Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there any sport more boring than F1?
Another race where the commentators have to focus on the the "battle" for 14th spot because its a virtual parade to the finish for the race leader. Most races are devoid of any drama especially at the front except for a few brief moments and rarely is there a contested finish. Also when was the last time someone outside the top 3 qualifiers won a race? Another stat: if you have pole position in qualifying you win basically half the time! Wow what drama!
Thanks given by:
yes........ Soccer
Thanks given by: BobbyBaun , Viable
I have zero interest in any sort of car racing.

Well, I guess that's not true - I'd go to an event live (Nascar are huge parties) but don't really understand the draw and have zero interest to watch on TV.

I have never got in to soccer but its 100X more interesting than auto racing - I went to a Scottish Elite League game in Glasgow a few years back and that was excellent.
Thanks given by:
golf and soccer..
Thanks given by:
The problem is that we have seen a pretty unprecedented run of dominance in the past 6 years. for 4 years Red Bull was unbeatable and now for the past two its been Mercedes running away with everything.  Even back when Ferrari and Schumacher were dominating in the early 2000's we didnt see this type of utter and complete domination. Ferrari won 6 straight constructors championships but the biggest gap in points between 1st and 2nd was 143. 3 of the years it was under 20 points though and a couple of those years it was single digits.

The past 3 years the gap has been 236 points, 297 points and so far this year its already at 275 points halfway through the season. Part of that is the points system change in 2010 but even without that it would still be a runaway. Its not that the sport itself is boring, its just that one team has just been (literally) miles better than everyone for the past few years.

If the Penguins won 80 games every year and swept every series in the playoffs for 3 years hockey would seem kind of boring too.
Thanks given by:
It's more fun playing the game. Although, the last version was garbage.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
F1 is by far the most boring version of auto racing among the big 3 (NASCAR, and Indy Car being the other 2).

Soccer, is definitely worse to watch IMO though. And I love playing soccer, but it's just brutally boring to watch.
Thanks given by:
I struggle to consider auto racing as a 'sport' period. It's more of a trade show.

At the grassroots level it's amazing entertainment. But F1, Nascar, and Superbikes a just a pissing contest for rich guys.

No interest at all.
Thanks given by:
Not sure how you can have an accurate assessment of it, if you don't have any interest in it...

It's very much a sport.
Thanks given by:
Ok, just for snickers, why?
Thanks given by:
The physical demands the body is under when driving a race car, are astronomically more than most sports.

Jimmie Johnson and Matt Kenseth went for a "chill" bike ride this week, and it was 103 miles lol.

The strategies involved, such as today, where a 31st place driver in the standings won the race, is all part of what makes sport, sport as well.
Thanks given by:
So you're saying auto racing is the most physically demanding 'sport' out there?

Ok..
Thanks given by:
I didn't say that. Much like you didn't say Barney was Tulo Wink

If you want to argue they aren't under extreme physical conditions, have at er'

Silly
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-01, 06:46 PM)Limestoner Wrote: So you're saying auto racing is the most physically demanding 'sport' out there?

Ok..

I think you drasticly underestimate the physical conditioning of F1/Indy drivers.  They sustain G-loads that even the best "traditional" athletes couldnt handle once or twice, let alone repeatedly for over an hour.  F1 drivers will pull between 4-6 G's in corners and 4-5 G's during breaking and acceleration. They will lose ~6lbs over the course of a race and they will have an avg heartbeat of 170-190 BPM for the duration of the race. You think guys in other sport are running around with a 170 heart rate for a full hour? Not to mention that their hand eye and reaction times are off the charts.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SPORT/06/17/...rss_latest

Auto racing is an extremely physically demanding sport (except NASCAR)
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-03, 09:59 PM)Andrew Wrote:
(2016-08-01, 06:46 PM)Limestoner Wrote: So you're saying auto racing is the most physically demanding 'sport' out there?

Ok..

I think you drasticly underestimate the physical conditioning of F1/Indy drivers.  They sustain G-loads that even the best "traditional" athletes couldnt handle once or twice, let alone repeatedly for over an hour.  F1 drivers will pull between 4-6 G's in corners and 4-5 G's during breaking and acceleration. They will lose ~6lbs over the course of a race and they will have an avg heartbeat of 170-190 BPM for the duration of the race. You think guys in other sport are running around with a 170 heart rate for a full hour? Not to mention that their hand eye and reaction times are off the charts.

NASCAR is too, just not to the same extent. You mention 6 lbs for an F1 race (which are half as long), NASCAR drivers will lose 10. Brad Keselowski tweeted proof of it earlier this year.
Thanks given by:
I am not an auto racing fan nor am I a hater of the sport.

A business colleague of mine who races vehicles heard me complain about how you just had to sit behind the wheel for an hour or two while cruising around a track.

He invited me out to go go-karting indoors in Richmond BC a suburb that touches Vancouver with 3 bridges. A bunch of guys he knew came out to race. After 1 hour of racing a kart I was exhausted. I am in great shape, workout regularly and its till it taxed my body where I felt it the next day.

I was convinced that day that the drivers are amazing athletes.
Thanks given by:
Basketball.

I really enjoyed playing the game, but watching the NBA? Yawn.
"Stand up for yourself young fellow. Nobody else is going to do it for you" 
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-04, 12:46 AM)thebest41587 Wrote:

Ok..

NASCAR is too, just not to the same extent. You mention 6 lbs for an F1 race (which are half as long), NASCAR drivers will lose 10. Brad Keselowski tweeted proof of it earlier this year.

Oh Im sure its hot as hell in a NASCAR and they sweat out alot. But the overall physical demands are much lower in stock car than open wheel.
Thanks given by:
Agreed. They don't go as fast, and don't have near the braking system. They don't run very many road courses either, so high speed cornering that isn't gradual, is very rare. It's still more of a workout than most sports though.
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-04, 12:46 AM)thebest41587 Wrote:

Ok..

I'm not sure thats really a great indicator for athletic ability.  It's just water loss.  Heck, as a kid I can remember some of my larger football team mates running laps wearing garbage bags to lose 10 lbs on weigh in night, and these guys were far from world class athletes.  Looking back probably wasn't all that healthy for a bunch of 14 year Olds.   

But I ccompletely agree that F1 racing,  or all auto racing for that matter, are extremely boring.
Thanks given by: