Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Merry Christmas
To all the posters out there: Have a Merry Christmas with your families and friends. May 2017 be kind to you and bring prosperity. Wishing you all well.

AND: May my team beat yours!!  Icon_twisted
Thanks given by:
Merry Christmas, to you Tony - and to all as well.  

Arsenal > United  Icon_twisted

Thanks given by:
Same to you all.

Gonna drink some whisky this Christmas, hooo boy!
Thanks given by:
Yes, a very merry christmas to all of you. I hope your teams score more goals than you concede, except against Liverpool.
Thanks given by:
May your days be filled with holiday cheer.
Merry Christmas lads.
Courage, my word, it didn't come, it doesn't matter.
Thanks given by:
Merry Christmas.

I hope all Arsenal fans are gifted with a hungry, motivated Meszut Ozil in the last half of the season.
"Larry Bird isn't white, he's clear" - Bill Murray
Thanks given by:
It's been a slice fellas, Merry Christmas! I'll likely be offline in about 15 minutes for the next week or so, time with the family, and if rumours are true, a crap ton of shoveling is in my near future!
Thanks given by:
All the big boys have won so far. Only Tottenham left to play.

On the other board the Chelsea fan has just likened Chelsea to Barcelona, and complained that Ibrahimovic is keeping young talent out of the United team.
Thanks given by:
The other boards?

Oh right...the one with two posters, one of whom "supports" united after being a sycophant for the other one? Classic stuff lads.

Chelsea likening themselves to Barcelona is as funny as it gets. The G14 didn't liken themselves to one another. Chelsea aren't a part of this. Plastic takes all shapes eh? The Chelsea Legend Oscar moulded himself nicely into fried rice and chicken feet.

They should win the league of course. Playing a brand of football that is just boring and uninteresting. This reminds me of that year United won the league playing nice football, but it was "a gift from the rest of the league because no one is playing well"

Liverpool, as much as it pains me to say it, is the best club outside of United to watch at the moment.
Thanks given by:
Embarrassed for the EPl on the latest United win. Officiating incompetence, bordering on the criminal. I really wish the performance review of game officials was a transparent process.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-02, 02:12 PM)Arsenal Wrote: Embarrassed for the EPl on the latest United win.  Officiating incompetence, bordering on the criminal.  I really wish the performance review of game officials was a transparent process.

The ball bounced the other way for the past two years. Wasn't a red, and Zlatan's goal was offside, but that's the human element. 

Vardy's sending off a couple weeks ago was worse IMO, officiating across the board hasn't been great, this isn't a United only benefit.
Thanks given by:
They upheld that red for Vardy, which was weird. Feghouli's has just been appealed too, but something tells me it will be upheld as well.

Arsenal...I implore you to be impartial in this respect. I know it's tough, as a card carrying member of the ABU, but if you watched the other matches, you will see it was dreadful across the board.

Lee Mason had another really poor match vs City. It wasn't as bad as his performance in the M'boro v United match, but it wasn't great. Fernandinho's sending off was also debatable.

Anthony Taylor didn't have all that great a game at Sunderland v Liverpool either. Missed a clear cut handball on Can...then gave a supremely soft foul call on Defoe. He missed a pretty big foul call on Sturridge as well.

What's more disturbing is the notion that if the refs are blowing these calls upon hindsight review, they're then issuing make up calls as the game goes on. Like soft fouls against the team that originally benefited, and then allowing the originally punished team to get away with murder. The latter being the case with WHU after the Feghouli sending off. There were several incidents of dangerous play that went unpunished.

The real risk, however, is punishing the officials for one call. I get that the red for WHU spoiled the game for them, but I wonder if the outcome would have been any different. Same with the Sunderland v Liverpool game. Or the City v Burnley match. Or the United v Boro match. All of these games came out with the expected result based off the balance of play.

The big progress for me is the goal line technology. This has been the one implementation that has directly impacted the incorrect results of matches being put right.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-03, 12:08 PM)Busby Wrote: They upheld that red for Vardy, which was weird.  Feghouli's has just been appealed too, but something tells me it will be upheld as well.  

Arsenal...I implore you to be impartial in this respect.  I know it's tough, as a card carrying member of the ABU, but if you watched the other matches, you will see it was dreadful across the board.  

Lee Mason had another really poor match vs City.  It wasn't as bad as his performance in the M'boro v United match, but it wasn't great.  Fernandinho's sending off was also debatable.  

Anthony Taylor didn't have all that great a game at Sunderland v Liverpool either.  Missed a clear cut handball on Can...then gave a supremely soft foul call on Defoe.  He missed a pretty big foul call on Sturridge as well.  

What's more disturbing is the notion that if the refs are blowing these calls upon hindsight review, they're then issuing make up calls as the game goes on.  Like soft fouls against the team that originally benefited, and then allowing the originally punished team to get away with murder.  The latter being the case with WHU after the Feghouli sending off.  There were several incidents of dangerous play that went unpunished.  

The real risk, however, is punishing the officials for one call.  I get that the red for WHU spoiled the game for them, but I wonder if the outcome would have been any different.  Same with the Sunderland v Liverpool game.  Or the City v Burnley match.  Or the United v Boro match.  All of these games came out with the expected result based off the balance of play.  

The big progress for me is the goal line technology.  This has been the one implementation that has directly impacted the incorrect results of matches being put right.

More than weird, that's just wrong. 

He's going in for a fair challenge only to be knocked clear off balance... seriously, how did they get that so wrong????

In every game I've watched this year, including those I've only caught glimpses of... I've seen things that are clearly wrong in terms of officiating. Again, this isn't a United thing, it's an officiating thing.
Thanks given by:
I would agree that there are numerous calls that are questionable, not sure if it is more than before though.

I thought Vardy's red was borderline, so I'm not surprised it stuck. I am one of the few who think Ibra's goal was correctly disallowed for dangerous play, so again its fine margins.
Can should have had a penalty against him, and Sturridge a foul for him.

Busby correctly identifies the real issue, which is make up calls. You get one wrong, so you try and even it out. This is why fans are seeing such blatant inconsistency.
Get one wrong, fair enough, jut get all the rest right and let the season balance it up. Don't try and fix it in that game.
Thanks given by:
Yeah that's the interesting aspect is the make ups. Literally every ref I've seen and played a game under (aka shittest level to toppest) does this make up stuff.

I can also see the reasoning in ALL the questionable calls. I can absolutely see why both of Ibra's last goals were disallowed and given (the offside one). I can also see why Feghouli got a red. He left the ground and the ball was gone when he made his lunge. Certainly dangerous play. Same for Fernandinho's red. Same for the lack of handball call on Can. Same for the foul on Defoe. Even the one on Rashford or Martial (AM had two in the last two games). Even the foul on Henderson in the derby game. I can see why all these calls are made the way they are.

I think the refs are just as tired as the players, over the xmas period.

All that being said though...this is no worse than any year previously or to come. Just interesting talking points and match interviews. Guardiola's was a ***** gem of an interview. Top *****.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-03, 01:38 PM)theDC Wrote:
(2017-01-03, 12:08 PM)Busby Wrote: They upheld that red for Vardy, which was weird.  Feghouli's has just been appealed too, but something tells me it will be upheld as well.  

Arsenal...I implore you to be impartial in this respect.  I know it's tough, as a card carrying member of the ABU, but if you watched the other matches, you will see it was dreadful across the board.  

Lee Mason had another really poor match vs City.  It wasn't as bad as his performance in the M'boro v United match, but it wasn't great.  Fernandinho's sending off was also debatable.  

Anthony Taylor didn't have all that great a game at Sunderland v Liverpool either.  Missed a clear cut handball on Can...then gave a supremely soft foul call on Defoe.  He missed a pretty big foul call on Sturridge as well.  

What's more disturbing is the notion that if the refs are blowing these calls upon hindsight review, they're then issuing make up calls as the game goes on.  Like soft fouls against the team that originally benefited, and then allowing the originally punished team to get away with murder.  The latter being the case with WHU after the Feghouli sending off.  There were several incidents of dangerous play that went unpunished.  

The real risk, however, is punishing the officials for one call.  I get that the red for WHU spoiled the game for them, but I wonder if the outcome would have been any different.  Same with the Sunderland v Liverpool game.  Or the City v Burnley match.  Or the United v Boro match.  All of these games came out with the expected result based off the balance of play.  

The big progress for me is the goal line technology.  This has been the one implementation that has directly impacted the incorrect results of matches being put right.

He's going in for a fair challenge only to be knocked clear off balance... seriously, how did they get that so wrong????

In every game I've watched this year, including those I've only caught glimpses of... I've seen things that are clearly wrong in terms of officiating. Again, this isn't a United thing, it's an officiating thing.

Yeah I can see it from both sides.  Having the time to think about it and seeing the slow motion replay it looks like the wrong call.  In real time, it's two feet.  Even if he's pushed, he doesn't need both feet.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-03, 04:01 PM)Busby Wrote:
(2017-01-03, 01:38 PM)theDC Wrote:

Yeah I can see it from both sides.  Having the time to think about it and seeing the slow motion replay it looks like the wrong call.  In real time, it's two feet.  Even if he's pushed, he doesn't need both feet.

My issue is more not overturning the appeal. Fine, red on the day, human error, optics and all that. But having time to look at it, and seeing that his second foot only comes into play after he's knocked over.. You've got to overturn that.
Thanks given by:
Some level of real time match officiating oversight is coming.  It's inevitable.  There's simply too much money in play.  The introduction of goal line technology has been a brilliant success.  Would it be that hard to expand the scope to include balls in and out of touch all around the park?

I would suggest another piece of low hanging fruit would be offside decisions that lead to goals.  The match officials already wear headsets.  How difficult would it be for an offpark official looking at a tv screen to determine offside on every goal scored?  The review would be done before the teams line up for the restart, and the ref gets a 'good goal/ bad goal' verification in his headset.  I realize this won't help root out incorrect off side decisions made on the field that kill scoring opportunities, but let's crawl before we walk.

Examples like Ibra's clear offside goal is embarrassing for the game at large.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-03, 08:03 PM)Arsenal Wrote: Some level of real time match officiating oversight is coming.  It's inevitable.  There's simply too much money in play.  The introduction of goal line technology has been a brilliant success.  Would it be that hard to expand the scope to include balls in and out of touch all around the park?

I would suggest another piece of low hanging fruit would be offside decisions that lead to goals.  The match officials already wear headsets.  How difficult would it be for an offpark official looking at a tv screen to determine offside on every goal scored?  The review would be done before the teams line up for the restart, and the ref gets a 'good goal/ bad goal' verification in his headset.  I realize this won't help root out incorrect off side decisions made on the field that kill scoring opportunities, but let's crawl before we walk.

Examples like Ibra's clear offside goal is embarrassing for the game at large.

His first should have counted, the refs got in right in that, Zlatan scores.
Thanks given by:
The problem, Arsenal, is that it's a slippery slope. If you start reviewing those calls (balls out of touch, are you kidding?) then you have to review everything.

I think the fact that money is involved, and the FA is essentially a betting organization, the use of video reply to judge play calls is exactly the reason they won't do this type of thing.

Its clear they're looking at these calls and judging how they've affected a match. Ibra's offside goal was nothing. Same with Henrik's vs Sunderland. The red cards, I will agree could be reviewed, but I think you would have a VERY hard time seeing those overturned during match play.

Nearly %50 of red cards are for dangerous play. I don't think anyone wants to go back to the days where players are getting heavily injured. The game is better, and the players are safer.
Thanks given by: