Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
January transfer thread
Draxler to PSG.

Linked to the Arsenal for a number of seasons, just signed with PSG.
Courage, my word, it didn't come, it doesn't matter.
Thanks given by:
Welcome back to the EPL, Joey Barton. In at Burnley.

God help us all.
Thanks given by:
Joey Barton, Charlie Adams and Diego Costa walk into a bar .......... bartender looks up and says, sorry, we don't serve cun .... oh wait, bad Gooner.  Bad.   Silly

Thanks given by: TonyManYoo
I'm okay missing out on Draxler. He mostly plays on the left wing right? I've liked Iwobi in that spot all season.

Not sure what we'll be in the market for this January, but I hope we make some calls about another defender and maybe another striker up front.
 'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.'
Thanks given by:
Yeah, me too.  Not overly concerned with the news.  You're right, he plays out on the left wing - and I too like Iwobi out there.  Also preferred by Sanchez - if we decide to play Giroud up top.  Mertesacker will soon be back, and I think Holding does quite well and would obviously benefit from regular play.  He's shown potential, so, I'd like to see that rewarded instead of splashing on another defender.  Same with a striker.  We've shown this season, especially, that we do not need an all out striker to bag an exceptional amount of goals.  I'm still behind Perez and would like to see him get his chance.  I'm sort of doubtful we spend this January, but, who knows how the stars will align.

Thanks given by:
Big rumours about Sanchez to China.
Draxler has been on the cusp of a big move for a few years. I never saw that much in the player, tbh.
Thanks given by:
WTF with China? I saw Tevez went there last week for £600,000 weekly wages! That's more than Messi or Ronaldo no?

I think we will mostly be in the selling side of this transfer window.
Thanks given by:
Okay lets have a crack at talking about where the top clubs need to strengthen.

I'll start at the top of the league table and work downward.

Chelsea
Last 12 games show that Chelsea are not weak anywhere when it comes to first XI. However a look at their goalscoring shows that Costa is carrying the load (not unusual for a top quality striker to score a lot of goals, Aguero etc. ) but we've also seen teams on great runs fall off when that striker gets injured and the back-up is a major drop off.
I think Chelsea might be wise to find a second front man, perhaps one that can play two roles, to cover across the front not just the middle. Someone like Lacazette.

Liverpool
Goalkeeping has been an issue since Pepe Reina moved on. We are now back to the less than confident hands of Mignolet. However his distribution against Stoke and Middlesborough was ten times better than it was before he dropped, so I think Klopp will leave that one be.
Mane is heading to ANC, but hopefully we will see Coutinho back and Sturridge fit (sssshhh, don't say that too loud).
I think he sticks with this lot, unless a long term target becomes available.

Man City
Clearly Guardiola is not enamoured with a number of players. Defensively they have not got to grips with his style of play, and that starts with the Goalkeeper.
I think city will go to the market for defenders, and a GK if one becomes available. Germans and Spaniards, he  fishes where he knows.

Arsenal
Arsenal are their usual enigma. They can look amazing then look flat. They are still absent a real spine, and Arsene doesn't know what to do with Giroud. The reliance on Walcott and Oxlade Chamberlain is problematic because they blow hot and cold, and lots of chances.
They should make a crazy bid for Yaya Toure to give them a driving midfielder to rally around.

Spurs
Relying on Harry Kane and playing around him is Spurs weakness. He's good but not top four good. They could use a bit of pressure for places up front, and a different look, more pace and footwork. I can see them going in for someone like Shaqiri from Stoke, someone with a bit of guile.

Man United
They've looked a lot better of late, winning a lot of games. A few players are having a run of form, but form is temporary, class is permanent, so I expect to see at least two big signings for Maureen in this window. I think he will look to improve Uniteds wingers, so a fast attacking midfielder -Arjen Robben type. I also think he wants a towering defender he can rely on. Another old United boy to return? Pique?   Grin
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-29, 09:36 AM)miltonred Wrote: Okay lets have a crack at talking about where the top clubs need to strengthen.

I'll start at the top of the league table and work downward.

Chelsea
Last 12 games show that Chelsea are not weak anywhere when it comes to first XI. However a look at their goalscoring shows that Costa is carrying the load (not unusual for a top quality striker to score a lot of goals, Aguero etc. ) but we've also seen teams on great runs fall off when that striker gets injured and the back-up is a major drop off.
I think Chelsea might be wise to find a second front man, perhaps one that can play two roles, to cover across the front not just the middle. Someone like Lacazette.

Liverpool
Goalkeeping has been an issue since Pepe Reina moved on. We are now back to the less than confident hands of Mignolet. However his distribution against Stoke and Middlesborough was ten times better than it was before he dropped, so I think Klopp will leave that one be.
Mane is heading to ANC, but hopefully we will see Coutinho back and Sturridge fit (sssshhh, don't say that too loud).
I think he sticks with this lot, unless a long term target becomes available.

Man City
Clearly Guardiola is not enamoured with a number of players. Defensively they have not got to grips with his style of play, and that starts with the Goalkeeper.
I think city will go to the market for defenders, and a GK if one becomes available. Germans and Spaniards, he  fishes where he knows.

Arsenal
Arsenal are their usual enigma. They can look amazing then look flat. They are still absent a real spine, and Arsene doesn't know what to do with Giroud. The reliance on Walcott and Oxlade Chamberlain is problematic because they blow hot and cold, and lots of chances.
They should make a crazy bid for Yaya Toure to give them a driving midfielder to rally around.

Spurs
Relying on Harry Kane and playing around him is Spurs weakness. He's good but not top four good. They could use a bit of pressure for places up front, and a different look, more pace and footwork. I can see them going in for someone like Shaqiri from Stoke, someone with a bit of guile.

Man United
They've looked a lot better of late, winning a lot of games. A few players are having a run of form, but form is temporary, class is permanent, so I expect to see at least two big signings for Maureen in this window. I think he will look to improve Uniteds wingers, so a fast attacking midfielder -Arjen Robben type. I also think he wants a towering defender he can rely on. Another old United boy to return? Pique?   Grin

Love it!  At last, a footballing thread with some meat.

I'll offer my two cents in the order in which teams will finish the season...

Arsenal

Additional cover for the central defensive pairing.  I would go to war with United over the availability of Anthony Jones.  We can't win that one, but we can unsettle United and make the relationship between Wenger and jomo even more entertaining.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Arsenal cont'd..

Cover for Ozil and Cazorla.  Payet would fit nicely.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Liverpool

Mane leaves a massive immediate void as he heads off to the African Cup.

Trade with Arsenal? Liverpool can have either Theo, or Ox, and we get Mane when he comes back to the epl.

Goalkeeping....would Leicester sell their man?
Thanks given by:
Chelsea without Costa must frighten the faithful. Welbeck is close to returning and surplus to requirements at Arsenal.
Thanks given by:
i thought his name was Phil Jones?

Mane has been good, sometimes very good. However Coutinho has been out 6 games already and that is about as many as Mane will miss, so nobody is shitting themselves at Anfield about Mane missing January.
Ideally I would have Sturridge up front, with Firmino as an option and push Origi out wide left, with Sturridge and Ojo as options wide too. if we bring someone in, the you block fringe players from getting games, potentially miss out on more games for Sturridge, and then have a spare guy from February onwards?

Klopp has definitively said that the Ox rumour is nonsense today.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-29, 12:41 PM)miltonred Wrote: i thought his name was Phil Jones?

Mane has been good, sometimes very good. However Coutinho has been out 6 games already and that is about as many as Mane will miss, so nobody is shitting themselves at Anfield about Mane missing January.
Ideally I would have Sturridge up front, with Firmino as an option and push Origi out wide left, with Sturridge and Ojo as options wide too. if we bring someone in, the you block fringe players from getting games, potentially miss out on more games for Sturridge, and then have a spare guy from February onwards?

Klopp has definitively said that the Ox rumour is nonsense today.
Hey man, I'm making this up without reading any gossip.  You say there's rumours about the Ox heading to Liverpool? Lol.

I believe 'Phil' is not Mr. Jones' given name.

I'd take Fellaini in January, and I'd use him as cover everywhere, including centre back.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-29, 11:22 AM)Arsenal Wrote: Chelsea without Costa must frighten the faithful.  Welbeck is close to returning and surplus to requirements at Arsenal.

Really?  Surplus?  Remember the last time he returned from knee injury one,  he bagged that absolute hair raising goal to beat Leicester in the final seconds of added time.  Brilliant free kick by Ozil too.  And I think it was Norwich where his was the winner.  Anyways, he's not a starter and doesn't sound like he will be anytime soon either - but he does have the ability to come off the bench and shake things up.  Like how Giroud is doing this year .. cept for last match, of course.  Having center forward depth, and individual strengths, is something we shouldn't be poo pooing ... lots of season left and CL starting up again shortly.  We're due for a key crippling injury, soon.

Anyways, sorry, I feel we are having another lovers spat about our team .........  Love

Thanks given by:
There's some solid rumblings of trouble at Southampton.  Players in a "us or them" bid to the chairman as it relates to Puel and Black.  

Hilariously, Fonte has put in a transfer request.  Then there's this....

[Image: cD1eP3n.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I think Spurs are not that bad up front actually. With Dele and Erikson performing the way they have, they are no worse up front than Chelsea counting on Costa every game.
Guess what? I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!
Thanks given by:
Spurs are fine up front. Fifth best offense in the league and the best defense.
Thanks given by:
This is true. Fine though, means they will stay in the hunt for top four. I don't see them having what it would take to catch up and overtake Chelsea, unless Chelsea bombs, and I don't think there is any chance of that happening unless Costa gets hurt for a long period.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-06, 11:18 AM)U miltonred Wrote: This is true. Fine though, means they will stay in the hunt for top four. I don't see them having what it would take to catch up and overtake Chelsea, unless Chelsea bombs, and I don't think there is any chance of that happening unless Costa gets hurt for a long period.

I think Spurs gave the league a clue how to attack Chelsea.  Assign your most creative player to play in the space between matic and hazard because hazard will cheat on the offensive side.  In arsenal's case, that's ozil's sweet spot.  Then play your big man against moses.
Thanks given by: