Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marty St. Louis To Have His Number 26 Retired Friday
https://www.nhl.com/lightning/team/marty26

SN 7:00 pm et, Game Centre Live

Followed by Blue Jackets @ Bolts

LIGHTNING TO RETIRE MARTIN ST. LOUIS' #26 THIS SEASON

Organization's All-Time Leading Point Scorer Becomes First in Team History to be Honored

TAMPA BAY - The Tampa Bay Lightning will retire the number 26 worn by the franchise's all-time leading scorer, Martin St. Louis, Chairman and Governor Jeff Vinik announced today. St. Louis, who becomes the first player in the history of the Lightning organization to have his jersey retired, played 972 games over 13 seasons with the team, tallying 365 goals and 588 assists for 953 points. He will be honored on Friday, January 13, 2017, when the Lightning host John Tortorella and the Columbus Blue Jackets at AMALIE Arena.

"Everyone in the organization is excited to celebrate and thank Marty for his immense long-term contributions to the Lightning's past successes and the Tampa Bay community," said Vinik upon making the announcement. "As Marty enters his second year in retirement from the game, we believe this season is the time to hang his number from the rafters at AMALIE Arena.

"Marty had a terrific career in Tampa Bay, making six All-Star appearances while setting numerous team records, all highlighted of course by the Stanley Cup win in 2004. We look forward to a wonderful retirement ceremony, recognizing him for all that he accomplished as a member of the Lightning."

St. Louis, signed by the Lightning as a free agent on July 31, 2000, currently ranks first in team history for points (953), assists (588), short-handed goals (28), game winning goals (64), hat tricks (8 - tied with Steven Stamkos), and power play points (300). He also ranks second in goals scored with 365, behind Vincent Lecavalier's 383 goals, and also second for games played with 972.

"To have my number retired by the Lightning is a tremendous honor and I'd like to thank Jeff Vinik and everyone in the organization for recognizing me this way," said St. Louis. "I have many great memories in Tampa Bay, including our great Stanley Cup win, and this night will be extremely special and emotional for my family and me.

"I am happy I will get to share the evening with all the Lightning fans who have always supported me throughout my career - Tampa Bay will always feel like home to me. Additionally, I recognize that none of this would have been possible without the help of many great teammates, trainers, and coaches and I thank them."

Known for his durability, St. Louis holds the franchise record for most consecutive games played with 499 from 2005-2011. During that span he played in every regular season and Stanley Cup Playoff game for more than five consecutive seasons.

His greatest single year with the Lightning came in 2003-04 when he helped lead the franchise to its only Stanley Cup championship. St. Louis won several individual honors that season, including the Art Ross Trophy as the NHL's point leader. He also won Hart Memorial Trophy as the NHL's Most Valuable Player and the Lester B. Pearson Award as the National Hockey League Players Association's Most Outstanding Player. He was also named a first team NHL All-Star.

Additionally, St. Louis played in six (2003, '04, '07, '08, '09, '11) NHL All-Star games, was a four-time All-NHL second team selection (2006-07, '09-10, '10-11, '12-13) and he won the Art Ross Trophy for the second time in 2012-13, becoming, at age 37, the oldest player in league history to be its single season leading scorer. St. Louis also won the NHL's Lady Byng Memorial Trophy three-times (2009-10, '10-11, '12-13), given to the player for his sportsmanship and gentlemanly play combined with a high standard of playing ability. St. Louis twice led the NHL in assists - with 56 in 2003-04 and with 43 in 48 games played in 2012-13.

A native of Laval, Quebec, St. Louis played college hockey for the University of Vermont, leading the Catamounts to the NCAA Frozen Four in 1996 while earning All-America status in three of those years (1994-95 through 1996-97). Internationally, St. Louis was a two-time Olympian (2006, 2014), winning a gold medal with Team Canada in 2014. In addition to playing for the Lightning from 2000-01 through 2013-14, he played for the Calgary Flames (1998-99 through 1999-2000) and the New York Rangers (2013-14 through 2014-15).
After All, Life Goes On
Thanks given by:
A player undrafted because of his size and has gone on to greatness. Good for him and it curdles my blood when I hear Marner and Nylander of the Leafs are TOO SMALL to compete in the NHL. BS.

I also think back to the late 90's and our Saint John Flames of the AHL then were on a road trip and due to injuries and call ups by Calgary we needed a couple of emergency players. St. Louis was plucked out of the ECHL what was only to be a few games until the got back home, but our local owner of the day, allowed to sign 3 players to AHL contracts signed St. Louis to a contract and now as they say the rest is history.

Well done Marty St. Louis. You have proven that there is a place of excellence for a smaller player in the NHL. Next stop will be the NHL Hall of Fame in a few years. Happy
After All, Life Goes On
Thanks given by: northern1
don't see him getting into the Hall. Don't think he has the numbers.

his team stats, will end up being dwarfed by Stamkos.
Thanks given by:
Is there any other athlete who's number also matched his height?
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 03:16 PM)Chris D Wrote: don't see him getting into the Hall.  Don't think he has the numbers.

He led his team to a cup - that doesn't factor in?
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 04:17 PM)Lumbergh Wrote:
(2017-01-11, 03:16 PM)Chris D Wrote: don't see him getting into the Hall.  Don't think he has the numbers.

Lots of people won cups...the aren't all in the Hall...

And as with others...the Cup is a team award.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 04:23 PM)Chris D Wrote:

6 time all star
1 time first-team all star
3 time lady byng winner
2 time art ross trophy winner (the second time being the oldest player to ever lead the league in scoring)
1 time hart memorial trophy winner
1 Stanley Cup
1 Olympic Gold
1 World Cup Champion

Really?  What other #'s does he need?
Thanks given by:
One of the two best moves the flames ever made:

1) not re-signing St. Louis in 2000

2) Trading Brett Hull (for Rob Ramage and Rick Wamsley)
Thanks given by:
Great player...Made a ton of dough doing what he loved to do.

But I lost a lot of respect for him in his final two years. The trade, the Olympics, and how all of that was handled publicly.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 04:39 PM)Pouzar Wrote: One of the two best moves the flames ever made:

2) Trading Brett Hall (for Rob Ramage and Rick Wamsley)

Do you mean.... the best two moves as an Oilers Fan?   Cool
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 04:39 PM)BlueMountain Wrote: Great player...Made a ton of dough doing what he loved to do.

But I lost a lot of respect for him in his final two years.  The trade, the Olympics, and how all of that was handled publicly.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I agree with this.  I just disagree that he isn't worthy of consideration for the hall.
Thanks given by:
A long read but IMO a reason why he will be in the Hall of Fame in a few seasons. Hey just my opinion all!

Lightning's Steven Stamkos on Marty St. Louis: Perfect mentor, friend

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/li...nd/2309190

Joe Smith, Times Staff Writer
TAMPA — Marty St. Louis hasn't worn a Lightning sweater in nearly three years.

His accomplishments may seem like ancient history, from the banners hanging in the Amalie Arena rafters to records in the back pages of the media guide. St. Louis' No. 26 will be officially retired Friday in a pre-game ceremony.

But you can still see the lasting impact of St. Louis on the current Lightning, especially captain Steven Stamkos. Stamkos, 26, said the person and player he's become was greatly shaped by St. Louis, his long-time friend and former linemate.

So it should come as no surprise that when Stamkos was making the biggest decision of his career last summer in re-signing with Tampa Bay, St. Louis was one of those who advised him.

"He was my mentor for sure," Stamkos said. "Everyone saw the chemistry we had on the ice, but not lot of people know, just because they don't get the behind-the-scenes look, of how much he meant to me. Not only as a teammate but as a great friend."

When Stamkos was an 18-year-old rookie, and No. 1 overall pick, in 2008, it was St. Louis who took him under his wing and showed him the type of work ethic required to be a pro. "It was the perfect situation for me," Stamkos said.

Stamkos had some of his best seasons while on a line with St. Louis, who assisted on 101 of his 321 career goals. He learned from St. Louis how to adapt in a league that's constantly becoming younger and faster. Stamkos' game has evolved, both in how he scores to his two-way game, including becoming a key contributor on the penalty kill.

"You can see the way Stammer wants to be better, wants to push his teammates to be better, a lot of that I think is from the way Marty did it," said defenseman Victor Hedman, who also played with St. Louis. "He was an unbelievable mentor to Stammer, and me."

When Stamkos took over as captain from St. Louis in March 2014, St. Louis having requested a trade to the Rangers, he had already developed his leadership style from watching St. Louis and Vinny Lecavalier. Stamkos' personality fits St. Louis' vocal style, sparking the team with between-period or post-game talks. "He knew when it was time to step up and talk or he'd go out and have a great shift, led by example," Stamkos said. "He was the unique guy that can do it both ways."

Stamkos wasn't the only Lightning player whom St. Louis helped mold. Tyler Johnson and Ondrej Palat played on a line with St. Louis their rookie year in 2013-14, when both were Calder Trophy finalists. Johnson said St. Louis was "one of the smartest players I've ever played with," helping both him and Palat accelerate their development. St. Louis would offer tips after every shift, influencing the way they play and think the game today.

"He helped us with our confidence," Palat said. "He'd tell me, 'You're playing with me now, you're first line, we're not going to dump the puck all the time, you've got to make the plays.' "

Stamkos, the face of the franchise, said the undrafted St. Louis may have never held that moniker because of the other greats on his teams like Lecavalier. But as Stamkos prepares his speech for Friday's pre-game St. Louis' ceremony, there are a few even more important words that will no doubt come up.

"Heart and soul are two words that will forever be attached to Marty St. Louis," Stamkos said. "For me, he was that, is that, and will always be that to this organization. That's something that nobody can take away and something I know when Marty looks in the mirror, he'll be pretty proud of."

Joe Smith can be reached at joesmith@tampabay.com. Follow @TBTimes_JSmith.
After All, Life Goes On
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 04:30 PM)Lumbergh Wrote:

6 time all star - awesome
1 time first-team all star - only once?
3 time lady byng winner - nice...so he plays clean...good for hin
2 time art ross trophy winner (the second time being the oldest player to ever lead the league in scoring) - awesome!...second one being the shortened season, and got most of his points assisting Stamkos
1 time hart memorial trophy winner - awesome
1 Stanley Cup - team sport
1 Olympic Gold - team sport (one filled with a bunch of other greats that will make the Hall.)
1 World Cup Champion - team sport

He had a very good career, with a few great accomplishments in it...and a couple great seasons, surrounded by some good seasons.

But on the whole, I just think it was not enough to be considered hall worthy.  1033 pts in 1134 games...again is good...but I don't think "great."
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 04:39 PM)Pouzar Wrote: One of the two best moves the flames ever made:

2) Trading Brett Hall Hull (for Rob Ramage and Rick Wamsley)

SN devil Grin
After All, Life Goes On
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 05:48 PM)CaperLeaf Wrote:

2) Trading Brett Hall Hull (for Rob Ramage and Rick Wamsley)

SN devil  Grin

Whoops - thank you.
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf
(2017-01-11, 04:45 PM)Lumbergh Wrote:

2) Trading Brett Hall (for Rob Ramage and Rick Wamsley)

Do you mean.... the best two moves as an Oilers Fan?   Cool

Is there any other perspective to take?
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 04:01 PM)ZappaScores Wrote: Is there any other athlete who's number also matched his height?

Not sure but Lucic wears his IQ.
I have sex daily. I mean dyslexia.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 09:56 PM)OldSchool Wrote:
(2017-01-11, 04:01 PM)ZappaScores Wrote: Is there any other athlete who's number also matched his height?

I didn't know this until he became and Oiler and I started paying attention to him but Lucic is actually quite an intelligent and articulate man and very much a student of the game.

I don't actually expect any Hab fan to believe that given their history with the Bruins, however, it seems to be the case.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 09:59 PM)Pouzar Wrote:
(2017-01-11, 09:56 PM)OldSchool Wrote:

I didn't know this until he became and Oiler and I started paying attention to him but Lucic is actually quite an intelligent and articulate man and very much a student of the game.

I don't actually expect any Hab fan to believe that given their history with the Bruins, however, it seems to be the case.

And if he ever became a Hab I'd probably agree. But he's just a neanderthal for now. One would be amazed how many of them actually play hockey and all on the Bruins. Amazing.
I have sex daily. I mean dyslexia.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 05:25 PM)Chris D Wrote:
(2017-01-11, 04:30 PM)Lumbergh Wrote:

6 time all star - awesome
1 time first-team all star - only once?
3 time lady byng winner - nice...so he plays clean...good for hin
2 time art ross trophy winner (the second time being the oldest player to ever lead the league in scoring) - awesome!...second one being the shortened season, and got most of his points assisting Stamkos
1 time hart memorial trophy winner - awesome
1 Stanley Cup - team sport
1 Olympic Gold - team sport (one filled with a bunch of other greats that will make the Hall.)
1 World Cup Champion - team sport

He had a very good career, with a few great accomplishments in it...and a couple great seasons, surrounded by some good seasons.

But on the whole, I just think it was not enough to be considered hall worthy.  1033 pts in 1134 games...again is good...but I don't think "great."

Lots of players have more points than St. Louis,  there's many other players I'd choose ahead of him.
Warning:  Brain May not be Engaged.
Thanks given by: