Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laine gets rocked
(2017-01-09, 01:32 PM)Nanuuk Wrote: So its ok with you for a fight to ensue every time there is a body check going on? This wasn't a malicious hit by any stretch. It was clean and had a poor outcome. I  can see sticking up for your teammates (rookie or otherwise) for blind side hits, elbows, slew foots, spears, and slashes that cause an injury. Most often those come from intent whether the refs see it that way or not.

Let's be honest here, that hit on a plug, meh, who cares about the outcome (other than hoping he's ok). 

That hit on the future of a franchise, one of the best players in the game right now? You bet I want to see my guys do something about it.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-09, 02:31 PM)Bong13 Wrote:
(2017-01-09, 01:21 AM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote:
(2017-01-08, 11:51 PM)cool_as_a Wrote: cfl is sour on Toronto because he knows the Argos are dead in Toronto, and the people moved on to a real football league: NFL.

It appears the World Juniors are also dead in Toronto.

its time to bring the WJHC back to places like Red Deer, Regina, Brandon, Halifax etc and bring the ticket prices down.

Agreed it should be in places where junior hockey is played not big cities like montreal or toronto
Thanks given by: Nanuuk
(2017-01-09, 02:48 PM)mada7 Wrote:
(2017-01-09, 02:31 PM)Bong13 Wrote:
(2017-01-08, 11:51 PM)cool_as_a Wrote: cfl is sour on Toronto because he knows the Argos are dead in Toronto, and the people moved on to a real football league: NFL.

its time to bring the WJHC back to places like Red Deer, Regina, Brandon, Halifax etc and bring the ticket prices down.

Agreed it should be in places where junior hockey is played not big cities like montreal or toronto

QC or smaller IMO.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-09, 01:05 PM)cool_as_a Wrote:

How convenient that you also forgot about Montreal (rolling eyes back.)

Hate much?

whos hating? 

Toronto isn't a sports city, it's a professional sports city. It's sad that amateur or other good leagues don't do well in T dot because the athletes aren't making 7 figures.

Even then, unless other teams are winning, it's only a Leafs town.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-09, 04:37 PM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote:

Hate much?

whos hating? 

Toronto isn't a sports city, it's a professional sports city. It's sad that amateur or other good leagues don't do well in T dot because the athletes aren't making 7 figures.

My wife is a massive WJC and NCAA Basketball fan, TOF.  I looked at getting tickets to a few games (esp the New Years Eve game) and the pricing was just idiotic.  

I'm sorry but $180 a ticket (minimum!) to watch kids that I can watch at a fraction of that in the OHL etc. just doesn't make sense.  The issue isn't that Torontonians aren't interested, the issue is the organizers put them up in the ACC and in the Montreal Forum instead of the Ricoh center and more fiscally responsible ice.  When we watched the game in MTL the tickets cost my wife a fortune but she promised herself she'd go see that game in her life and so she shelled out.  Plus it was in the forum and as a Torontonian that's a great experience. It ended up being totally worth it for her but to me that's kind of a 1-off.

To watch it at the ACC, a place I've been to dozens of times, and shell out $180 a ticket + $35 to park + food + beverages is insanity for the WJC.  

The organizers have made a huge mistake re: pricing and it showed.  

I agree - take it to the other parts of Canada that will appreciate the game without being presented with a $180 (minimum) ticket price.  I bet you the tickets are far cheaper.  I still enjoy the tourney and am thrilled I saw the Canada/USA game in MTL two years ago, it was a hell of an experience.  But this Toronto/MTL experiment failed this year.  It's time to get back to what the Tourney is about.  (And it's not profits.)
Thanks given by: lillypad_33

Hate much?

whos hating? 

You are off on this one TOF. Toronto is an everything city. 
I've seen people gather just to watch strangers play beer league baseball at Bellwoods or soccer at a school. 
Come down to see all the Jays, Raps and TFC support right now - it's not all just Leafs. 
We just had the Junior's, before this one. And the World Cup of Hockey. The Pan Am Games. Rap's playoff runs. Jay's playoff runs. TFC's run to the final. The Grey Cup... The market got saturated with all these events. 
Finances were depleted, not support or interest.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 12:57 PM)ZappaScores Wrote:

Hate much?

whos hating? 

I've seen people gather just to watch strangers play beer league baseball at Bellwoods or soccer at a school. 
Come down to see all the Jays, Raps and TFC support right now - it's not all just Leafs. 
We just had the Junior's, before this one. And the World Cup of Hockey. The Pan Am Games. Rap's playoff runs. Jay's playoff runs. TFC's run to the final. The Grey Cup... The market got saturated with all these events. 

Wait a minute... I'll accept that Toronto gives contenders/competitors not named "The Leafs" some attention, but when the chips are down... not so much. I will agree, that the number of large sporting events in Toronto in a short period of time was massive, and likely played a part. 

Before the success of the Jays, Rogers Centre was "too big", they were down in 23 of 30 teams for attendance (just north of 60% full)

Before the success of the Raptors, the ACC was doing ok, upwards of 90% full

TFC average announced attendance, keep in mind. Two years ago, after the reno to increase capacity, they were 22,086 from 18,131 the year before. 
  • 2007: 20,134 (15 matches) / missed playoffs
  • 2008: 20,039 (17 matches) / missed playoffs
  • 2009: 20,312 (18 matches) / missed playoffs
  • 2010: 19,049 (21 matches) / missed playoffs
  • 2011: 18,599 (23 matches) / missed playoffs
Thanks given by:
The Dome is too big for regular season baseball. It's a stupid multi-purpose stadium first, baseball park second. Generally regarded as the 2nd worst experience in MLB behind Tropicana Field (and maybe whatever the Athletics stadium is being called this week).

Build a ballpark more conducive to a real outdoor atmosphere and even in lean years I bet the Jays draw relatively well. Let's face it - almost any sports franchise that misses the playoffs for as long as the Jays did will probably have attendance issues at some point.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 02:12 PM)theDC Wrote:
(2017-01-09, 01:21 AM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote: It appears the World Juniors are also dead in Toronto.

Hate much?

whos hating? 

Wait a minute... I'll accept that Toronto gives contenders/competitors not named "The Leafs" some attention, but when the chips are down... not so much. I will agree, that the number of large sporting events in Toronto in a short period of time was massive, and likely played a part. 

Before the success of the Jays, Rogers Centre was "too big", they were down in 23 of 30 teams for attendance (just north of 60% full)

TFC average announced attendance, keep in mind. Two years ago, after the reno to increase capacity, they were 22,086 from 18,131 the year before. 

When the Jays begin to suck again the interest will drop.  Like it did years ago...
Warning:  Brain May not be Engaged.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 09:55 PM)cflisthebest Wrote:
(2017-01-09, 01:05 PM)cool_as_a Wrote: How convenient that you also forgot about Montreal (rolling eyes back.)

Hate much?

whos hating? 

When the Jays begin to suck again the interest will drop.  Like it did years ago...

Meh, at least we have an MLB team to cheer for and then lose interest in...
"Oh mischief, glorious mischief...I do so love it!"
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 12:40 AM)MisterZ Wrote:
(2017-01-10, 09:55 PM)cflisthebest Wrote:
(2017-01-09, 04:37 PM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote: whos hating? 

Meh, at least we have an MLB team to cheer for and then lose interest in...

That is true. 

I wish Edmonton had an MLB team for when I have trouble sleeping Wink
Thanks given by: MisterZ
Actually, Blue Jays get decent support, even during the down years. When you combine both leagues, they were around the middle of the pack, after 1995.
From 85 to 95 they finished first in attendance, except for 2 seasons were they were 2nd place and 2 years where they were 3rd place.
Saying Toronto only supports the Leafs is like saying LA only supports the Lakers or Vancouver only supports the White Caps.
Thanks given by:
After the Raptors moved to the ACC they set NBA attendance records at the time.

The Jays were in the bottom half for American League attendance between 2000 and 2011 but only once fell below 20k per game on average. Not bad considering management was truly inept for many of those years.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 11:57 AM)ZappaScores Wrote: Actually, Blue Jays get decent support, even during the down years. When you combine both leagues, they were around the middle of the pack, after 1995.
From 85 to 95 they finished first in attendance, except for 2 seasons were they were 2nd place and 2 years where they were 3rd place.
Saying Toronto only supports the Leafs is like saying LA only supports the Lakers or Vancouver only supports the White Caps.

"Vancouver only supports the White Caps" lol ok that was pretty funny.
Thanks given by: