Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laine not a sure pick
I have no idea who this blogger is or how connected he is for that matter but it does bring up interesting debate. Personally I think the Jets are crazy if they dont take Laine. They need an explosive scorer to score in the west and not that Puljujarvi isnt good but he is a more well rounded player. Jets already have that in guys like Little and Schiefele imo. Anyways here is the article.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Peter-Tes.../161/77060

It's not often when the same thing gets told to you from different sides and in this case it's different from all sorts. When I first heard this on the weekend I was not surprised given the source and who was saying it, they've been correct in the past on Jets news and moves and have proven to me as reliable. The other one came rather out of nowhere due to a bit of coincidence.

Now hear me out I'm not suggesting that the Jets are not interested in Patrik Laine but they might be just as interested in Jesse Puljujarvi right now. That's what I've been told from two sources who I have no reason to doubt. 

The Jets are sort of sitting in a position of a spoil of riches where they technically shouldn't be sitting with the 2nd over all pick in the 2016 entry draft, yet here they are. It's a win-win situation. They can choose anyone they want after the Leafs take a player first. The question now revolves around who 'should' they take and the popular choice is Laine. He's got almost everything the Jets could want and has so many scouts and GMs drooling over him it's making most fans and pundits forget about Puljujarvi. 

He's not a bad consolation prize for the Blue Jackets if the Jets take Laine but that choice seems to be up in the air. It's believed the Jets have taken calls about trading the pick but what would the price to get that choice be? 

It would be huge- a top 6 roster player or possible top 4 LHD plus a later pick plus prospects that are ready now, not later. Even so adding more depth in prospects does not necessarily help the Jets either. It adds to a talent pool but the real need is the talent pool at the NHL level, not one that could be ready in 2-3 years. 

Of course any trade deal calls need to be heard, even if they are ludicrous. But what is it about Puljujarvi that makes him as attractive to the Jets as Laine is to everyone else? Is this a case of filling a hole and ignoring the 'best player available' philosophy? It would not be the first time either as the in 2011 the Jets took Mark Scheifele instead of Sean Couturier then in 2012 they took Jacob Trouba over Filip Forsberg as well. 

Is this simply the Jets taking the player they want or ignoring the masses and following their plan? Maybe it's the same thing but right now that very same scenario is shaping up...again
Thanks given by:
I remember most people saying that Seth Jones was a sure thing to go at #2 in 2013, but he fell to #4.\

I remember Radek Bonk being virtually guaranteed to go #1, but he fell to #3.

Cam Fowler was supposed to go #3 and maybe #4 and fell all of the way to #13.

Same thing happened with Filip Forsberg. Same thing happened with Anze Kopitar. There are countless examples throughout draft history of this happening where elite consensus guys fall for some reason or another.

Heck, Anthony Duclair was supposed to go in the top 20 and fell to the 3rd round.

I think the chances of this happening this year are almost nil, particularly the possibility of an 8 or 9 spot drop like what happened to Kopitar.

However, I wouldn't put it past Winnipeg to take a guy like Puljujarvi. He's safe, he's fast and big and has all of the qualities Laine has except the shot, but he's a better passer and some scouts say a better skater.

That being said, Laine is the clear favourite to go #2, especially given the premium Winnipeg puts on power and size.
Thanks given by:
Only way Jets don't draft Laine is if the leafs take him, which is also highly unlikely. Matthews and Laine are going 1, 2 in the draft. The media is just trying to make the draft more dramatic.
Thanks given by: Bong13
Matthews and Laine, IMO, should be 1a and 1b. Leafs probably would prefer Matthews, especially since he is a center but Laine is a skilled young man who has shown he can compete at a high level against older players. The Jets would be fools not to take him if he's still there.

I was speculating with my son whether he thought the Jets might try to put together a package to get Puljujarvi as well. Thoughts?
Thanks given by:
I think that Laine would be better just because of that explosive shot factor. The other big Finn would be a great pick as well, but I don't think its a bad thing for the Jets to try and gets the bpa now that they've gotten a chance to actually do so.
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
If any player of the top 4 drops it will be Puljujarvi.
Thanks given by:
As an Oiler fan, if both Puljujarvi and Laine were available at 4, who would you take? I lean toward Tkachuk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
You would take Tkachuk over Laine????
Thanks given by:
(2016-05-27, 02:23 PM)Wulfgar85 Wrote: You would take Tkachuk over Laine????

Sorry, I meant Puljujarvi and Tkachuk - not Puljujarvi and Laine.

Laine clearly goes #2.
Thanks given by:
(2016-05-27, 03:08 PM)Pouzar Wrote:
(2016-05-27, 02:23 PM)Wulfgar85 Wrote: You would take Tkachuk over Laine????

Sorry, I meant Puljujarvi and Tkachuk - not Puljujarvi and Laine.

Laine clearly goes #2.

There may be people who snicker at the thought of Columbus passing over Puljujarvi, but some people scouts on the periphery think he's simply the safest of a group that includes Dubois and Tkachuk and that Puljujarvi belongs more in the conversation with those guys than he does the Matthews/Laine group.

He's a big guy with speed, but his numbers have yet to show a clear projection towards being a PPG player.

A lot can change after the draft combine. That being said, given that he was neck-in-neck with Laine up until the Liiga playoffs, Columbus will take the safest route possible.
Thanks given by:
Something doesn't add up to me with Puljujarvi - who was fourth on his team in scoring. Aho had materially and substantially more points that Puljujarvi (almost double in less games). Aho is a year older but only one year and their offence doesn't seem comparable.

Of course, I'm only looking at stats but the stats are glaring.
Thanks given by:
(2016-05-27, 06:28 PM)Pouzar Wrote: Something doesn't add up to me with Puljujarvi - who was fourth on his team in scoring.  Aho had materially and substantially more points that Puljujarvi (almost double in less games).  Aho is a year older but only one year and their offence doesn't seem comparable.

Of course, I'm only looking at stats but the stats are glaring.

Aho is simply one of those 2nd line gem picks like Bergeron, Webber or Keith. He's going to be an elite player in the NHL. One of those who just slipped under the radar.

Puljujarvi is a big towering speedster with some flash and was little less likely to fly under the radar. That's the thing about the draft. I can't even tell you one draft where the best players fell in order of 1-2-3-4-5th overall, let alone up to 60. It's still a draft and still has an element of unpredictability and, dare I say, luck...
Thanks given by: