansion draft.

There is no way the Flames would try to sign him before the EXP draft. He will be a UFA and doesnt need protection.

I do expect Vegas to make him an offer and he should take it.

I really like the guy too but it is time to move on from that guy and that contract.
Thanks given by:
I am suggesting that the Flames could trade a Brodie in their desire for a top line RW. The Flames also face a deficit with toughness on the blue line and they admitted as much at the start of the season when they signed Grossman. I wouldn't be surprised if they kept Brodes and I sure as heck haven't given up on him. I'm just trying to figure out how to get a top line RW and tougher on the back end. Spooner certainly isn't ready for prime time. Kully is in my opinion. But apart from the Gent we don't seem to show much grit back there. Gio occasionally.
Thanks given by:
And I will add that for the guy who keeps updating the Farm Club Thread & showing excitement for how the kids are performing, you seem to be discounting Rasmus Andersson.

He has 17 points in 30 games and is a large right-hand shooting d-man. 

I have only caught a couple of glimpses of him in the last 2 training camps, but from what I saw, he has the natural hockey IQ and some toughness.  I don't know how close he is to being NHL-ready, but I do believe has a chance to grow into a solid NHL defenseman.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-07, 03:07 PM)FlameFilosi4 Wrote:
(2017-01-07, 02:41 PM)Nanuuk Wrote: Gio had solidified Dougie's play and while he has an off game now and again and isn't scoring like he has in year's past, he is still the top guy we have. His play this year has lacked some consistency, but for the most part he answers the bell.

That's the 2nd time in a week you've suggested Brodie could be traded, Old Bear.

I get that the Flames would like a wizbang RW that heals all of Johnny and Monny's problems, but you leave a GIANT hole on your D with no one in the Organization Right, Left or Gripping Handed that can skate like he does, play 25-30 minutes with ease at a verrrrry reasonable contract.

Brodie playing poorly is still better than anything we have to replace him with or could acquire. That's like Boston trading Dougie - now all they need is a big Right D who can skate.

Nobody is trading anything of value right now, and the Flames don't need to rush into grabbing more assets. They have to work with what they have. The time for the"big" trade that puts us over the top is down the road, not now.
IMHO.

I don't recall the first. And I said, "I'm afraid he might be trade-bait". I don't want him to go anywhere. I think we all agree we need another top 6 winger. Unless we can dupe a club into taking a Wideman and another roster player, e.g. LW, we're just going to have to grin and BEAR our current state of affairs! Silly

I think that after last night it is clear that we are short a couple of cards to have a winning hand. So we either stand pat or look to make a change.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-07, 03:17 PM)KNilsson14 Wrote: And I will add that for the guy who keeps updating the Farm Club Thread & showing excitement for how the kids are performing, you seem to be discounting Rasmus Andersson.

He has 17 points in 30 games and is a large right-hand shooting d-man. 

I have only caught a couple of glimpses of him in the last 2 training camps, but from what I saw, he has the natural hockey IQ and some toughness.  I don't know how close he is to being NHL-ready, but I do believe has a chance to grow into a solid NHL defenseman.

No I am not discounting him. I haven't seen him play, but it is his first year as a pro. Maybe if we jettison Wideman, he can get a call-up.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-07, 03:10 PM)Nanuuk Wrote: I am suggesting that the Flames could trade a Brodie in their desire for a top line RW. The Flames also face a deficit with toughness on the blue line and they admitted as much at the start of the season when they signed Grossman. I wouldn't be surprised if they kept Brodes and I sure as heck haven't given up on him. I'm just trying to figure out how to get a top line RW and tougher on the back end. Spooner certainly isn't ready for prime time. Kully is in my opinion. But apart from the Gent we don't seem to show much grit back there. Gio occasionally.
Trading a top 2 Dman for a first line RW is bad economics, as I have tried to explain.

Grossman was signed as filler as that was all they could get for $525,000. Toughness be damned he couldn't skate. They are not that blind they couldn't see that.

What has Eggo's"toughness" brought us?
Is anybody afraid to -
slash Johnny?
Stand in front of our net?
Take runs at our players?

Toughness and grit, yadda yadda. That's not what they are developing in Stockton. Kylington and Rasmus are the best puck carriers and they are at least a couple of years away from making the big time.

Keep calling for Big Ern to come back and make everybody tough. That'll fix it.
/bitter sarcasm
Thanks given by:
I am just responding to your comment that we have nothing in the pipes to replace Wideman & Engelland.

I would be happy to see the right side next year look like this:

Hamilton
Brodie
Andersson
Thanks given by:
FF, I said that the Flames felt they had a toughness deficit on the back end. I don't believe they've changed their minds on that. Toughness doesn't mean pounding the beezeezus out of someone. It does mean clearing the front of the net and being good in the corners. Our guys are smallish and take a big pounding on the forecheck from larger players which is one reason why I think we struggle against larger teams.
Thanks given by: KNilsson14
I agree with that.  Giordano & Brodie battle hard in the corners, but will lose out to someone like Getzlaf just based on size.  Hamilton is a big boy, but does not play an overly physical game.  Wideman tries to get in there some nights and other nights you see hi shying away from the larger fore-checkers.  Kevin has shown an increased willingness to play the physical game, but again he is often out-muscled.

Kulak & Wotherspoon have both seen limited action and are still finding their way.

That leaves Engelland as the only true gritty defender.  Sometimes his toughness is eliminated by his footspeed.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-07, 03:39 PM)Nanuuk Wrote: FF, I said that the Flames felt they had a toughness deficit on the back end. I don't believe they've changed their minds on that. Toughness doesn't mean pounding the beezeezus out of someone. It does mean clearing the front of the net and being good in the corners. Our guys are smallish and take a big pounding on the forecheck from larger players which is one reason why I think we struggle against larger teams.
I getcha man, and I can't argue with that. Our smaller guys get pushed around. Our defencemen are not physical, other than Eggo.

I would like them to make the team better now so we make the playoffs, but the loooooooooong view that tough guys Tre (former goon) and Burke(former goon) are building is the way the game is going, I believe. And that is in the style of Pittsburgh and Chicago, one of finesse and speed as opposed to the Broadstreet Bullies.

And I point to the drafting of Shill and Rasmus as examples of where they think the game is heading. I think they will try and get a good 3/4 D man when they are done with Wides/Eggo's contracts. It would be great if he is a big physical guy.

But he will have to be able to skate well and handle the puck like a forward. Kind of like a big, tough Brodie  Mischief
Thanks given by: