Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Halfway Report Card
I think Andersson might fit that mold.  Didn't he surprise us all by getting involved in a dust-up in his 1st training camp??
"What's the first thing a lion does after he wakes up?" Badger Bob Johnson
"He licks his balls" Kent Nilsson
Thanks given by:
RD Gio 6'0" 198 lbs
LD Brodie 6'1" 182 lbs
RD Wideman 6'0" 202 lbs
RD Hamilton 6'5" 230 lbs
RD Engelland 6'2" 214 lbs
LD Jokipakka 6'3" 215 lbs
LD Wotherspoon 6'2" 207 lbs
LD Smid 6'4" 210 lbs

Of the above group, we'll be losing Smid, Engelland, and Wideman I'm guessing. Spooner needs more seasoning. I think he's got the toughness part. Whether he gets the seasoning by playing more in Calgary is the question. Wideman will be traded as I can't see the Flames re-signing him and protecting him. Smid? I like Laddy, but for his sake and his families he needs to retire. Jokipakka can be a better player and is still learning. Good size and skating. Dougie? Lacks consistency, but is getting better all the time. Needs to learn how to body check. Gio? Our leader. He's not going anywhere. Brodie? The JC Tremblay of his time. I like him, but he's having an off year. So of this group 4 may be gone (Smid, Wideman, Engelland, Spooner (minors)).

LD Kulak 6'2" 190 lbs
LD Culkin 6'2" 200 lbs
LD Kylington 6'1" 185 lbs
RD Morrison 6'2" 210 lbs
RD Kanzig 6'7" 245 lbs
RD Andersson 6'1" 214 lbs
LD Aulie 6'6" 230 lbs
RD Doetzel 6'3 205 lbs

Of this group we've seen the most of Kulak. I think he's NHL ready, but needs to put on 20 pounds. Spooner is up and we've pondered why. I wonder if its because he's 17 pounds heavier than Kully. Culklin? Not sure where he is in his development. He won high praise from Patty Roy. Kylinton didn't look that bad at the World Juniors, but he did look small. Skating is his weapon. Morrison? I haven't seen him play much and can't recollect impressions from training camp. Decent size. Kanzig? King Kong earned a recall from the ECHL, but is basically a first year pro. Whether he pans out at all remains to be seen. As KN pointed out Andersson could be a starting RD for us at some point. Not tall, but wide like a brick shit house and carries some weight. Sarge the second? Aulie? Been traded to and fro and is back. Not sure if he'll ever make the bigs. Doetzel? Comes from Rosetown, Sk. (I like him already!) and used to belong to the Oilers (boo!), but is 21 and tough.

Interesting enough one of his current team mates is Hunter Smith.

Anyway the point in all this is either we're happy with our current D and do not want to make any changes that might improve us on D or at F or we contemplate something that would make us better. I know bold deals are few and far between these days, but even if we wanted to trade one of our 7 draft picks for 2017, we have no cap room without ditching an expensive roster player or two.
Life, Liberty, and the Happiness of Pursuit.
Thanks given by:
I am not sure the Chicago & Pittsburgh analogies are 100% accurate

Keith & Seabrook are skill-first players, but have always been capable of making the physical plays too.  Keith in particular, has rarely shied away from making the dirty plays (just ask the Tinfoil Brigade!!).

Last year, Letang made some pretty big hits against the Capitals in their play-off series.  They also have Ian Cole who is there for his size.

And even the Red Wings, when they were the dominant team.., had Kronwall putting the fear into opposing forwards.
Thanks given by:
Both Shill and Rasmus are the same age (19?). Shill was the one invited to the World Juniors by the Swedes. He looked good, but not ready for prime time.

The guy Burkie talked about was draft choice Adam Fox who scored 3 assists for the US in the gold medal game. He says all the other teams are mentioning him in their "inquiries".

The Flames really haven't made room for their young guys to come up and learn in the bigs. That's the next step I think.
Get these young guys up and play them regular, and live with their stickhandling with a live grenade stuff Cool
Dance like no one's watching. Email like it will be read aloud in court. 
Thanks given by:
I would rather see a kid juggle a live grenade than watch Wideman cause a dead grenade to inexplicably explode!!
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-07, 04:24 PM)KNilsson14 Wrote: I am not sure the Chicago & Pittsburgh analogies are 100% accurate

Keith & Seabrook are skill-first players, but have always been capable of making the physical plays too.  Keith in particular, has rarely shied away from making the dirty plays (just ask the Tinfoil Brigade!!).

Last year, Letang made some pretty big hits against the Capitals in their play-off series.  They also have Ian Cole who is there for his size.

And even the Red Wings, when they were the dominant team.., had Kronwall putting the fear into opposing forwards.
Yes, and Dougie sometimes blows guys up. And Wideman throws a mean hipcheck......once every 20 games or so.
And Gio has always been physical.

My analogies and logic are sound.

[Image: 2577483239287524d0575e9bba2cb44a.jpg]
Thanks given by: KNilsson14 , KNilsson14
(2017-01-07, 04:30 PM)KNilsson14 Wrote: I would rather see a kid juggle a live grenade than watch Wideman cause a dead grenade to inexplicably explode!!

Wotherspoon's first period -
[Image: giphy.gif]
Thanks given by: Nanuuk , Ramtuf , KNilsson14
Our forwards.

Backlund 6'1" 199 lbs
Bennett 6'1" 186 lbs
Bouma 6'2" 208 lbs
Brouwer 6'3" 215 lbs
Chisasson 6'4" 208 lbs
Ferland 6'2" 208 lbs
Frolik 6'1" 194 lbs
Gaudreau 5'9" 157 lbs
F Hamilton 6'1" 195 lbs
Hathaway 6'2" 208 lbs
Monahan 6'3" 195 lbs
Stajan 6'1" 195 lbs
Tkachuk 6'2" 202 lbs
Versteeg 5'10" 176 lbs

Now, I ask you. When you think of (or perceive) the Flames do you see Backlund, Bennett, Frolik, F Hamilton, Stajan Gaudreau, and Versteeg as big players? In my mind if you're 6' you're big! But these guys aren't.

You can see why the club went out and got Brouwer and Chiasson and why a Hathaway has managed to crack the line-up this year. And you can see why a guy like Chucky is enjoying success (I shudder to think what he'll be like at 215-220 lbs). And I would argue when Benny also puts on 15-20 lbs he'll be extremely tough to handle. Ditto Monahan. Put 10-20 more pounds on his frame and he'll be tougher to move like a Big Joe.

You look at Backs and scratch you head. He's 6'1"? Compared to most players he's up against he's small! Or it seems that way. Same for Frodo. They're both like Small Paulie on steroids. Speaking of small, Cammalleri makes Gaudreau look like a midget. Johnny needs a few more pounds as well if only to make it harder to get knocked off of the puck.
Thanks given by: Ramtuf , KNilsson14
Backlund & Frolik may not be the largest, but they have the smarts and tenacity.  Most of the time, they move in at the best angle and/or find the best position to make the play.

Without looking at the numbers, I would have guessed that Freddie was larger.

Bennett is feisty and I would say he plays bigger than he is.  It would be really great to see some chemistry develop with him playing in-between Ferland & Brouwer.  With those two providing the physical presence, Sam could focus a little more on his skills.
Thanks given by: Nanuuk
My biggest surprise - versteeg , I was not happy we signed another " vet " but I flat out like the guy .
  My biggest disappointment - Monny , I know he is young but no excuse for him playing with his head up his ass ALL SEASON LONG !!
  Best player - took him long enough but Backs finally looks like a first rounder . His best season by a mile !!
   Most impressed with - that Chucky kid . You just don't see a teenager come into this league and play the kind of minutes he does . He takes some penalties but he draws as many as he takes . He has already acceded my expectations , now I just want to fast forward about three years with him .  SN devil
      One final observation - Elliott IS NOT A NUMBER ONE GOALIE ! If I am GM I am still looking at other options this summer .
Thanks given by: KNilsson14 , FlameFilosi4 , Nanuuk
Hopeing Elliott proves you wrong. I think he is a #1 goalie.
Thanks given by: Nanuuk
I am hoping that Ramtuf is right about Elliott, but I totally understand your view on the matter.

I also glad that Gillies is having a good year down in Stockton.
Thanks given by: Suity
(2017-01-07, 07:42 PM)Ramtuf Wrote: Hopeing Elliott proves you wrong. I think he is a #1 goalie.

Elliott is a #1 goalie at times, but his game goes south.

I watched him carry the load for St Louis through the playoffs last year, and wondered why they kept favoring Allen.
He was great. Until he wasnt.

And hey all great goalies have bad games. But he has bad stretches. Long stretches where his game goes south. That has been the knock on him in the past, and now I see why.

I was sure he was gonna be our #1 and would be signed. Now I prefer Johnson's game much more, and think they should go with one of Stockton's guys instead next season.
Thanks given by: Suity
(2017-01-07, 07:42 PM)Ramtuf Wrote: Hopeing Elliott proves you wrong. I think he is a #1 goalie.

The one I watched in the playoffs in St. Louis sure was but this one ? Personally I don't think he can handle the pressure of being the guy . 
     Even in his wins lately I seen enough issues to not believe in him . In my opinion he won because of the competition .
Thanks given by: FlameFilosi4
The big difference for Elliott was that he was playing on a team coached by Hitch. Lots of disciplined play in front of him. St. Louis had better players too. Now, not so much. I still think Elliott can be a number 1 or 1A. I have no issues if both goalies play 40 assuming they are up for the job.
Thanks given by: Ramtuf
Eric the F's take on things.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mid-s...-flames-2/
Thanks given by: