Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Injury update
There can always be trade talks going on that influence whether Andrighetto gets the nod over Carr, so a trade partner gets a feel for where Ghetto is at (NHL-wise) in his development. That's a definite possibility. Who knows?
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-14, 01:07 PM)Haba-daba-do Wrote: Seems like a little change from Carr to Ghetto in recent weeks. Cant say not deserved but the habling in me wonders...

If it to up his value for a trade?
Is it so that LV can have a look and Mtl not minding losing him in the draft?

Or is it just the best lines to put out for a win lol...nah cant be that simple Wink

Might be as simple as......
Ghetto would have to clear waivers, Carr would not.
Maybe Andrighetto is being granted another opportunity to prove his worth?
Thanks given by:
Definitely has something to do with it. They'd lose Ghetto for nothing if they return him to the farm, no? If they want to trade him and get something in return, he needs to stay up. The plus side is that it provides him with the opportunity (once again) to prove his mettle.

If he does prove himself useful, either he stays with Montreal or gets a shot somewhere else at the NHL level.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-13, 10:50 PM)bchippie Wrote: We definitely need Markov on the PK. Even without prior knowledge of  the #'s that you shared, it's pretty obvious.

Sent from my T03 using Tapatalk

About the PK, I agree with what Mitch Melnick said (even if I don't always agree):

"
  • Penalty Kill. God awful. Who’s in charge here? How is it that Carey Price’s save percentage while the Habs are shorthanded is .850 – or 36th among NHL goalies with at least 12 games played? What’s happened to Montreal’s aggressive approach on the PK? Instead we see four players in a box, barely moving, waving their sticks back and forth, while opponents easily find open space and free shooting lanes. It doesn’t matter who your goalie is when you allow as many high quality shots as the Habs do. They’ve sunk to 23rd in the NHL on the PK at 78.6%. Yet nothing changes."

This isn't strictly a Markov being out of the lineup thing. Coaching staff needs to shake things up in the method which is much too passive.Lately, during a 5 on 3 and a few other penalties that we defended successfully, Montreal players were constantly on the puck carrier, placing pressure on those players and hustling to block shooting lanes.They stray from this approach and the PK sucks, period.
Thanks given by:
From GO HABS GO, an interesting read on Gallagher's latest injury:

Suffering for a cause
Brendan Gallagher is undergoing painful rehab on his hand, but he's hoping to be back sooner rather than later
by Joanie Godin. Translated by Matt Cudzinowski. @canadiensmtl / canadiens.com

BROSSARD - Brendan Gallagher certainly didn't expect to suffer another fracture to his left hand forcing him to go through the same rehab work he'd already undergone just over a year ago.

Unfortunately, it's somewhat of a carbon copy scenario for the 24-year-old forward, who sustained the injury in almost the very same spot for a second year in a row.

The good news is that the knuckle that took the brunt of the hit in Dallas isn't one players tend to use often, and he's planning on returning a little bit sooner than he did last year.

"Last year, it took me 40 days before I was able to get back to playing again, so this year I'm aiming for 39. But, we have to make sure that the bone heals properly. On my end, I need to make sure that my fingers are moving well and I'm hoping to come back soon," said Gallagher, who was smiling again 10 days after going down with a fractured left hand.

Gallagher met the media for the first time on Saturday morning since being struck by a Shea Weber shot in Texas that forced him to undergo surgery earlier in the month. A new plate was installed in his hand, adding to the one that had already been inserted last season. Fortunately, the original plate wasn't been damaged this time around.

Video of the incident showed that Gallagher instantly knew that the injury was serious and that he'd likely be sidelined for quite some time. When he went under the knife on January 5, doctors estimated his recovery time to be at least eight weeks.

"I knew that my hand was fractured when I looked at it, and I knew that I needed surgery. It just looked a lot like it did the last time. It was painful, but it's like I didn't really feel it anymore. In my mind, it was more about the frustration because I knew everything that was ahead of me in order to get back to playing," admitted Gallagher.

While Gallagher's frustration trumped his pain in the moments after the injury, the same can't really be said for his rehab work since.

"It's painful, but the more you're able to endure the pain, the faster the process goes. So, if I can manage that, I think I can regain usage of my finger more quickly and I'll be able to hold a stick. The stiffness that I had the last time won't be as big of a problem this time around, because even if the same finger is affected, the joint isn't as important. It doesn't have to move as much, so it's positive," explained Gallagher.

Gallagher's style of play is somewhat behind why injuries like these pop up on occasion - along with some bad luck, of course. Positioning himself in front of the net and blocking shots are big parts of his game and he has no intention of changing the way he goes about his business when he finally comes back.

"I can't change the way I play. If I stop putting myself in those spots, I won't be very effective. Injuries are going to happen and it's unfortunate that I've had to undergo two operations in two years, but you have to learn to live with it and move on. It shouldn't really have an impact on me when I come back," indicated Gallagher.

One thing that may change, though, is the additional protection Gallagher will have in his gloves. He's looking at different options with the help of the Canadiens' equipment staff right now.

"I had some protection there last year and I removed it. I don't know if it would have helped, but I'm probably going to play with it for the rest of my career now since I've been injured twice. I don't want to experience that again, so I'm going to take every necessary precaution to protect my hands, while being comfortable at the same time," concluded Gallagher, who registered six goals and 18 points in 39 games before sustaining his injury
Thanks given by:
I find Mitch Melnick one of the few I can trust in the media, he's right more often than not. He's the oppososite of Tony Marinaro. As far as Markov and the pk. The naked eye and the numbers clearly show that he is dearly missed. Put him there and rest him in other areas.

Thanks given by:
I wouldn't mind if he accepts getting less time at even strength (I just doubt he will). I'd still use him on the PP, although I would alternate with Petry or Beaulieu to help give the PP different looks. He mustn't play more than 20 minutes a game, IMO, maybe a little less, even.
Thanks given by:
Markv is already playing way less time then ever. MT has done a good job of managing his ice time already, dropping him under 20 hopefully won't happen.

He has stopped skating but MT says it is not a setback just groin injuries are unpredictable. Seems like this is going to drag out.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-14, 02:53 PM)bchippie Wrote: I find Mitch Melnick one of the few I can trust in the media, he's right more often than not. He's the oppososite of Tony Marinaro. As far as Markov and the pk. The naked eye and the numbers clearly show that he is dearly missed. Put him there and rest him in other areas.

Ya Melnick is one of the few on English Montreal sports radio that does a good job and if it wasnt for him talking about music and baseball more often that not I'd probably listen in to him more often. 

At the same time he has said most of his insider information comes from Pierre McGuire, who most posters here dont seem to like much
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-14, 06:45 PM)tm123 Wrote: Markv is already playing way less time then ever.  MT has done a good job of managing his ice time already, dropping him under 20 hopefully won't happen.

He has stopped skating but MT says it is not a setback just groin injuries are unpredictable.  Seems like this is going to drag out.

Certainly does. Montreal definitely needs to protect itself by acquiring a depth, veteran D at the deadline. Groin injuries tend to be chronic.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-14, 07:14 PM)SeanCDNMTL Wrote: [quote='bchippie' pid='655699' dateline='1484423624']
I find Mitch Melnick one of the few I can trust in the media, he's right more often than not. He's the oppososite of Tony Marinaro. As far as Markov and the pk. The naked eye and the numbers clearly show that he is dearly missed. Put him there and rest him in other areas.

Ya Melnick is one of the few on English Montreal sports radio that does a good job and if it wasnt for him talking about music and baseball more often that not I'd probably listen in to him more often. 

At the same time he has said most of his insider information comes from Pierre McGuire, who most posters here dont seem to like much
[/quote
I've been listening to Melnick in the after noon for about 8 years now, I miss very few shows. He's reasonable, level headed and very knowledgeable. I've never heard him say once during the time I've been listening to him that most of his inside information comes from Mr. Know it all McGuire. Melcnick's been in the business for about 40 years. he's very well connected to all the big boys in the media such as Farber, Friedman and Lebrun. He is close with McGuire and no doubt respects him alot. As a matter of fact it was Melnick that gave Mcguire his first radio gig before he became big on TV. Having said that it would seem out of character for Melnick to say that he gets most of his insider of information from Mcguire. Maybe you're mistaken on that
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-15, 12:43 AM)bchippie Wrote:
(2017-01-14, 07:14 PM)SeanCDNMTL Wrote:
(2017-01-14, 02:53 PM)bchippie Wrote: I find Mitch Melnick one of the few I can trust in the media, he's right more often than not. He's the oppososite of Tony Marinaro. As far as Markov and the pk. The naked eye and the numbers clearly show that he is dearly missed. Put him there and rest him in other areas.

[/quote
I've been listening to Melnick in the after noon for about 8 years now, I miss very few shows.  He's reasonable, level headed and very knowledgeable. I've never heard him say once during  the time I've been listening to him that most of his inside information comes from Mr. Know it all McGuire. Melcnick's been in the business for about 40 years. he's very well connected to all the big boys in the media such as Farber, Friedman and Lebrun.  He is close with McGuire and no doubt respects him alot. As a matter of fact it was Melnick that gave Mcguire his first radio gig before he became big on TV. Having said that it would seem out of character for Melnick to say that he gets most of his insider of information from Mcguire. Maybe you're mistaken on that
Well I heard him say it. It was at a sports gala and he was one of the main speakers. I know people consider McGuire anti-Hab and for some reason consider him a hack. But like it or not he is still one of the most well connected and knowledgable guys out there and Melnick said himself there is no one else in hockey he respects and listens to more than McGuire. He also touched upon other hockey and sports people he is close to, but I don't think we should mix up fans biases with the fact that yes McGuire is very connected and knowledgable about what goes on in the league and certainly someone a guy like Melnick reaches out to
Thanks given by:
Just watching ch24, 1st one I am seeing this season as Rds is free preview for me.

Felt bad for the injured guys, they showed their daily routine. As Markov said, harder then being at practice. They showed Markov, Pat, chuck. No sight of DD. Markov loooked great. Surprised he had a set back.

Pat said he was having an important scan "next week" which would have been last week. That scan would give him an idea of when he may be back.
Thanks given by: