Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Therrien is smart...
So it was the players fault...and MB who constructed the roster lol

I get what you are saying

But when I see the argument you make, which many do, they are basically blaming the players (which MB did too) while still saying "last year's failures shouldn't be blamed on MT SOLELY". But in your argument you are solely blaming the players.

I am not saying you are incorrect. Very possible that it is the players fault.....and all the stuff you listed. It was a combo of things that lead to last season. But for me, if he really is a good coach...he should have done somewhat better. HE was unable to lead this team as the coach, to lead them to not fall off the cliff. That's not a sign of a good coach.

Anyways, not gonna keep going on and on. I do applaud him for how he is leading this team with all the injuries this year. And maybe it is as simple as 3 new players bringing in new leadership PLUS Price not being injured. But if no coach could do better last year, then any coach can do as well this year I guess. It really is up to the players, the roster and the GM who builds it. Maybe that is the fact.
Thanks given by:
Last thing. I'm not saying that MT doesn't deserve any blame at all. IT's ultimately, his to find the way to make the players fall into rank. It might've been easy to sit Subban out for many consecutive games and rally more players to his cause but, I think that would've likely gotten him fired, in the end, rather than rectified the situation.

He also perhaps learned from failed approches last year when injuries plagued the team.

I'm not in love with Therrien, believe me (I can't stand to look at him for more than a second or two at a time) but he doesn't get enough credit for the ensemble of his work so far since his return in Montreal. One bad year, plagued by injuries (major ones) is a convenient way to reinforce bases (not singling you out as guilty of this) that existed even while things were going well.
Thanks given by:
Of course everybody has to share the blame. Having said that, there was a clear void in leadership and MB has addressed this. Our biggest problem last year (second to Price being injured) was that we had a divided dressing room and no one is going to convince me otherwise.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-09, 01:13 PM)bchippie Wrote: Of course everybody has to share the blame. Having said that, there was a clear void in leadership and MB has addressed this. Our biggest problem last year (second to Price being injured) was that we had a divided dressing room and no one is going to convince me otherwise.

I agree.
I'm not blaming PK solely for last year's failures, but as talented a player he is, he has his weaknesses, especially when it comes to playing within the TEAM system.
I remember when he was traded he mentioned that he was going to Nashville to help them win the Cup, well so far how has that worked out?
I realize that he is injured, but the team was struggling before his injury and there were reports that some players were having difficulty adjusting to him.
My point is that players either have to learn to adjust to the team's system, while the coach tries to get the most out of his abilities, or the player has to move on.
Crosby is a perfect example of a great leader and not just because of his talent, but he plays within the team system.
MB can make all the trades he wants for talented players, but if these players don't have character and can't work within the system, then there is no reason to make these trades.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-09, 01:13 PM)bchippie Wrote: Of course everybody has to share the blame. Having said that, there was a clear void in leadership and MB has addressed this. Our biggest problem last year (second to Price being injured) was that we had a divided dressing room and no one is going to convince me otherwise.

Well I read a quote from MT today saying at midway point biggest difference is ....him....lol no he didn't say that. He said biggest diff from last year is the leadership and that the call ups are coming into a diff atmosphere. Room has been great all season.
Thanks given by:
I think the case of Tampa shows the difference between an injury to your best forward and an injury to your number 1 goaltender. When Stamkos went down, the Lightning continued to be competitive. When Bishop went down, the slide started. It is not a case that Cooper is suddenly a bad coach. It's a fact that the goaltender position is of the utmost importance while the injury to a top forward can be compensated by other forwards. Therrien has his flaws but he is not a bad coach.
"Only one thing matters in life, and it's the cup"  
                                            - Caresse Crosby

Thanks given by: