Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Therrien is smart...
He uses the two recent call-ups the right way (  or my way, any way you slice it Wink  ). I don't really think that Galchenyuk will play against TOR, although I believe that Markov could be back in the lineup to help solidify the back end (REMOVE JOHNSTON FROM THE LINEUP, PLEASE!).

Here would be my lines, with the more experienced Andrighetto stepping in for Gallagher on the RW:

Pacioretty - Danault - Radulov
Lehkonen - Mitchell - Andrighetto
Carr - McCaron - Scherbak
Farnham - Plekanec - Flynn

That would leave us with a decent 1st line, IMO, especially the way Danault has stepped up of late.

The 2nd line and the 3rd line could play similar even strength minutes, depending on how sound a defensive game the McCaron line plays.

Carr-McCaron-Scherbak would be a young gun line that takes pressure off the three kids.

Lehkonen and Andrighetto could benefit from the calming, veteran presence of Mitchell.

Farnham - Plekanec - Flynn, or the P-F-F line would just help kill time without letting any goals in Happy
Thanks given by:
On D,

Emelin - Weber
Beaulieu - Petry
Markov - Barberio/Redmond

Take advantage of the excuse that Markov is coming off a touchy injury to have him accept, short term, that he play a 3rd pairing role plus PP minutes, to give Beaulieu a chance to eat up more than 10 minutes a night on a 3rd pairing.
Thanks given by:
I have seen almost all leaf games living in TO, plus one live in Flda last week. Tor are fast and they are always skating around in O zone to get open. It is very tiresome to cover them because they r always moving, skating themselves into excelent scoring positions...and with the talent they r getting off the passes and they r scoring.

Now we know we r a D first team. And we have the speed to match theirs. This is the type of team where u have to play fast and alwaya have ur man. U give them the space, they will score. So whatever lines u draw up has to have a good mix of D type frwds...or frwds dedicated to playing hard that way. I guess really its modtly the top 2 lines ( as wirh most teams) that u have to match up properly.

We know Patches/Dan can do that well
We know Mitch, Flynn, Pleks, Lehk can too

But the kids, i cant see MB trusting them vrs Tor top 2 lines. Altho Babs will of course do his best to have his top guys out when our kids are on the ice. So i think MB would be smart to mix the kids in with the vets, instead of a 4th line of ahlers. With another 2 guys down, this would be a great opening for Mb to do it.

We will know soon enough.

Another thing I saw in the leaf game live, is how they "stretch" out the ice with their top 2 lines. Ths reason why Marner and co seem to get a lot of breakaways is becauze they set up as "cherry pickers" as most of us would refer to. One frwd stay up in neutral ice often when play is still in their zone. So u either have to cover them (and lose ur Dman at the point on blue line) or u let them be and hope a pass doesnt get to them.
Thanks given by:
Would MT go with Barbs on the right? Ask as i'm not sure how much he has played there. Could just keep Mr Corsi playing on the right in his natural position and pair him with Markov. (smiley face here)

I am quite interested to see what MB does up front with the lines. Gal can throw another wrench into this.
Thanks given by:
Barberio can play RD. He did last season. I'm not sure, at this point, though, it would be better than playing Redmond. In either case, both would benefit from playing with Markov, if Markov was their partner.

If Beaulieu is the partner, I'd go with Redmond. My only problem with Barberio -- and more so with Johnston -- is that they aren't physical n the least and lose tons of battles for the puck in their own zone. I don't think the chaos caused would help place Beaulieu in a most positive light on such a pairing.

As to Haba's comment about mixing and matching vets and youngsters, with a D-first mentality, I think you get a premium two-way 1st line in Pacioretty - Danault - Radulov thatch match any line from TO and log plenty of TOI.

Lehkonen-Mitchell-(Andrighetto), for the most part, has solid defensive awareness. Parentheses explain why I say, for the most part.

Farnham-Plekanec-Flynn can be a shutdown line, IMO, with D-first DNA throughout.

The kid line will be fine, IMO, although you are right that Therrien doesn't get the last line change in this game against TO at TO. However, changes happen on the fly and both McCarron and Carr have been solid defensively and on the forecheck of late with all the injuries in Montreal.

It's true that Scherbak may not have the reputation as the best defensive forward yet, but going into this game on your heals in a mindset that Toronto is a powerhouse team will not get you a win, IMHO.

As good as Price can be, you need to pot a few goals to win a game, not just play not to give up a goal.

That TO plays with a loafer waiting for a long bomb does expose your D a little more, especially if you have Markov and Emelin that aren't excessively quick on the backend and weber who is more about positioning than top end speed as well.

That's an important factor and could lead me to change my D accordingly, to spread out speed on every pairing:

Beaulieu - Weber
Markov - Petry
Emelin - Barberio
Thanks given by:
Like those D combos with maybe sitting Barbs for some shifts and double shifting Petry and Weber.
Thanks given by:
Not a bad way of insulating us against Barberio being overexposed. Of the 6, we know that Weber, Petry and Beaulieu can eat up tons of minutes and Emelin has done so by default alongside Weber. Avoiding to overuse both Markov and Barberio will be key to them not getting caught flat-footed as often as they would/could.
Thanks given by:
I like ur D idea. But mb will never move Em from top pair to 3rd. Too bad. The thing with the "loafer" is they will set up on the "slower" D side for sure if smart. On tv u dont see it, but anythime u see a leaf on a partial breakaway, u now know how he does it lol
Thanks given by:
Well Therrien has confirmed that Sherbak will play tomorrow. No word on the lines
Thanks given by:
4th line, under 3 minutes Wink
Thanks given by:
Practice today

Pacioretty-Danault-Radulov
Lehkonen-Plekanec-Andrig.
Carr-Mitchell-Flynn
Farnham-McCarron-Scherbak
Terry
Thanks given by:
I actually wasn't far off if you switch Carr and Farnham, as well as Mitchell and Plekanec. Happy

I like the idea of pairing Scherbak and McCaron. I'd still slide Carr in there but, Farnham is likely a safety to cover Scherbak's defensive weakness.
Thanks given by:
Well if the Leafs ever had a chance of finally beating us then you have to figure it would be tomorrow.

Hopefully Sherbak has a good game, but can't imagine we will see much of him out there. He just needs to play short shifts, be defensively responsible and not try to do too much out there. I'm sure there will be some nerves
Thanks given by:
Scherbak's taken alot of hits so far in the AHL. Not a bad idea to put him on a line with Farnhmam and McCarron to start the game just in case Martin or deuchebag Kadri try something.
Thanks given by:
Lehkonen-Mitchell-Sherbak
Carr-Plekanec-Andrighetto
Farnham-McCarron-Flynn
Terry

That's how I'd toss them out there...
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-06, 03:04 PM)habling Wrote: Pacioretty-Danault-Radulov
Lehkonen-Mitchell-Sherbak
Carr-Plekanec-Andrighetto
Farnham-McCarron-Flynn
Terry

That's how I'd toss them out there...

Lehkonen-Mitchell-Andrighetto
Farnham-Plekanec-Flynn 
Carr-McCarron-Scherbak
Terry

For me, as I said elsewhere. If Plekanec was reliable offensively (not a C sure to freeze/eliminate the offensive game of his linemates), I'd play him with Lehkonen and Andrighetto and stick Mitchell between Farnham and Flynn...

I like a kid line of Carr-Macaron-Scherbak as a fourth line, to start (match-ups and TOI) and as a 3rd line if they show they are on top of things...
Thanks given by:
Geez... Gallagher is out for 8 weeks minimum?
Kid is having a helluva year...

That poor left hand of his...Ouch

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Lehkonen-McCarron - Scherbak
Carr - Plex - Ghetto
Farnham-Mitchell-Flynn

Not going to happen but prefer these lines from 2 to 4.

Would love for a youngster to setup against the Leafs.
Thanks given by:
There's so much Therrien could actually try. The only weakness with Lehkonen - McCarron - Scherbak I see is that both Scherbak and Lehkonen need someone to feed them the puck and I'm not sure McCarron is the ultimate playmaking C. I think one of those Ws, ideally, needs to be more of a playmaking W.
Thanks given by:
I'd have liked to see a line of Hudon - McCarron - Scherbak, for example...
Thanks given by: