Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NASCAR Discussion
Big shocker today with the news Carl Edwards is retiring, at just age 37, and coming so close to winning the title this year.

Press conference at 10am tomorrow for the official announcement. Current Xfinity series champion Daniel Suarez expected to be announced as his replacement.
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf
(2017-01-10, 05:50 PM)thebest41587 Wrote: Big shocker today with the news Carl Edwards is retiring, at just age 37, and coming so close to winning the title this year.

Press conference at 10am tomorrow for the official announcement. Current Xfinity series champion Daniel Suarez expected to be announced as his replacement.

Yep saw that NBC Sports App. Almost right out of left field. Could a year off for reflection after a few near misses last season and what happened to Jr . I think he will be back in 2018! Fox is denying he will go into their broadcast booth but NBC not commenting??

Also, Dale jr got married finally, lol as well as Kurt Bush! Interesting off season for sure.
GO LEAFS GO!!
Thanks given by:
What, 5 weeks to Daytona 500! Time flies! Can't wait.
GO LEAFS GO!!
Thanks given by:
All belly button cars. No shops allowed to build cars with whatever they can come up with to win. The real Nascar is long gone.
"I've been obnoxious.....I've been unconscious.......I've been all kinds of things that are hard to spell."

Stephen Bruton
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 08:49 PM)Wilson Green Wrote: All belly button cars. No shops allowed to build cars with whatever they can come up with to win. The real Nascar is long gone.

Agree. I have Fox Racing Channel, the old Speed Channel, and I am always checking for the early days of NASCAR racing with the old street stock cars. Yeas the old days Wilson are gone. Was up to Geary RaceWay a few years ago where they had an old stock vintage race. The cars had door handles but the doors were welded. Those were the days!
GO LEAFS GO!!
Thanks given by:
nothing "stock" about these stock cars.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 09:27 AM)Chris D Wrote: nothing "stock" about these stock cars.

No but they are cookie cutter on the outside, power and performance on the inside. Chrysler will be back this year in a small way so I heard.

But I think what Wilson was getting at was the older days the cars were mainly street cars on the tracks. The sport has come a long way thankfully.
GO LEAFS GO!!
Thanks given by:
thats pretty much what I was alluding to as well...if they did things in the 70s, like they do today, you would never have seen the Superbird and Daytona in production.

They were designed specifically for Nascar, but they had a rule that so many had to be produced for public purchase.
Thanks given by:
Since the late 90's NASCAR has been trying to have the common body style.

France needs to be kicked in the nuts for coming up with the stupid ass shit. The whole chase concept has alienated a lot of us old war horse types who have been watching the series for decades.............
Thanks given by: Wilson Green , Wilson Green
I'm not a fan of the Chase either.

I do like how competitive it has become though. Sure you had the uniqueness of the cars back in the day, but you also knew only about 5 guys had a shot at winning each week, and early in the race, that'd drop even more as guys would fall lap after lap down.

Now you have 15-20 guys each week with a chance to win, 25-30 on the plate tracks. 20-25 guys finishing on the lead lap in becoming commonplace.
46 days until the Daytona 500
GO LEAFS GO!!
Thanks given by:
http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/46...don-011117

GO LEAFS GO!!
Thanks given by:
http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/ca...ies-011117
Tom Jensen
Jan 11, 2017 at 1:34p ET
Carl Edwards on Wednesday made official what FOXSports.com first reported a day earlier: He is leaving Joe Gibbs Racing and will not compete in NASCAR in 2017.

Appearing at a press conference at JGR’s headquarters in Huntersville, N.C., Edwards said, “I’m stepping away from full-time driving in the Cup Series. … I don’t have any intention of going back to full-time racing.”

But he isn’t officially retiring.

“I’m not using the ‘R’ word,” Edwards said of retirement, leaving the door open for a future return to JGR. Edwards said he won’t race for another team but could do some other racing in the future.

Edwards said there were three reasons he was leaving the cockpit: 1. He’s satisfied with his career. 2. He wants to devote time to the people in his life. And 3. He wants to stay healthy.

“I know right now you’re thinking, ‘Well, you don’t have a championship,’” said Edwards of his first reason. “Well, Jimmie [Johnson] has got some extras if he wants to send one my way, but truly, you guys know that I don’t race just for the trophies.”

Reason No. 2 is familiar to anyone who works in the sport: It consumes your life.

“This is an all‑encompassing thing,” said Edwards. “You guys, we do this, and it’s full‑time.  And not just the physical time, but I wake up in the morning thinking about racing. I think about it all day. I go to bed thinking about it. And I have dreams about racing.

“And that’s just how it is,” Edwards said. “I’ve been doing that for 20 years, and I need to take that time right now and devote it to people and things that are important to me, things I’m really passionate about.” Count family high on that list.

The third reason Edwards cited was his own health, which is fine right now and he aims to keep it that way.

“It’s a risky sport.  I’m aware of the risks,” he said. “I don’t like how it feels to take the hits that we take, and I’m a sharp guy, and I want to be a sharp guy in 30 years. So those risks are something that I want to minimize.”

Another factor, although not specifically listed as a reason to leave by Edwards is that sometimes it’s just time to make a change.

“Life’s short,” said Edwards. “You’ve got to do what your gut tells you.”

The driver said he had no specific future plans figured out yet.

“There’s no life raft I’m jumping on,” he said. “I’m just jumping. And in a way that makes it easier.”

Edwards told team owner Joe Gibbs of his decision in mid-December, which shocked Gibbs.

“I was totally surprised,” said  Gibbs. “There was nothing about contracts or future plans … certainly, this one threw us a curve ball.”

Gibbs said he hopes Edwards will continue to do work with the team, even if he doesn’t drive any longer.

Daniel Suarez, the reigning NASCAR XFINITY Series champion, will take over for Edwards behind the wheel of the No. 19 JGR Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Toyota Camry for the season.

“Daniel was the obvious choice,” said Gibbs. “… We felt like that was a great choice for us.”

The most revelatory moment of the press conference was when Edwards was asked about being a role model.

“Man, I don’t know.  It’s very flattering,” he said.

Then, fighting back tears, he added, “I just want to be a good person, you know. Sorry, guys. Damn camera shutters are killing me there. It’s the lighting, it’s awful.

“I’m sorry, it’s just nice of you to say, and I just think about the ‑‑ it’s important to me to be ‑‑ to do the right thing. I do not always do the right thing, and just like anyone, there are things I wish I could do over, and that’s that.  Okay.”
GO LEAFS GO!!
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 05:23 PM)thebest41587 Wrote: I'm not a fan of the Chase either.

I do like how competitive it has become though. Sure you had the uniqueness of the cars back in the day, but you also knew only about 5 guys had a shot at winning each week, and early in the race, that'd drop even more as guys would fall lap after lap down.

Now you have 15-20 guys each week with a chance to win, 25-30 on the plate tracks. 20-25 guys finishing on the lead lap in becoming commonplace.

Not to twist your words here but by setting up the Chase the way they have they are doing exactly that, at least with regards to the "War".

What I mean by that is they are whittling down that field so that only a few teams have a shot at taking home the crown. Effectively stifling a good portion of the field from the War. The whole premise to the game is to come out on top, and by eliminating teams they are effectively stalling those teams.

Does that make sense?

the big reason behind the Chase was when Kenseth won his Cup he only won one race while other drivers won multiple races, the brain trust did not like that, but honestly if you want and it works out perfectly we will one day have a driver win the Cup without winning a race, stroking his way to a championship.........nobody wants that!
Thanks given by:
On TSN 5 Sat night @8:30 the first unofficial race, 2017 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup: Advance Auto Parts Clash! can't wait for this.

No Stewart, No Edwards and Stewart-Hauss Racing now driving Fords and Truex Jr a Toyota. Going to be nice!
GO LEAFS GO!!
Thanks given by:
heard they are messing things up as much as they can....having 3 stage races now... for Daytona, they are having 60 laps for stages 1 and 2, than 80 lap 3rd stage...points being awarded after every stage.

convoluted if you ask me...and diminishes the importance of the full 500, if you happen to have a good opening, it doesn't hurt as much if you fail to finish later...you can DNF, and you'll still get points
Thanks given by:
I have not been following NASCAR for some time, but I do believe it's dying a slow death.

It should return to it's roots (minus the racism) and re-grow itself from the grassroots up. It tinkered with being a major sport, but unfortunately they dropped the ball miserably a decade or so ago.

Time for a re-start.
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf , CaperLeaf
(2017-02-17, 08:42 PM)Chris D Wrote: heard they are messing things up as much as they can....having 3 stage races now... for Daytona, they are having 60 laps for stages 1 and 2, than 80 lap 3rd stage...points being awarded after every stage.

convoluted if you ask me...and diminishes the importance of the full 500, if you happen to have a good opening, it doesn't hurt as much if you fail to finish later...you can DNF, and you'll still get points

Yep don't like that at all. I liked the old way. 12 top cars/drivers duke it out with the best team being the Champs at Homestead! It shows that the brand is losing some of the shine. Sad
GO LEAFS GO!!
Thanks given by:
(2017-02-17, 11:50 PM)Limestoner Wrote: I have not been following NASCAR for some time, but I do believe it's dying a slow death.

It should return to it's roots (minus the racism) and re-grow itself from the grassroots up. It tinkered with being a major sport, but unfortunately they dropped the ball miserably a decade or so ago.

Time for a re-start.

Fully agree! I am surprised they didn't go with a PPV format for races like Daytona.
GO LEAFS GO!!
Thanks given by:
Joey Logano wins The Clash. Passing Denny Hamlin and Brad Keselowski on the last lap for the win, as Hamlin cut off Keselowski trying to block his pass for the lead, and ended up wrecking.

Kyle Busch noses Alex Bowman and Danica Patrick at the line, as they were 3 wide for 2nd place.

Logano becomes the 22nd different winner in the events 39 year history, it's also the 10th time there has been a pass for the win on the last lap.