Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.14 Average
Movie Reviews
Anyone see The Drop with Gandolfini and Hardy? It's on my list.
"Larry Bird isn't white, he's clear" - Bill Murray
Thanks given by:
The Drop: Saw this last week, and thought it was great. A fascinating, intriguing storyline with good character development. Tom Hardy is establishing himself as one of the best actors in Hollywood. 9/10

The Maze Runner: I was captivated in the first hour, but the storyline grew rather tiresome towards the end. I also thought just about every actor they got was annoying. The storyline seemed like a ripoff of Lord of the Flies and Hunger Games. 6/10

Annabelle: Saw a screening of this last night as it doesn't come out till Friday. There were a lot of jump scares. It's not the doll that's creepy, but rather the demon that possesses it. It was enjoyable, but I'm also a sucker for horror movies. 6.5/10
Thanks given by:
The Maze Runner was interesting because of the initial concept. But my impression from watching the movie was that the story will likely take a downward spiral into crappiness as the trilogy goes on.

Agreed on the acting, I wasn't a fan of a few of them. Then again, that tends to happen when you're casting youth in serious roles.

It's an exciting movie as long as you don't take it too seriously.
Thanks given by:
I saw The Drop on Sunday. Loved it thought it was a great film.
Thanks given by:
do a movie called Life. make it a trilogy.

you can have it about a boy from birth to 18.. sequal 19 to 54 and then the 3rd movie from 55 to his death.
Warning:  Brain May not be Engaged.
Thanks given by:
(2014-10-07, 12:09 PM)Seamus Wrote: I saw The Drop on Sunday. Loved it thought it was a great film.

What did you think of Hardy's accent?
Thanks given by:
I know people are sensitive about NY/NJ accents by outsiders (Scarlet Johannsen in Don Jon par example) but I'm not from there and don't let it affect my opinion on the movie one way or another. For a Welshman he certainly did a good job of hiding his Welsh accent. More importantly than getting a Brooklyn accent right I thought the accent he used suited and enhanced his character.

I saw A Walk Among The Tombstones and Englishman Dan Stevens did another (The Guest) great job of hiding his accent in an American film. You'd never know he's a star on Downton Abbey.
Thanks given by:
Saw Gone Girl last night, and I thought it was just awesome. I hadn't read the book, but I knew it was supposed to be very weird and different. The lead actress was phenomenal. Ben Affleck was okay playing just an 'everyday normal guy'.
9/10
Thanks given by:
I just saw Gone Girl too.
Was wicked good, funny at times, and definitely a weird one.
I wanna see it again now that I don't have to follow the plot.
I can pay attention to other aspects second time around.
Thanks given by:
Saw 'The Judge' last night with Robert Downey Jr and Robert Duvall. It had a really good cast with Vera Farmiga and Billy Bob Thornton in supporting roles. 9/10.

SMALL SPOILERS

I really enjoyed this movie. It had a lot of themes that I'm sure hit home with viewers. You got the big dog returning to his small little hometown where he thought he had left all of his problems. You've got the concept of loss and dealing with dependent children. The struggle between a hard, stern father and a bright, yet troubled son. Great movie, highly recommended.
Thanks given by:
Just saw the Protector yesterday. Awesome first half, but a horrible 2nd half. 6/20/ because Tony Jaa was a beast in the movie.
Thanks given by:
Gone Girl - Great movie based on a great book. A very accurate adaptation, they didnt change anything major that I can recall. The casting was very good in this movie. Watch out for Rosamund Pike in the next year or two, this could be the movie that pushes her into the spotlight. She was fantastic.

Fury - Acting was good and action was good. The final ~20-30 minutes or so was pretty unrealistic though. Pretty good movie overall.
Thanks given by:
Saw Fury last week. Was good, good performances and visuals. More violent than I expected but I'll agree about the ending not so much the "showdown" was too unrealistic but the young kids fate never would have happened considering what had just taken place lol otherwise good film.

Seen John Wick last night. Great B movie action flick. Similar to say Dredd last year. Great action movie but flys under the radar. An hour/half of Neo owning people is an entertaining outing to the show lol

#headshots lol
Thanks given by:
Saw Fury and Dracula today.

Fury was great. Fantastic acting, and even though it was unrealistic, I loved the ending. I really enjoyed watching the development of the young guy's character, going from innocent, good natured kid to war torn, hateful, vengeful Nazi killer. 8/10

Dracula was basically as expected, not very good. The acting out of the male lead was okay, but the female lead, who I found out is from Toronto, was just terrible, and there was zero chemistry between the two. The story seemed all over the place, and the last battle was just ridiculously stupid. 5/10
Thanks given by:
Dracula looked absolutely terrible going by the trailer, no interest in seeing that one
Thanks given by:
There weren't many redeeming factors from Dracula. Like I said, I thought the lead actor was good. He was very believable in the role, but the rest of the acting was pretty terrible. The storyline seemed very rushed, and there wasn't a whole lot of character development.

The 1992 film, Bram Stoker's Dracula, was far superior, but that also had Gary Oldman. That film also only spent about 2 minutes focusing on the actual creation of Dracula. In the newer one, the whole 90 minutes was devoted to telling the origin story of Dracula. The only problem is, I don't think anyone really cares all that much.
Thanks given by:
John Wick is an average action film.

It has immense plot holes but it has awesome fight scenes and the choreography and setting for the fights is entertaining. Its entertainment, but if you pay attention to the story for more than 30 seconds you'll hate the film.

Its wierd, John Wick, Man of Tai Chi, and 47 Ronin are all Keanu Reeves action flicks that have wonderful fights, but horrible film content. Action movies are a dead genre and I wish they'd go back to the 70s and 80s films, at least they had decent stories or I hope they start to do what films like The Raid did. Make the action a necessity rather than an accessible tool that can be used at one's leisure.

6/10.
Thanks given by:
there wasn't that much plot to get.. retired hitman has an encounter with some thugs, gets pulled back into the game, kills a bunch of people for revenge the end lol

the story wasn't even really big enough to have immense plot holes.

reminded me a lot of dredd. just a straight forward no frills action movie, very simple but a good time.
Thanks given by:
I loved John Wick. It's the kind of movie you can't take too seriously, but at the same time, they make it semi-realistic by showing the main character's vulnerabilities when he
The fight sequences were just awesome. I don't really know what there was to hate about the plot. ReservoirDog is bang on... It's just a simple, straight forward revenge story. I would give it a 9/10.

What did you hate about the story?
Thanks given by:
I felt it was missing. I wish they expanded on elements like the "Continental Hotel", the codes and laws and how they've been. I wonder fi this film will have a sequel, there's enough of a framework laid out for another one.

I wanted more from Reeves character other than him yelling about his opportunity to mourn alone was snatched from him. A bit of background on the work he did for the Russian mobster would've sufficed.
Thanks given by: